Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
The last 2 times I have gone to the track, they told me that they saw my transmission leaking. I looked underneath and didn't see any leak at all. My truck is sluggish through the shifts too.
When I drove to work yesterday in 90 degree temps my tranny temp got to 200 degrees. I am currently pushing 540 rwhp and 535 torque. I know that I should get a valve body replacement which would help with the sluggishnesh between shifts, but should I go the extra mile and have the transmission completely rebuilt?
Really my main question is, is 200 degrees too high for my tranny?

·
11 second street truck
10,019 Posts
200 degrees is to high if your just cruising.

Based on slipping shifts, those temps and your power levels, I'd say it's to late for a valve body. It's time for a rebuild.

·
worlds fastest MP lightning
1,412 Posts
200 degrees is too high especially if your cruising* I would definitely go for a High-performance built transmission 🏁 and when you do change the transmission fluid often* and you won’t ever have a problem and only use ** Mercon Dexron lll* the brand doesn’t matter* I happen to use (PROLINE)

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
9,500 Posts
How is 200 too hot? Since the transmission fluid passes through passages in the radiator, and it's around 180 or so because of the thermostat, wouldn't that transfer the same amount of heat to the transmission fluid? Seems to me it would. And when it's 90 outside, pretty mush assured the fluid in the radiator is hotter than 180. I know the temp. gauge on my dash cnahnges positions depending on outside temps. It runs almost halfway on a 90 degree day, yet only about one third on colder days. And that's with a 170 stat installed.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
200 is high for my liking. Thats why I bypassed the radiator. The super duty cooler is awesome. I finally installed mine after having it stored for over 10 years.

Attachments

·
9,500 Posts
One of my motorcycles, the M109R, the oil is cooled like the transmission fluid is on most vehicles. It has a 195 thermostat and I put an oil temperature gauge on it years ago. Want to guess where the oil temperature is, more often than not? Wait for it. 195 +. Depends on ambient temperature. Colder days, it remains below 200. Warm days, upper 80's on, it's over 200 all the time. Doesn't scare me for oil temperature though. As my handle says, I've owned several Honda CBXs in the past. Inline six cylinder, air cooled, DOHC 24 valve. Factory installed five row cooler. Yeah, right. Five row. One day, heading to Carson City from Palmdale CA, 500 mile trip, got stuck in traffic in Baker CA in 100+ weather. Oil temperature was north of 350 degrees. Fortunately I had some good quality Motul synthetic 20W-50 oil in it. Bike didn't like it. Pulled over and parked it in shade, ate lunch at Taco Bell. Continued on my merry way an hour later. When I returned from that trip, I removed the five row cooler and installed an Earl's 13 row cooler and larger lines. Had to drill and tap the block for the larger lines. Never saw 300 degrees again after that. Mostly ran in the low 200s with an occasional bump to 250 here-and-there. Far cry from 350 for sure.

·
11 second street truck
10,019 Posts
How is 200 too hot? Since the transmission fluid passes through passages in the radiator, and it's around 180 or so because of the thermostat, wouldn't that transfer the same amount of heat to the transmission fluid? Seems to me it would. And when it's 90 outside, pretty mush assured the fluid in the radiator is hotter than 180. I know the temp. gauge on my dash cnahnges positions depending on outside temps. It runs almost halfway on a 90 degree day, yet only about one third on colder days. And that's with a 170 stat installed.

1) the fluid in the radiator is not the same temp as the fluid in your engine that's being measured by the temp gauge.

2) I have a 195 tstat and never see higher than 185 unless I am beating on the truck.
Staging lanes at the drag strip in 98* weather I saw 196.

3) normal atf temps are 150-180. 200 is a sign the trans is building heat. The only way this happens is slippage or towing. If a trans is always 200+, it's dying.

4) the 4r100 will typically run 60-100* above ambient. So, if it's 100+ you might see 200, but not often and not constantly.

·
Head of R&D at A1 Transmission
5,612 Posts
Unless you run Amsoil full synthetic or the like which is $250 for our trans, anything 200 or above is going to start breaking down the fluid and eventually cause things to go south. Sluggishness would suggest slipping as would the elevated temps. Talk to blower stut (Chris Garrett) at A1 Transmission of GA and get it fixed right.

·
9,500 Posts
Well, I running what the bottle says is full synthetic Ford fluid. Will also run the same when I finally get that Mag-Hytec pan on. Got 16 quarts of it in the garage along with a 4 X 4 filter. I also have a link to buy one of the Super Duty coolers, along with all the required hardware, all in one kit. So that'll be coming soon. Not sure if I'll bypass the radiator though, it's meant as a way to get the trans up to operating temperature in cold climates. It gets bleedin cold in Oklahoma. Occasionally even below zero. Although to be truthful, I don't drive mine when it's like that. That's the reason I have an old Ranger. to be driven when Mother Nature is acting the fool. I don't want two nice vehicles. One is enough. The other is to be driven hard and put away wet. LMAO!

And Dusten, now that my workbench is empty of parts and tools due to the snoout being back on, tomorrow I'm going to put t hat M-H tranny pan on said workbench and fill it with water from a three gallon (12 quart) container. Will have another gallon in a bottle sittin by the side, in case needed. Want to know how much it holds before I put it on. Should be soon now that the snout repair seems to have done the trick.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not only the temps but the slugginish of the shifts. They stretch out way to long and just doesn't feel right compared to my Camaro which has a built tranny with a valve body.

·
9,500 Posts
Well, mine isn't sluggish. The original owner did a lot of mods and gave me a book full of receipts. I've never really gone through them all, all they are is basically part numbers with no description on some of them. I'm thinking he may have done a vb. But can't say for certain. I bought the truck from a local Ford dealer and the notebook was on the passenger side floor when I drove it away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts