Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if its my guage that is garbage but my trans temps supposedly hit 280 and even 300 with barely being in traffic and 260ish while cruising..

I have a PI 2600, JLP VB, and a 4x4 pan.

I took off my heat shields that go around the exhaust, only thing i can think of is the radiant heat from the exhaust is giving the trans temp sensor a false reading because its just sitting there baking it because it is literally right there next to the collector.

Anyone have similar issues before?

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
General rule during normal driving with no trans cooling upgrades is approximately 100 degrees over ambient. I've always heard 220 degrees or more is the danger zone for ATF. The stall will increase temps in traffic due to the added slip.

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the stall is gonna make it run quite a bit hotter but 300 is just insane, if the ATF was 300 degrees i dont think the trans would be operating very well, but it shifts just fine. :smt102

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
What gauge do you have that you think is garbage? i think a good rule of thumb is that if you change to a higher stall than the stock converter, you need to upgrade the transmission cooler. Heat is a transmission killer as I am sure you know.

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just have a glowshift analog guage, it seemed to be accurate before i went built so im pretty sure its getting false readings from the exhaust heat now that i took the heat shield off.

I did plan on doing the SD cooler in the future. But now it may be sooner than later apparently if those temps i am seeing are real

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
what gauge do you have..
I read mine from the aeroforce..

I cant see anything making the trans run that out

·
Grilling tonight.
4,226 Posts
last time i drove my truck it got stuck in second and heated the **** out of the trans, based on the aeroforce gauge it was around 260* and was not happy with life. If you hit 300 then as stated before you'd probably have more obvious issues.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Not sure if its my guage that is garbage but my trans temps supposedly hit 280 and even 300 with barely being in traffic and 260ish while cruising..

I have a PI 2600, JLP VB, and a 4x4 pan.

I took off my heat shields that go around the exhaust, only thing i can think of is the radiant heat from the exhaust is giving the trans temp sensor a false reading because its just sitting there baking it because it is literally right there next to the collector.

Anyone have similar issues before?
Why not re-install the heat shields! That is kinda what they were designed for!

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
Heat shields are only good for making wrenching difficult and weighing the truck down.
Having them or not does not contribute to transmission temps.

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why not re-install the heat shields! That is kinda what they were designed for!
I just re installed them today just to rule it out, gonna get the exhaust fully buttoned up tonight and drive it tomorrow to see what happens.

·
"01 Fastblack"
320 Posts
I have a phantom trans gauge that seems to be very accurate and a Moroso pan, trans runs 150-170 range. Maybe plug a handheld tuner in and I think it will show your trans temp with a digital number.

·
The Asshole from Mass
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SO..

Did some data logging this morning with Live Link and at first the temps were good.

In park at idle it was staying around 175, very slowly increasing.

Then i started driving around, few red lights but no crazy traffic, about 85 degrees out. It ended up reaching 215 so i headed home.

Sat in the driveway in park idling for a few minutes afterwards and it was slowly going back down, ended up at 210 and then i shut it off.

My glowshift guage is actually accurate while cruising but if i sit for a few minutes it starts reading way higher than actual temps. It said 260 while being at 215.

Looks like its time for a SD cooler!! And an Aeroforce guage.. $$$$

·
Registered
733 Posts
if the tranny lines are still going through the radiator then I'd say your temps aren't that abnormal...blowerslut spec'd built trans here, w/ Pi 2600, rad lines bypassed as well as trans bypass deleted, super duty like cooler and temps don't go above 165f after flogging the sh*t out of it in 90f weather..(built/Whipple) average 140-150f during normal driving

and heat shields are for the scrap bin lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts