Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i was reading the thru the threads and i seen a post that made me jump and second my opinion when to go to the track. Post read running in 40 degrees with a 4lb pulley on the stock rods takes some balls.

OK i just :shitstormretarded myself

Im planning on running a 6lb pulley tuned with the mods in my thread

So why in 4 degrees is it going to cause such a big difference should i sell my 6 lb get a 3 lb or even a 2lb and just run the track in 40 degrees and produce the same times in the quarter mile.

reason i say this is i work april thru sept hardcore 50+ hours but during oct and november i have lots of free time

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
WOT with a 6lb around 40* is when 2 of my stock rods let go... Some have handled it fine, some not so much. It really can be a gamble, but WOT near freezing temps is not really advised with a 6lb. Looking back, a 2lb pulley instead of a 6 would have saved me a bunch of money, first a longblock, now a transmission. :)

If its a DD, the only 100% safe bet is to leave it at stock boost.

·
BLACK SUNSHINE
2,787 Posts
just gotta know when not to get into the throttle.

would you push the peddal through the floor if a cop was beside you? Probably not.

so why would you do the same in nearly freezing temps?

either way, you'll be screwed!

colder temps = denser air

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,768 Posts
What area of the country are you in? I think your biggest concern in cold weather is pegging the MAF. If you are running that SCT2400 that should alleviate that concern. And whomever tunes your truck can give you a "cold weather" tune for your XCAL.

I've got 5 years under my belt running around in cold weather. You'll be alright with the things I mentioned above.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is the 4lber tuned going to be safer then a 6 lb tuned. Really nervous about going to a 6 lb and throwing a rod with only 30 k on my truck .

i dont have immediate funds for a new block and i dont really want to find that out

the 6lb set up thread got me thinking

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Threw a rod with my 6# setup in 37° weather. 38k on the block. Even had an SCT BA2400 and Wideband setup. When they want to go, they go :D

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
dont smash it in the cold and u will be fine guys run stock pulleys and they still go it happens weak link in the motor.

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
You could blow the STOCK setup in near freezing weather.. Its not so much the pulley as it is the tune. The car will lean out with the colder and more dense air. In all reality you can tune for it.

Rule number 1, don't get your car dyno tuned above 80-85 degrees, those are the people who the most issues because their tunes are made for much higher ambient temps..

I'm a turbo guy myself and LOVE fall weather.. You can walk out side and just smell the air and tell when it is good "turbo weather" Nice thick air and a few droplets of condensation in the air... Its time to haul ass and go pick on liter bike..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.