Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run NT05r 305/45-18 om the rear. As everyone is aware, these are on backorder. Mine were ordered in May, and the ship date keeps getting pushed back. I did receive the G2's for the front finally. Thinking about running a different size wheel. Probably Racestars. Question is, what size tire are typically ran with Racestars? Looking to wind up with the same diameter and height as my Nittos. Also, looks like I can get NT555r's right now. Will those be OK on the rear, traction wise? My mods should be in my signature. Thank you.

eddie-

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,567 Posts
Race Stars aren't a big help on the back order issue. I have a set of Race Stars holding down my garage floor as we type. Typically Race Stars are 17 inch rims, 11 inch rear, 4.5 front. On the rear it's common to run M & H 390/40-17. Back ordered until sometime in February 2023. They keep getting pushed further forward. Front is typically Mickey Thompson 28 x 6 x 17. Back ordered so far, until sometime later this month. So, get the fronts later his month, but keep waiting for the rears until hell freezes over.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah this blows. I can't drive it until I get some new rears. My only option at this point I guess is to use the 295/45-18 555G2's on the rear and my local tire shop can get stock size Hankooks for the front. It's not what I want but it will get me back on the road. How will the G2's hold up on the rear? I'm not making a ton of power obviously but I'm making enough to break NT05's loose.

·
10 second street truck
12,840 Posts
Honestly you're over thinking this. A bolt on lightning is just fine on street tires.

Run a full set of g2's and be fine.

Run some 555r2's and be fine

I won't ever touch the 05r's again. The traction they add over the 555r2 isn't worth the lack of miles.

You want traction. Get Mickey's.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You’re right. I’m definitely overthinking it. I tend to do that. I just canceled the nt05 order, which btw are discontinued per Nitto. And the mickeys are not available either. I just ordered another pair of g2’s. Back on the road in a week.

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
12,025 Posts
Once my truck is on the road, im going to run 4 regular street tires on stocks. I already have two new 555 g2's up front. If i cant find a set for the back, so be it. Ill put whatever someone has in stock in the OEM size. I want dont want drag radials and have to worry about being caught in the rain.

I do have dark stars (15" rear/17" front) for when I want to hook. However, I would recommend some 16" baja's and a good 28" tall tire if you wanna play around in dry conditions. They work fine and no caliper grinding.
It's good they cancelled it. It wore like a Mickey with half the traction. It just wasn't a good tire.
After having them both, I agree with this.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once my truck is on the road, im going to run 4 regular street tires on stocks. I already have two new 555 g2's up front. If i cant find a set for the back, so be it. Ill put whatever someone has in stock in the OEM size. I want dont want drag radials and have to worry about being caught in the rain.

I do have dark stars (15" rear/17" front) for when I want to hook. However, I would recommend some 16" baja's and a good 28" tall tire if you wanna play around in dry conditions. They work fine and no caliper grinding.

After having them both, I agree with this.

Call summit racing. As of yesterday, they had access to a dozen or so. Call though because their website says differently.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the G2's finally came in. Got them all mounted up. What pressure should I be running for normal street driving? I have them set at 35 right now. Also, I have an extra pair. Is there a preferred way to store them (in my garage) so they don't harden up? I probably wont need them for a while. Thank!

Eddie-

·
10 second street truck
12,840 Posts
So the G2's finally came in. Got them all mounted up. What pressure should I be running for normal street driving? I have them set at 35 right now. Also, I have an extra pair. Is there a preferred way to store them (in my garage) so they don't harden up? I probably wont need them for a while. Thank!

Eddie-
In bags.

Run the highest pressure you can that nets traction. 30-32 on the rears is probably fine. You could take them down to 20 if you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts