Lightning Rodder banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun! Finally started playing with mine again. Trying to get the smog shit worked out so I can drive it more often. California sucks! Can't wait to see what kinda numbers you make. I topped out at 417/487, then retuned since I was getting some detonation on the top end, still ended up with 394/486, CA smog legal, daily driver. Have a set of JLP "R" heads that could go on, but not without doing the bottom end. It'd be a waste. Keep at it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
J&S is awesome. I have one of the early ones on my L over 9 years. Still doing its job. I believe it has saved my motor more than once.:bigtu
Great to hear. I've read a ton on it and enough people have said it saved their engines once or twice. It's cheap insurance that I may not need but a new engine is not cheap.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Darkstars came in. As expected the boxes were beat up. I did order from LMR (located in Waco)and I'm in Austin. Would have picked them up myself but they didn't offer that option.

Had the UPS guy put down that they were damaged by the shipping company. I'm glad the face of the wheels are perfect but the two rears on the back side are scuffed.

Unsure If should make them pay for new rears. It's not that big of a deal for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Call the shipper, say they were damaged. Let them deal with it!
OMG. Hell yes. Get some new ones from them. Make them pay for that.
Look at the lip.
I wouldn't care if it was on the inner side of the barrel. But you can see the lip. It would bug me.
Steard at it for a while today. Decided I'll be calling LMR tomorrow and submitting a damage claim with UPS. :bigtu

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I might be fucked!

Excuse my language but I'm reading once you mount the tires the warranty is basically gone for race stars. Is this right?

So my issue one of my rear 17s the holes are too small for the lugs. They dont catch the threads. Reached out to LMR through email hope they can help. But, I may just sand down the holes myslef to avoid the hassle of having to dismount and re-mount my tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well truck is over with my tuner (Tbone). Had some valve train noise he wasn't liking and I decided to pull the motor and fix the issue. Valve train noise has been present since the motor was put together. I always thought it was an exhaust leak. This will be the 3rd time the motor is taken apart and put back together. A slight nightmare but I know it's in really good hands now. 3rd times the charm

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So fucking annoyed. Paid his buddy a month ago to remove the eninge and he still can't remove the damn engine. Might run down and just take my truck Gumby at TSP.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How much did the tank and HE lower your cruising IAT2?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Been a while since I’ve updated this thread. The build is finally at a stage where it’s moving forward instead of backwards.
Went ahead and disassembled the entire engine and almost started from scratch. The only things being reused are TF heads, iron tensioners, Manley Rods, and the Crank.
A lot of little parts going in that don’t matter much to list. Main big money parts are bigger custom ground cams, 4v oil pump with billet gears, and new pistons.
Here’s the engine back from the machine shop. It was previously bored .020 over, now moved up to a .030 over bore. New Manley pistons with upgraded wrist pins and SS rings. Went ahead and machined the crank to accept a bigger crank bolt and strengthen the snout.

Attachments

21 - 37 of 37 Posts