Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out here? I bought my truck already lowered and it is eating the inside of my tires. I am replacing the front two every 5000 miles. Brand new tires with the wires showing through. AARGH!! I love the way it looks but I cannot afford the tires anymore. What do you all suggest?:smt100

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
alignment...gotta get that camber fixed

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been told by EVERY alignment shop I go to that it is too low to get the camber right. I see trucks all day long sitting so much lower than my truck. There has to be a better answer than to raise the truck back up.

·
Registered
786 Posts
What specs are they setting the alignment to? I had this problem with mine and wasn't lowered. Was told by one of the guys here to have it set to Liightning specs not f150 specs. Had it done and no more issues. Had mine done at a Goodyear. Its good for 6 months so I had mine checked again like 5 months later and it was still good. GL...

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
1 of 2 things is happening, possibly both

#1 the shop is stupid, no ifs and or buts, they are downright stupid
#2 you don't have the cam bolts installed, 1 set per side. (2 sets total).

Based on what you said in your first post, we know that #1 is true. You can go with roughly 3" (or more) of drop from a coil spring and still get the camber and toe aligned with the cam bolts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Sweet- The first was Lone Star Ford here in Houston. Then I took it to NTB and they told me the same thing. Tell me what you're thinking.

@Shopkins- I am confused why if there was no suspension mods why they had to change specs? Did you put wider tires?

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
I am pretty sure the Harleys had the same ride height as the lightnings from the factory. Or am I wrong about this?
this is right.

Lightnings (and HDs) have a specific alignment spec. You should be able to go an additional 2" lower, maybe more, via coil spring and still get it within spec. using control arms or spindles can get you more than 2" lower and still in spec.

My point is unless you have a 3" drop spring with even more cut out of it, you should be able to get it in spec.

·
Static...Switches r 4 Bitches
524 Posts
I'm going to a shop down here in florida tomorrow. I just Slammed my truck, and the alignment is ****ed!

I'll let you know what they say and how it sits after. I'm about 5" in the front and 6" in the back

·
Registered
786 Posts
Didn't do any suspicion mods on my truck. Just kept eating inside of my front tires. So, I posted up on here and BgStew told me about having the specs set to a Lighting and not a super crew (which most shops do). Ever since I took his advice my tires are fine. All I know is with it set to super crew specs I need tires every 5000-6000 miles.

·
Building a fast catfish!!!
15,687 Posts
Could be a toe out issue...

Sent via my damn droid.

·
Formerly OGmackPLRcool
1,075 Posts
90% of tire wear is caused by toe. You have to make sure your toe is perfect not just "within spec." I have 1.5* of camber right and left and have very little abnormal tire wear. I have put about 5k miles on it since I lowered it, and the front tires had 25k miles on them before that. I think I will be able to get another 5k miles out of them. My guess it I will get around 20-25k miles on a new set of front tires.

When I used to do alignments I would put the weight of the driver in the front seat and get the alignment EXACTLY to spec. Although we dont have an alignment machine (yet!), the shop I take it to does their alignment the exact same way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts