Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm in the process of getting my built motor rebuilt(long story), but I have a stock transmission with a stall and a valve body. . .

My question is, should I buy like, the lightning force upgrade kit for the 4r100, around 700 bucks, and have a local transmission shop install it? Or, should I look for a BTS(?) transmission? Or even look for someone with a built 4r100 to save a little money.

I have a feeling once I get this motor done and the 3.4 whipple on, even on pump gas its going to be too much for it. Someone said my first WOT shift may kill it. . . ugh

Just wanted some thoughts, I haven't had this lightning long and its my first, so I don't know all the options for transmission building. I don't even know what the differences between a BTS and a 4r100 is.

Thanks in advance,

Mike:bigtu

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
talk to the punisher as well
That's right I forgot Paul builds transmissions as well as his VB's

Yikes

why so high? is there something wrong with buying the upgrade kit and having a transmission shop install the parts? That seems to be about 1/4th of the price of a BTS. . .
Don't know, but I have never seen a complaint about there 4r100's

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I have a bts trans and pushing a whipple 3.4 with over 700 hp. No problems here.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,611 Posts
Not everyone needs or can afford a BTS trans, A good trans person with the right parts can do the same as BTS.
When was the last time you heard of a built 4r100 trans going bad...no matter who built it?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Not everyone needs or can afford a BTS trans, A good trans person with the right parts can do the same as BTS.
When was the last time you heard of a built 4r100 trans going bad...no matter who built it?
It matters. BTS does of work for diesels. They are torque monsters. He has parts you can't get your hands on that he installs. If I was to buy just a valve body I would buy one from him.

·
Frauderator
5,862 Posts
i bought a transmission from a pos vender from nloc. it was supposed to be a bad azz ultra billet super duper best transmission in the world:smt101

turned out to be a worn out old pos. ironicly so is the vender:smt042

i built my current transmisson, i bought the circle D kit. i aint gonna lie,,,,,its tough to do one. it took me two days. id get a reputable local trans shop to do it next time.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I was planning on the LFP kit myself.

Anyone have a link to JLP? Might be another option I need to look into.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
BTS is $4500+shipping+$1000 core. They'll remove and install for that price as well if you're within driving distance. Mine broke metal when it went, not just slipping clutches. Circle D is supposed to be very similar to BTS with all the machined billet parts & whatnot, they are similarly priced. You need to visit hotrod diesel forums to hear about 4r100s (rebuilt and stock) being destroyed. I've also read that our higher RPM (compared to a diesel) usage adds to the problems.
Paul (Punisher) is supposedly not rebuilding trannys at this time.
If someone needs a core to rebuild shoot me a PM, I should have a transmission for my truck around the beginning of September and my old, non-functional one will be available.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.