Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 85K on my 02 and i am wanting to freshen up the drivtrain.I want to go with a setup that can handle 14-15 pounds form a KB or Whipple but dont want anyhting to excentric. I know my current motor wouldnt stand a chance if i bolted either blower uo to it due to the mileage. I am wanting to know what setup you guys have gone with and what it cost you when all said and done. My truck is a DD so i want something that makes a good amount of power but is very driveable and reliable.So lets hear what you guys have, also include some numbers.

Later Guys
Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
JoeGSVT said:
I have about 85K on my 02 and i am wanting to freshen up the drivtrain.I want to go with a setup that can handle 14-15 pounds form a KB or Whipple but dont want anyhting to excentric. I know my current motor wouldnt stand a chance if i bolted either blower uo to it due to the mileage. I am wanting to know what setup you guys have gone with and what it cost you when all said and done. My truck is a DD so i want something that  makes a good amount of power but is very driveable and reliable.So lets hear what you guys have, also include some numbers.

Later Guys
Joe
Hell.......I was running 19lbs of boost on my stock block with a ported Apten....the best time I got out of it was an 11.7x. I switched to a built lower end and Kenne bell right after that.

I surely am not recommending that kind of boost on a stock block....but just wanted to point out that with the right tune, 14-16lbs should not ever be a problem at the track. Do avoid high speed kick downs, such as running down the freeway at 90 and jumping in it with floor board peddle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Right now I am running a stock bock (New block is sitting the garage) I am running 15lbs of boost and it is my daily driver, 100 miles a day to and from work. I have around 76K on the OD right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you can run 14-15 psi on the stock block but i just want to be able to do it and it last, i have had 3 freinds in 3 months blow there stock blocks and they were running 15 psi each, i am gonna keep my l for a good while and i just want to have a good solid foundation for some good HP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
If your just looking for security of a stronger lower end to handle the extra boost, get with some of the big vendors in the Lightning community to see who will give the best deal. You can probably get one for about $3500. Bolt your stock heads on and the blower of your choice with a good dyno tune and you will be set. Have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
2000L said:
If your just looking for security of a stronger lower end to handle the extra boost, get with some of the big vendors in the Lightning community to see who will give the best deal. You can probably get one for about $3500. Bolt your stock heads on and the blower of your choice with a good dyno tune and you will be set. Have fun!
I don't know were you can get a built bottom end for 3500. I looked for a while and the cheapest I found was 5500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
im on 16-17 pounds and i have been fine [smilie=fingersx.gif] im making 425hp and 530 ft lbs but im gonna go built motor soon. i want a kenne bell.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,857 Posts
Although 5-12K is do-able, WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU DOING ?
you said "wanting to freshen up the drivtrain"
If your talking about doing everything, --> a Motor, Heads, Supercharger, beefing up the Trans, Exhaust, Fuel System, Maf, etc, (some pay as much as 20K, some spend more).

Although you can get a $3500.00 short black and put your heads on it, remember my heads were warped, and the valve guides shot at 12K, you'll want to have them milled, replace valve guides, check all valves and seats, have inserts installed, etc. You'll aslo want to choose wisely on the Motor, I would figure @ 7K for a nice built motor ready to drop back in, (fresh from head to toe)

PLAN IT WELL AND YOU CAN SAVE A TON ( I DID )
Read all about it in a few more days in our E-Zine
"Lighting Rodder Low Budget Beast"
AMOF I'm going to Sals (PSP) at lunch time today to take pic's. My motor is back and on the stand as we speak, WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO..................

If you already have the other stuff your lucky, I didn't, (I needed everything)
But you CAN save a ton if you plan it right.....  :smt023
Best of Luck!!
Ask away, "lots of great info to be had here", I saved a ton.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Avalanche said:
2000L said:
If your just looking for security of a stronger lower end to handle the extra boost, get with some of the big vendors in the Lightning community to see who will give the best deal. You can probably get one for about $3500. Bolt your stock heads on and the blower of your choice with a good dyno tune and you will be set. Have fun!
I don't know were you can get a built bottom end for 3500. I looked for a while and the cheapest I found was 5500.
Quite a few companys selling built 5.4 shortblocks for right at $3500, I got mine from VT Competition Engines
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
KB Zillia,

Let me know how your like VT's Block, I also looked at their stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
silverbolt01 said:
KB Zillia,

Let me know how your like VT's Block, I also looked at their stuff
I have almost 8,000 miles on it now....its been in the truck for over a year now with no problems.
I ordered it...swaped my heads and stuff over to it....and installed it myself....its been running great ever since :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
I think what is being not said here is the internals. You can get built shortblocks cheap. But they have cheaper parts in them. As previously stated 5,000-12,000, is a more practical approach at it. The more you spend the more hp/tq they can handle. Also, the aluminum block has entered into the picture. But that is not cheap either. But it all depends on your final goals. If you just want a cheap built block, VT or ModMax are probably two of you better choices for price. I could be wrong, but I think those two are the cheapest...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Smokeshow said:
I think what is being not said here is the internals.  You can get built shortblocks cheap.  But they have cheaper parts in them.  As previously stated 5,000-12,000, is a more practical approach at it.  The more you spend the more hp/tq they can handle.  Also, the aluminum block has entered into the picture.  But that is not cheap either.  But it all depends on your final goals.  If you just want a cheap built block, VT or ModMax are probably two of you better choices for price.  I could be wrong, but I think those two are the cheapest...
The price may be cheap...but the parts are NOT.

I have Manley rods, Diamond Pistons, all ARP hardware, fully balanced and blueprinted (I have pics somewhere of every detail in the motor - balance marks- brand of pistons - rods etc). Trust me, I have built quite a few engines in my 20 years at this hobby, and the VT Engines shortblock is a great engine.
Dont knock it till you have seen one first hand.  :D
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top