Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is prolly a stupid question but I’m trying to learn so maybe someone can give me some schooling on tires. Ok so I have 18” rims and my tires are roughly 29”, so why would going to a 15-16” rim but still staying with a 29” tire help with traction? I know softer compound tires are going to hook better and I assume it has something to do with more soft wall, but I know where assuming has gotten me in the past. Haha

·
Registered
789 Posts
For street or track?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either or, just see most big power guys running 15-16” rims with 28-30” tires

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
So for handling you’ll want a very short sidewall tire so it doesn’t flex.

For traction you would want the biggest contact patch (widest & tallest) but you also want as much sidewall as possible to absorb the shock when launching. Tires with no sidewall give either hook or spin.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So a taller tire is gonna make more contact with the pavement long ways? Then when I’m watching drag racing and you see the slicks wrinkle, that is absorbing some of the torque so it isn’t automatically breaking the tires loose?

·
Registered
789 Posts
You want as little tire wrinkle as possible to go fast. That's why a radial is faster than a slick. Just harder to make it work properly. Taller sidewall helps bandaid the traction issue if you have problems. And a slick you don't want to dead hook or it will shake the mess out of it. Actually need to hit it hard enough to do a controlled spin to get on top of it. A radial you want to dead hook and go.

·
Registered
789 Posts
All street tires are radial construction. You have street oriented drag radials and track oriented drag radials. Slicks are track only and are generally bias ply construction... Not radial construction.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So with that being said the MT ET S would be more of a street drag radial and the MT ET R would be more of a track?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know the shorter tire is gonna gain me more wheel speed, but if I’m already having traction issues would it be better to have a little bit wider or a little bit taller or are they about the same?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Taller tire will give you less mechanical advantage so it will help with tire spin. Also it has more sidewall which "should" help traction as well. However the compound on the street is probably more important.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m leaning toward the Nitto Nt05r in 305/45r18, anybody have any experience with them? I like the Toyos but I can only find them in 305/35 which is way shorter than I’m wanting, and I looked at the MT SS but my local tire shop doesn’t carry MT so I was gonna stick with the Nitto or Toyo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts