Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting this thread here, because I'm not sure if it should be someplace else. But I've seen other site supporters talking about their unique products in the Gen2 section, so here goes...

About a month ago, Rob announced that I had become a Site Supporter and would be offering custom designed fan shroud labels. I have one on my truck and as you may have read... Rob has his own personalized one on his truck. I got tired of looking at my cheesy, half-peeled off OEM labels and decided I had to do something... so I did. I designed my own!

These labels are one-piece and replace the two (2) shroud labels. To install my label, you need to remove the small vertical bead on the Passenger side of the label area. It can be done very easily with a ordinary razor-blade paint scraper or with a wood chisel. You just have to work at a steep angle so that you don't gouge the shroud. Once the bead is removed, I suggest you clean the surface with a scouring pad and then wipe it down with some PrepSol pre-paint cleaner.

Since I started this project we've found that the adhesive vinyl labels held up great color-wise, but are subject to scuffs and other mistakes that mess up the exposed graphic. My own label still looks great after 6 months, but I'm extremely careful with it. So I decided to switch to a heat-laminated label with clear plastic on both sides. The truck owner can apply the label easily with regular automotive two-sided trim tape, and the thinner the better. This should be a lot more durable, and the glossy surface actually looks better.

I've been working in-between the raindrops to create some base designs to show the membership what I can do, and tell you what I can't do. These labels are printed on vinyl in full process color which means I can include digital images in the design. The print quality is fairly good, not absolutely photographic... but quite good. The label finish is matte, and I cannot print metallics although I'm trying to figure out a way to somehow get close to replicating some basic metallic looks... its possibly off in the future.

I started this because I saw the two-piece replacement shroud labels on ebay and while they are nice, I wanted to do something a little different. I tried to be a little creative and think about what might appeal to a typical owner and how they might want to personalize the engine bay when you pop the hood. And we all know, whether it's at a show, at the track, or even a GTG... the hoods get popped and the first thing you see is a couple of wrinkly old battered shroud labels that do nothing for you or your truck. So here's a few ideas to get you thinking:

That's Rob's above... and of course he went all out with it.

I was thinking some guys would like Race Truck to scream at them when they opened the hood. This could be nice on any color truck, but maybe extra special on a white truck. The background could also be red, blue, black, or something else.

I call this one "Storm" and its pretty obvious why. Could be appealing to those guys in coastal states as well as other locations.

This one I'm calling "Tribal" and I tried to incorporate some tribal graphics in it without going too far. This particular one might look hot in a sonic blue truck, but I can adapt it to other color schemes as well.

For you hard-core types or someone with a sonic blue truck... this could be pretty nice on a black shroud.

In this red one, I incorporated the WMS logo to show that if you love your tuner, I can add the tuner's logo to your shroud. I'll only do this if the tuner gives you permission.

While I'm dealing with some limitations, this piece uses a sort of carbon-fiber background with centered logo and a airbrushed in shot of a truck.

The one above is a work in progress for Jeff (207). I'm not done yet... but I did want to show a shamu label. I'm also working on one for Darrell (DJCapri50), and one for Jody (383SVT) and his race truck.

The sample above is intended for tuners/vendors who would be interested in selling a tuner/vendor-specific label to their customers. If you're interested, send me a PM and we'll figure out pricing on a minimum quantity order that makes sense for both of us. But what nicer compliment to your business could you have than a shroud label with your name and contact information.

As far as individual label design goes... all you have to do is send me a $40.00 "gift" via paypal and I will design your custom label. Gift Donations have to be made in advance, and can be either PayPal or US Postal Money Order.

If you have a carbon fiber shroud, you can still add one of these labels... you just need to take 5 minutes to center and align it with a couple of pieces of blue/green painter's tape. This is a kind of open group buy that I will keep available for all members of Lightning Rodder. I will add other design concepts and finished designs as they are completed. BTW, here's Rob's shroud label installed on his truck:

We had to simplify it because of printing issues, but it turned out pretty hot. And everyone... feel free to ask questions, I will try my best to answer them on the fly. But keep in mind these are CUSTOM, I'm not mass-producing anything, and its not something I can spit out in a day or two. Each label is a piece of art in itself. You tell me what you want, and I'll do my level best to give it to you. It can easily take two weeks from order to shipping the finished label, and we will have dialogue via email during that time.

Thanks for your patience and compliments on this project.

Mike

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,604 Posts
Mike, huge kudos to you for this product. It's one thing to get one with build info and all that....but the customization is GREAT! I'm sure with as many folks as we have on LR that we are going to come up with some super designs. I'll be in for one of these just as soon as I figure out what I want....

·
10,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If we design our own, would you print them?
Also, I believe these can be put on like other decals and wet the surface with soap and water and then squeegie the water out once you get it in place where you want it.
These are adhesive-backed vinyl... no water or soap involved. You simply peel off the backing and apply, like a political bumper sticker. Within reason I should be able to work up something from your wish list.

Mike, huge kudos to you for this product. It's one thing to get one with build info and all that....but the customization is GREAT! I'm sure with as many folks as we have on LR that we are going to come up with some super designs. I'll be in for one of these just as soon as I figure out what I want.... (I know I'd like to have JJ's logo on their as he did my tuning.)
Thanks for the props... as noted above, I will do my level best to try to give you what you want, but it can't be an endless process either. I charge double the cost of these labels an hour for serious graphic design work. For instance... if somebody has a tribal tattoo that they want matched, they will have to get me a digital file from the artist in black and white and color. Re-creating something that complex can take hours in a vector drawing program before it can be used. If you want your tuner's logo, please get permission from them. Their logos are copyrighted material and can only be used with permission.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Great work! I always like seeing new ideas. The shroud labels have always been a hit and I cant say I've seen any quite as thought out as yours. :smt023

·
10,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little bit of advice for those people considering a label. Break it down to background color... you could try to match your truck's color (difficult with silver or dsg), or consider the carbon fiber look. Then think about the pinstripe color, whether you want one or not. Next, think about the center... the focal point. You could go with the Lightning/Harley logo/badge, a picture of the truck in the center, or consider the Ford Racing logo in a contrasting color. I can add a pinstripe around a center picture, ro you could flank the center with flames or the tribal look. Also consider what text you want; build number, build date, your name, hometown, maybe your best ET/MPH/Date, or your dyno numbers. Just food for thought.

·
10,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lobsta'Lew!!! Hey Lew howya'doin? Whatever happened with the heads? Did you enjoy those lobsters? Boy, I wish your (polished) bezels were removeable... I just installed 3 gauges on the pod with the thicker style silver bezels.

Great Job!

This should be made a sticky!

Lew

·
Stingin' Your Ass!
2,022 Posts
I will be ordering one soon as Rob is picking up the bill for me :)

Just gotta get some shots of the truck and all!

Awesome product!

·
10,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will be ordering one soon as Rob is picking up the bill for me :)

Just gotta get some shots of the truck and all!

Awesome product!
Thanks Brandy... Do I have to come up with something in Slinky Pink? :shitstormretarded

·
10,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe pink bees? We can do that. :smt023 BTW, did you ever look at the ProSport gauges? Just installed their Boost/Vac and Fuel pressure along with AEM Wideband in the triple, have the Aeroforce on the column. Check it out. Painted pod with Duplicolor Vinyl dye/paint, decent match for medium grey.

·
Stingin' Your Ass!
2,022 Posts
I didn't look at them, I might now that I saw yours. Thanks for the info.

Def need something with a Bee on it, I am diging the storm one or Robs, just tweaked a little for me :)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I still want to do one but I have something custom in mind. I'll get with you about the details when I get it figured out to see if you can do it.

·
10,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still want to do one but I have something custom in mind. I'll get with you about the details when I get it figured out to see if you can do it.
Maybe incorporate a turbo into the graphics? Think about it, and shoot me a PM when you have some ideas you like.

·
.030, XR heads, [email protected]
12,831 Posts
Great work! I always like seeing new ideas. The shroud labels have always been a hit and I cant say I've seen any quite as thought out as yours. :smt023

haha but yours says 10 second L in it!!!!! [smilie=bo:bigtu

1 - 20 of 125 Posts