Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much timing are you guys running on the race tune (100 octane) with about 20 psi of boost? I've heard of guys running 20-25 degrees with that much boost and race gas, but I get slight detonation going into high gear with only 15-16 degrees. Goes away with the alcohol injection on, but I'm tuning initially without it. Then again I'm running the Torco Unleaded Accelerator Concentrate in a mix that should have me at 100-102 octane.

I'm asking because I'm starting to think that this stuff may not be as good as they say. It allowed 20 degrees of timing with 16 psi of boost so it must do something.

Jody

·
Registered
367 Posts
The alcy injestion actually allows you to run more timing because it increases the octane of the A/F mixture. I have seen a couple of people run 20 degrees of timing at 23 and 25 lbs of boost so I would say the 20 degrees is plenty. I run 18 degrees on a street tune 93 octane with 15 lbs of boost.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Avalanche said:
The alcy injestion actually allows you to run more timing because it increases the octane of the A/F mixture. I have seen a couple of people run 20 degrees of timing at 23 and 25 lbs of boost so I would say the 20 degrees is plenty. I run 18 degrees on a street tune 93 octane with 15 lbs of boost.

Thanks. I'm trying to see why I can't run more timing on the 100 octane gas without the alky.... it seems like I should be able to run more than 14 degrees when I have 100 octane.

Jody

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am not a big fan of the Torco Unleaded Accelerator Concentrate. I almost lost a motor to the crap about a year ago. Now if I want to run 100+ octane I run 108 it cost a little more but at least I know it is safe.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Avalanche said:
I am not a big fan of the Torco Unleaded Accelerator Concentrate. I almost lost a motor to the crap about a year ago. Now if I want to run 100+ octane I run 108 it cost a little more but at least I know it is safe.
I'm starting to think it doesn't work as advertised. It helps no doubt, but I put two cans in 20 gallons which should have me at 102 octane according to them. I'm guessing it's closer to 94-95 in reality. Xylene has worked well in the past for me, but it's a lot more money per tank than the Torco. I guess I'll just use the alky and pump gas and adjust the timing accordingly.

My guess is that the 14 degrees with 20 psi is doable with NO Torco as long as my alky is on. So in other words, the Torco is a complete waste of money for me as even 15 degrees pings slightly going into high gear (with no alky). Does NOT ping with the alky on.

Thanks for the info!

Jody

·
Registered
367 Posts
The one thing I will tell you is make sure that your alcy injection has a back up because if you are depending on it to save your motor and it fails then you will be looking for another block. If you do not believe me I can let you talk to a buddy of mine that had that very thing happen to him and he ventilated his block. You can watch his video in the video section, it shows him blowing up his motor and he still ran like a 12.7 and he blew around half track.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Avalanche said:
The one thing I will tell you is make sure that your alcy injection has a back up because if you are depending on it to save your motor and it fails then you will be looking for another block. If you do not believe me I can let you talk to a buddy of mine that had that very thing happen to him and he ventilated his block. You can watch his video in the video section, it shows him blowing up his motor and he still ran like a 12.7 and he blew around half track.
I agree, that's why I am tuning without the alky on. Plus the alky richens the A/F so the only way to know exactly where you're at is to turn it off to tune. That's why I was trying to run 100 octane also as a safety factor. I was surprised at the lack of timing their (concentrate) would allow me to run.

Jody

·
Registered
270 Posts
the hd edition at my friendsw shop runs 20 degrees with alky.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Hey Boostin, your avatar puts a whole new meaning to "Flying Schitt"
Thats the best flying Schitt I've ever seen :LOL

I'm grateful to have a 100 Octane station @ 10 minutes from me,
although I've never had an issue before running 93 Octane, even with timing as high as 19 on the street, I try and use 100 Octane "ever other fill up", and then re-fill with Ultra 93 inbetween while there's still plenty of the 100 still in there.

I think I use it more for the smell, than anything else, I LOVE THE SMELL I TELL YOU. :D
However I do expect things to change now with me running Mag + 6 lower + 2.7 Upper.
(I got to assume a 2.7 upper is AN EASY 3lb's, maybe more ?) (2.93=0), (2.8=2), (2.7=?).
I have faith that Sal will get me tuned for 93 since I'm only looking for 500 off spray for 24/7 street driving, but I have all intentions of running 100 Octane pretty much 24/7 for now on in

You guys are in a league of your own with those Beast and Power levels, good luck.
It's great to see peeps using the Alc Inj and Octane Uppers to be able to run higher timing, these trucks Love Timing. (Man I would love to run like 50 degrees) :smt026 hehehehe...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I knew that this topic with the word "timing" would get Rob's attention :LOL

I cant wait to get my SCT Pro Racer software and start tuning my own. I tune my Cobra right now with a TwEECer and have been successful so far. [smilie=fingersx.gif]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im running 22 degrees with V.P. race fuel 103 octane.Im seeing 21 lbs boost and no detonation here.I really believe its all in the fuel.On my street side with 93 octane pumpgas at 16 degrees and 21lbs boost i get detonation.If i was you i would dump the alky setup and run straight race fuel.Not worth the chance of failure on that alky pump.

·
Registered
270 Posts
chimshady1 said:
Im running 22 degrees with V.P. race fuel 103 octane.Im seeing 21 lbs boost and no detonation here.I really believe its all in the fuel.On my street side with 93 octane pumpgas at 16 degrees and 21lbs boost i get detonation.If i was you i would dump the alky setup and run straight race fuel.Not worth the chance of failure on that alky pump.
are you talking about the vp 103 motorsports fuel? i just tried some at the track the other night and it worked awesome. it is expensive as hell tho. how much did u pay per gallon?

·
Registered
44 Posts
BoostinSvt954 said:
chimshady1 said:
Im running 22 degrees with V.P. race fuel 103 octane.Im seeing 21 lbs boost and no detonation here.I really believe its all in the fuel.On my street side with 93 octane pumpgas at 16 degrees and 21lbs boost i get detonation.If i was you i would dump the alky setup  and run straight race fuel.Not worth the chance of failure on that alky pump.
are you talking about the vp 103 motorsports fuel? i just tried some at the track the other night and it worked awesome. it is expensive as hell tho. how much did u pay per gallon?
Not sure if its called motorsport but its V.P 103 .I got it from a speed shop by me called Action Performance.Goes for $40 for 5 gallon container.Yes it does work awsome.Its the highest unleaded octane fuel that V.P makes.If you go with a leaded fuel youll wind up burning your oxygen sensors out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts