Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The price for the stock 295/45/18 size tires have gone sky high. What other size tires come close to the stock tire. Price and dealer info would be helpful, too.\

Thanks,

Jim

· Registered
1,326 Posts
I run the G2s on one of my cars and they are a good upgrade (but most tires are) from the stock Goodyears.
Anything that uses petroleum is high priced these days.

· Registered
9 Posts
The price for the stock 295/45/18 size tires have gone sky high. What other size tires come close to the stock tire. Price and dealer info would be helpful, too.\

Thanks,

Jim
The cheapest tire that you are probably going to find that fits our 18" wheels and is close to stock would probably have to be a 275/55R18. It's just slightly taller (1.44") and so your speedometer will read about 3.3mph slower (confirmed on calculator). I know these tires fit because my L has Michelins in this size (previous owner installed them). Personally, I don't like these narrow tires and the traction in the rear sucks, but it is considerably cheaper when I looked them up. As soon as the tread is low enough, I'm upgrading the rear to 305/45R18 and the front will be returned to stock size.

· 10 second street truck
13,158 Posts
The cheapest tire that you are probably going to find that fits our 18" wheels and is close to stock would probably have to be a 275/55R18. It's just slightly taller (1.44") and so your speedometer will read about 3.3mph slower (confirmed on calculator). I know these tires fit because my L has Michelins in this size (previous owner installed them). Personally, I don't like these narrow tires and the traction in the rear sucks, but it is considerably cheaper when I looked them up. As soon as the tread is low enough, I'm upgrading the rear to 305/45R18 and the front will be returned to stock size.

1.5" is a lot taller. That's a 30" tire
And 3.3 mph is only at 1 speed. The tire is a percentage larger and the speedo will always be a percentage off.

Also a 55 series is a lot of fucking sidewall. That's going to have a serious negative effect on handling.

So it's 4.9% taller. This means a 4.9% speedo error. So at 30 it's 1.5 mph, 60 is 3 and 75 3.8.
It's not much.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

· Registered
9 Posts
1.5" is a lot taller. That's a 30" tire
And 3.3 mph is only at 1 speed. The tire is a percentage larger and the speedo will always be a percentage off.

Also a 55 series is a lot of fucking sidewall. That's going to have a serious negative effect on handling.

So it's 4.9% taller. This means a 4.9% speedo error. So at 30 it's 1.5 mph, 60 is 3 and 75 3.8.
It's not much.

View attachment 549636
Yeah I mean everyone knows these tires are not ideal. However, OP was specifically asking for a cheaper tire and so these 275's will work if trying to save money. They've been on my L for the entirety of the 4.5 years that I've owned it just because they had a bunch of tread left. I don't recommend them, but they do work and I've even towed a 95 Camaro on a uhaul trailer from Florida to Nevada without issues. I'm pretty sure the previous owner put them on as they were also trying to save money. As I said, whenever I replace these tires 305's are going in the rear and 295's in the front!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts