Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm towing all of my stuff across the country 1700miles. Does anyone live near the route I'm taking? In the event I break down or something would anyone be willing to lend a hand or toss me a few parts?

I've gone through my truck pretty well and she's road worthy. But it also runs a 6# lower on a stock motor with 175,000 miles, so you just never know. Odds are i'll make it tho :)

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
i live in Saint louis county, Mo. Hopefully you have no issues though.:bigtu

·
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would drop boost down if pulling any weight that distance.
I'm afraid i won't have much a choice. I'm tuned for my current Pulley and i don't have the correct belt or smaller diameter lower. I've driven it up the Rockies multiple times without incident, so hopefully pulling stuff at a steady 65 will be no sweat. I'll definitely be easy on the skinny pedal and keep rpms down. I would think that'd be enough to keep it safe.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Yep I'm moving to nc. Just bought a house out there. Tired of this over crowded city traffic and ridiculous cost of living.

Dammmn!! Well good luck bro. Stay in touch.

Oh I hear ya. This place is getting ridiculous.

·
Administrator
18,571 Posts
I'm afraid i won't have much a choice. I'm tuned for my current Pulley and i don't have the correct belt or smaller diameter lower. I've driven it up the Rockies multiple times without incident, so hopefully pulling stuff at a steady 65 will be no sweat. I'll definitely be easy on the skinny pedal and keep rpms down. I would think that'd be enough to keep it safe.
If you need to change tunes for varying boost I suggest you look for a new tuner. If it is tuned correctly it compensates automatically. That is the attraction of a Maf system. Although I see you are not a Lightning. Not sure what tuning "tricks" were required in your case.

I would try to borrow a stock ring/belt if it were me. If not, I wish you success staying out of boost.

·
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you need to change tunes for varying boost I suggest you look for a new tuner. If it is tuned correctly it compensates automatically. That is the attraction of a Maf system. Although I see you are not a Lightning. Not sure what tuning "tricks" were required in your case.

I would try to borrow a stock ring/belt if it were me. If not, I wish you success staying out of boost.
It starts and runs fine even when above the treeline around 10,000ft elv where the air density is like nothing . So the maf curve is tuned correctly as far as i can tell. I haven't had many tune issues. To my knowledge the stock na engine is not compatible with the stock caged Pulley. I guess ill have to just be carefull. i leave in 2-3 days. I'll send an update once i makeit. Hopefully in one piece :)

·
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i made it to nc running the 6# lower. Truck drove great. It felt awesome pulling up the hills and passing newer trucks and diesels uphill and in o/d. The only mishap was that all 4 brakes were literally bellowing smoke for 5 minutes after a steep decent in the Appalachians. That was definitely sketch. My idle seems to get stuck at higher rpms now too. I'll have to see if that's tune related or just a binded throttle cable or something.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,657 Posts
i have a house, with garage and tools along that route

·
USMC
578 Posts
I drove mine from charlotte, NC to Twentynine Palms, Ca. I pulled about 2000 pounds worth of junk and my bike. The one thing that i did not like was the 4.10 gears. But other than that was smooth all the way excpt all the gas stops.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Safe travels! Where in NC? I used to live 7 miles from the NC border and the OBX was only about 3 hours. Lots of people lived in NC and worked in VA around me, cost of living is much better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts