Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been seeing my trans temp slowly creep up to 206+ when in drive and holding the the brake. I replaced the trans cooler with the f250 one from bg racing. Took it to the shop who rebuilt my transmission and he said I shouldn’t be worried.

What do you guys think ?

·
Registered
941 Posts
If im not mistaken the transmission normal temp is around 175-180. Mine runs about 150-160 with that same cooler in the middle of summer. 200+ is not good as the trans fluid starts to break down after it reaches that temp and gets worse from there. May need to check over everything and make sure it has the proper fluid and enough.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,786 Posts
Next time you drive it, watch the tach in both third gear and OD. The problem could be the torque converter clutch isn't locking up, which will cause the fluid to run hotter since the clutch converter isn't locked up over 40 mph. By chance, is the OD OFF light blinking? If so, that's not a good thing.

P0741 OBD-II Trouble Code: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

If your truck has a tach, you can see if it's locking up or not. Over 40 mph, the tach needle should be very inactive in OD. If you lightly put your foot on the gas and the needle moves, it isn't locked. Same for backing off the gas, it should not move. Should stay pointing at a speed and barely move when you move your foot. Overactive tach in OD over 40 mph, the clutch isn't locking. It doesn't really cause any problems, but will make the trans run hotter than normal.

Reactions: SVTOMXR

·
Member Senior
191 Posts
Should I be sitting at a steady temp ? Mine seems to just keep climbing
Temperature will flucuate with load and speed. When you sit still the temperature climbs because there's not as much airflow over the cooler as when you are moving. As long as the temperature is coming down when the truck is moving you are fine.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,976 Posts
My trans has always been in the 200 to 210 range in the summer and was always told not to worry

Reactions: SVTOMXR

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's steady when cruising. Stopped or slow it climbs. Also if you have a performance converter it will run hotter

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,786 Posts
Since out trucks have the trans fluid going through the radiator, as well as a cooler up front, I would've thought the transmission temperature would stay somewhat consistent with the radiator temperature. One of my motorcycles, the engine oil is cooled via the radiator, just like out trans is. It does get hot when sitting still, but will not exceed the temperature of the thermostat. I've rarely seen the oil temp go above 195 degrees on that bike, same as the thermostat. However, once moving, the engine oil actually drops to around 180, consistently. I have a oil dipstick with a temperature gauge on top of it. And yes, when the end is put in boiling water, it reads 212 degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts