Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used OEM trans to replace my trucks failing one.... that was about two years ago... and it's been in my Dad's garage under a tarp this whole time.....

My trans is slipping bad enough that I've decided to go ahead and swap them.... I pulled the tarp back.... to find that the left front (when looking at the bellhousing side) lobe is broken off.... I guess this will limit me to three bolts to secure it? Not sure as I haven't really gotten further than noticing the broken tab..

How much of a problem will this cause?

If I bolt it in and go... will the missing tab cause the any problems? Can a new tab be welded in place? It's aluminum correct?

·
Retired Odderator
3,308 Posts
Can you swap that section from the old trans over to the new "used" one?

welding cast aluminum, even with a TIG is difficult at best.

·
dont be scared
346 Posts
I bought a used OEM trans to replace my trucks failing one.... that was about two years ago... and it's been in my Dad's garage under a tarp this whole time.....

My trans is slipping bad enough that I've decided to go ahead and swap them.... I pulled the tarp back.... to find that the left front (when looking at the bellhousing side) lobe is broken off.... I guess this will limit me to three bolts to secure it? Not sure as I haven't really gotten further than noticing the broken tab..

How much of a problem will this cause?

If I bolt it in and go... will the missing tab cause the any problems? Can a new tab be welded in place? It's aluminum correct?
Last i recall
there are 2 bolts across the top, 3 down the driver side of the trans and 2 on the pass side. I guees by this description the ear is broken off over the starter and its the ear that would also have the block dowel on it as well if im correct.

Can you swap that section from the old trans over to the new "used" one?

welding cast aluminum, even with a TIG is difficult at best.
cant swap bellhousing is made as part of trans,

Good call welding cast aluminum is like welding with sand being injected into your welds. Even the best welders have trouble with it but it can be done.

Look up my broken flex plate thread. It was caused by other means, but goes to show what an improper transmission install can do. Fix it right, however you choose.
Also a good reccomendation, however if it stays on both dowels and cant move it will be fine,

WHat i would ask is why its broken, Most likely someone pulled up the tranny in a bind and could have also damaged the front pump as well

Post up some pictures of the part and we can tell you better.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay... Here's the pics...

After your comment about the dowels... I don't think I'm as nervous about it anymore...

I think with the two dowels and the 5 bolts around the perimeter intact I shouldn't have a problem... Right?

Auto part

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.