Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some of you guys might now, I had my recent build buttoned up at the end of August. Truck made good power (808HP/880TQ) on E85 @ 24PSI.

Truck has under 3k on new build. Both banks where spot on with each other until one day cruising the truck started acting up to the point that it could barely idle. I thought it was bad tank of gas as I had just filled up on E85. That wasn't the case.

Checked plugs and they where good. Did compression test and bank 2 all cylinders 150. Bank 1 all cylinders 90. I did bore scope on them and it looks like in 2 or 3 cylinders the valves kissed the top of piston.

I believe I did everything right from parts to the builder. But what I have been talking with a couple guys about they mentioned that maybe the 2 piece crank gears I used from TFS to time the truck must of failed.

Any other ideas why this could have happened? I ordered a MMR billet crank gear and also they just released there own set of adjustable cam gears as it seems comp cams is no longer making them or having issues with production due to covid.

Need to pull front cover off. All this happened right after I installed a brand new stage 2 4r100 built by A1 Chris Garrett which is awesome.
20200827_083658.jpg

IMG_20200822_113450.jpg
20200926_181303.jpg
Screenshot_20201015-083844_Chrome.jpg

·
11 second street truck
10,779 Posts
Odd you say that about comp. I just installed a set of comp gears that I purchased from summit. They were in stock. But now they're showing out of stock. I guess I lucked out.

As for your issues, it sounds like something caused the cams to jump timing. Other than the 2 piece tfs gear, what timing components were you running?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I assume you have checked but the comp gears show shipping on 10/26 so not much of a backorder if it is accurate. The MMR gears look promising though. The actual parts they make tend to be of good quality so would think you would be good with those but also a new product that have not been verified by others so that is a concern. I would try to find the comp gears in stock or see if the backorder is not bad.

Hate that happened but I am sure you will get it back up and running again soon.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Odd you say that about comp. I just installed a set of comp gears that I purchased from summit. They were in stock. But now they're showing out of stock. I guess I lucked out.

As for your issues, it sounds like something caused the cams to jump timing. Other than the 2 piece tfs gear, what timing components were you running?
I've been calling and looking at online stock updates for awhile. Even called Comp direct and they don't even have an ETA for them! Called MMR and they even told me they where tired of waiting that's why they made there own which they just had them done. You got lucky for sure.

As for the rest of my timing components, I installed all new Ford timing chains, MMR billet guides and MMR tensioners, and factory cam gears.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hope you get it figured out brotha

·
11 second street truck
10,779 Posts
I've been calling and looking at online stock updates for awhile. Even called Comp direct and they don't even have an ETA for them! Called MMR and they even told me they where tired of waiting that's why they made there own which they just had them done. You got lucky for sure.

As for the rest of my timing components, I installed all new Ford timing chains, MMR billet guides and MMR tensioners, and factory cam gears.
did you grind the gears and time the cams or just install them straight up?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume you have checked but the comp gears show shipping on 10/26 so not much of a backorder if it is accurate. The MMR gears look promising though. The actual parts they make tend to be of good quality so would think you would be good with those but also a new product that have not been verified by others so that is a concern. I would try to find the comp gears in stock or see if the backorder is not bad.

Hate that happened but I am sure you will get it back up and running again soon.
That shipping ETA always jumped bro lol I kept checking for a long time. And like I said I even called Comp direct and they didn't even have a ETA.

As for the MMR gears I'll be the guinea pig!

I'm hoping to get the truck opened up next week as ill have more free time. Been crazy busy with work.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you grind the gears and time the cams or just install them straight up?
Grind the factory cam gears? Did not do that. Was that supposed to be done?

·
11 second street truck
10,779 Posts
Grind the factory cam gears? Did not do that. Was that supposed to be done?
yes and no. You installed the cams without any adjustment. Your fuel trims were fine, so no issues. I did the same and my fuel trims were almost 15% off. So I had to install adjustable gears to correctly time the cams.

you can use stock gears and do this with some work. I wasn't sure how you had installed them.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes and no. You installed the cams without any adjustment. Your fuel trims were fine, so no issues. I did the same and my fuel trims were almost 15% off. So I had to install adjustable gears to correctly time the cams.

you can use stock gears and do this with some work. I wasn't sure how you had installed them.
Now I see what you mean. The machine shop had to degree the cams. They had to advance bank 1 3 degrees but the TFS crank gear only has adjustments by 2 so they advanced that side by 4 and the bank 2 didn't need any adjustments and was left at 0.

I'm wondering if that might have caused an issue as well by advancing an extra 1 degree on bank 1.

Bank 1 is the problem where all 4 cylinders are 90 on the compression test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts