Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2000 lightning-
So I picked up some 44's with 150lbs spring upgrade, for the lightning.
cams- stage 3 blower grind, 236/243 .550 / 540, 110/120CL, 115 LSA, these cams had MPH degree service.

put them on, and installed twin 255 pumps i had on the shelf for a few years new in box.
checked key on fuel pressure, and idle fuel pressure, all good.

Long tubes, no cats, and just an 18" collector extension..... no other exhaust installed, so its Loud as Fk trying to datalog. =)

JJ is tuning it and this thing is being a pain in the ass honestly. stock lower pulley and i think its a 2.9 or 3.0 upper.

Start up idle AF is 14.5-15.0 back and forth.
70mph OD off, about the same AF than roll into boost and it will only go to 12.8-13.2 at 5-6 lbs, and climb a big if I go up in boost. Wierd thing is, when i star to roll into boost, it seems to want to go lean, than starts to richen up just not enough.

Im about out of ideas, STFT/s are .95-1.05 while normal drive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
added a few video's of small pulls duing datalog

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks buddy,
Yeah working on the fuel pressure readings today. Ill get you the Key on pressure, idle pressure, and under load pressure if I can get the gauge to reach from under the hood.

Email sent.

Fuel pressure needs to be verified at idle and under load. Tune is set for an 11.0 air fuel ratio under load.

No worries, we will get it figured out and dialed in.

[email protected]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
key on not running was 38-40,
idle was 56-58
normal drive was 56-58

get into some boost and it drops to 50 or just under.

i verified the vac lines are clear, when i put a vac on the pressure reg it holds a vacuum, and the line from the mid plate is clear also, verified by blowing on the line. Also when the end on the mid plate has vacuum on that end, i can watch the boost actuator draw up so i know the lines are air tight. This is also an EGR delete truck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Idle should be 39-40 with vacuumed removed.
For should go up 1 psi per psi of boost

Sounds like your pumps are over running the stock return line. Pretty common.

I have been wondering that also, if that is what is happening. i been reading my pressure's listed above are pretty high.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is what is confusing me, base idle is 56-58....... no damn idea why its so high

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Work with your tuner before reaching for answers. These trucks are old and may have underlying conditions to deal with.

Jim

I been working with my tuner.....

the issue is that he is very busy and doesnt get back to me every second i email him and i dont expect that. What im trying to figure out is wth is going on with my fuel system.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have an adjustable fpr can you adjust it? If not, you need one.

I tore it all apart tonight to get the stock rails off, and looking for 97 rails, I ordered an adjustable reg, adaptors for the return line, both sides to -6, and the hose.

when i took off my stock rails, i wanted to check the FPR that was installed. Took off the C clip, and pulled it out. It all looked good but the center wouldnt move in and out at all. im wondering if it got seized up or what/ kind of makes me think that if it was stuck, it could have been an issue.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
I tore it all apart tonight to get the stock rails off, and looking for 97 rails, I ordered an adjustable reg, adaptors for the return line, both sides to -6, and the hose.

when i took off my stock rails, i wanted to check the FPR that was installed. Took off the C clip, and pulled it out. It all looked good but the center wouldnt move in and out at all. im wondering if it got seized up or what/ kind of makes me think that if it was stuck, it could have been an issue.
You are on the right track.

You were over running the regultor for sure and you will fix that with the parts you have coming.

Once you change those parts set your base fuel pressure at 40 with the vacuum line off the regulator and then send me a new idle data log.

Email coming with same information and have no worries, I'll get you dialed in with no problem.

[email protected]

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,951 Posts
the issue is that he is very busy and doesnt get back to me every second i email him and i dont expect that. What im trying to figure out is wth is going on with my fuel system.
He's actually been the most professional and best email tuner I've worked with so far. He will get you right. I understand it sucks when tuning doesn't go issue free, but these trucks are old and people dont do things as they should be. An experienced tuner has far superior knowledge of fuel systems and what works compared to the majority of "normal" people. Hang in there man. You'll be fine.

·
10 second street truck
12,416 Posts
He's actually been the most professional and best email tuner I've worked with so far. He will get you right. I understand it sucks when tuning doesn't go issue free, but these trucks are old and people dont do things as they should be. An experienced tuner has far superior knowledge of fuel systems and what works compared to the majority of "normal" people. Hang in there man. You'll be fine.
Plus he's just the tuner. Mechanical issues aren't his problem here. And trying to tune around them is a big problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Preach. He can easily say fix your truck and get back when it's fixed.
I agree 100%. This is why i posted, to find possible solution to the fuel system.

Last part im still looking for is a set of 97 rails.... looks like the market dried up lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts