Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this on The NLOC and the So cal Lo, but I still am searching for answers. I have an 04L and I bought a superchip micro tunner. When I installed it the OD light kept flashing so I called Superchips and they had me return my truck to stock settings and send it back to them. :smt010 Three weeks later I got it back. Still the same thing, The overdrive light keeps flashing. Truck ran strong and tranny shifted great as expected. I sent it back to them again and still waitng on the return. Has any body had this kind of problem with their micro tunner or any other chip down load that effected the transmission OD light.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
I haven't "BUT"
YES I've heard of this before
I will see if I can hunt down the answer, and report back for you Bro.

BTW
WELCOME rumrunner, Thanks for joining [smilie=wavey.gif] , if you don't already know, the Forum is only 1 week young today and we already have some really cool stuff, Video's, Sound Files, a Gallery, we're just starting the HOW TO section, of course the Forums, and the soon to be main Site, (which is going to be a kick a$$ on line Magazine.)

Hope to see you here often, we may just be starting out, but most of us are BIG TIME L/HD people, with lots of Forum experience, we hope to make this place truly differant, a wealth of information for all of us to use, a place to upload you favorite Vid or sound file, create a Gallery + Sig, and soon a place to be kept up to date on racing events, performance news, products, etc....
The Forum is just the icing on the cake :D

Please stop in often, and we'd appreciate if you tell some L People about it.
(if you don't mind of course)

I'll report back if I can find your answer

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again, I hope you cam find an answer to the overdrive light :smt010

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Not a answer, sorry Bro :(
but got dam do A LOT of people have Blinking OD lights
AND FOR A LOT of DIFFERENT REASONS. WOW :shock:
Those reasons are usually very real and very bad, but we're not going there because yours is SCT related, when you go back to stock, the light does stop Blinking YES ?

Ok here's what I do know, TONS of L's (including quite a few of my L friends)
use a SCT tuner, and NONE have the issue you talk of.

The post I have read that HAD a blinking OD Light after being tuned,
was when adding a Chip, NOT A TUNER. That problem was almost always because the contacts were not cleaned completly before they put the Chip in, "OR" it's not in all the way, "OR" not making full contact, etc. (Actually fairly common)

I also know of more than a couple of people that simply got a bad Chip,
(so it is very possible you simply got a bad Tuner)

I also remember the 03's were quite a challange the first few months they hit the streets, and certain Chips would almost always create a prob,
if I remember correct it actually may have been the blinking OD light
(again this was only when the 03's FIRST HIT THE STREETS, the tuners figured it out fast enough. But the point being there are sometimes issues when a new year comes out and something that worked last year on a 03, now don't work on a 04.

Usually when a proper running L all of a sudden throws a Blinking OD light, it's because they recently installed Headers. It seems MANY ended up melting a wire that is now too close to the exhuast as a result of the new system, and once shorted out it blows a fuse and goes into "Limp Mode"
THIS IS ACTUALLY A VERY COMMON PROBLEM AFTER INSTALLING HEADERS
But you would know if you were in Limp Mode, so thats out.

One thing I do know, When the OD Blinks, it's because it threw a Code,
I also know people say most scanners cant read the Ford Transmission Codes, so you won't even know why.

So my conclusion brings me to believe this, since you obviously aren't in Limp Mode, and we can assume the light didn't go on cause a code was throw (cause your trans is fine), and you didn't just ad headers, and you don't have to clean terminals or keep a Chip pluged in.
SO, I say it's Simpy a bad unit, or not the correct unit

in the high % of PROB NOT, There is always the possibility your Computer was reflashed by Ford, this has been done many times through the years, (the owner would never even know) and has caused issues when trying to put a tune on top if it.

GOOD LUCK, please keep us posted ........

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bummer on the chip rumrunner.
I wonder if it is an 04 thing?
How many miles do you have on her?

I've had my 04 for almost 3 months and really love it over the 99 I had.
Seems like every year has its own little quirks.
I wonder what ours will be.......

Nice to have you here :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My OD light goes away in stock mode. The programmer is a micro tunner from superchips. It has so many options. They come with a preprogrammed settings fro optimum performance. but it also gives you the options of setting you own tolerences. for example if you add a 4 # or 6# pulley, change tire size or rear end gears. Ad this mod or that. So one weekend I spent 2 days changing all the seetings and going back to stock mode and still no luck. It always came on after 2 to 7 miles of driving. It goes away when it's in stock mode. So It's got to be on them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe so too. But for the 04's it's a 1714........

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a call from superchips this a.m. and they said they had got to work on an 04 L like mine and they were able to simulate the problem with the OD light. They said what they learned was the torque converter wasn't sending the proper shift message that the previous gear was shifted and the new gear was engaged. They think this was the issue so I should get it back by the end of the week. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
rumrunner said:
I got a call from superchips this a.m. and they said they had got to work on an 04 L like mine and they were able to simulate the problem with the OD light. They said what they learned was the torque converter wasn't sending the proper shift message that the previous gear was shifted and the new gear was engaged. They think this was the issue so I should get it back by the end of the week. I will keep you posted.
Well good luck with it and keep us posted.

later
brian

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a follow up on my superchips issue. It' s toast, finiese, done. I recieved it back this Saurday a.m. and they still did not fix the problem of the OD light flashing i have sent it back to them twice already. they are refunding me with no hassle. So with that I will try the preditor. I have a 4#pulley and a valve body now. I have located a Mustang/lightning shop here in So. Cal. called Swanson performance, they come highly recommended and after thier dyno, I pitty the ignorant (SS's and Hemi's) :smt010 that think they can challenge me on a weekly basis. :smt027

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to hear it still did not work...BTW that was my 04 Lightning they were using. I have the new program flashed on my PCM now and no problems...However I have yet to go and get the FREE tuner, have them flash back to stock and then flash it with the tuner itself. I hope I don't have any issues...Good Luck on the new tune.
I would really like the SCT custom tuner but could not pass up the free tuner...they only used my truck for a day. And yes it runs like a scalded doggy...A/F 11.5 across the board w/1714 and 4# lower.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, small world. I hope it works better for you. They had told me your truck OD light came on also. But they said they tweeked the program and corrected it on yours. So they did the same tweeking in my program but no go. ! I really have to say Steve the manager there was very helpful and I know he was just as frustrated. But I gotta do what I gotta do. It's been shipped back and forth 2 times and they have had it for over 5 weeks in all. When you dump 400 dollars on a program you want to use it.....That's why I ordered a valve body. It will eliminate the need for the program to take over my trany pressure. And the preditor I can use it without the trany program. I know people have had issues with the preditor but if you take it to a tunner and you keep the advancement at an exceptable level and make sure your 02/fuel is okay then it should be fine....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I talked to Danny Swanson today and explained my OD issue with the superchips micro tuner. He knew right off the bat what the problem was. He told me it was the perameters in the down shift pressure was higher than the up shift pressure in one of the gears. he believed between 3-4 gear. But couldn't be sure unless he diagnosed it. SO I called superchips and related the possibility of what he had said. Steve at superchips seemed pretty preceptive to looking into it. But who know's. This is just an FYI to anybody who may come across this issue in the future.
David

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well it seems that SC is still havin the issue with the tuner, for some reason when he flashes the program directly onto my PCM, there is no problem. They have asked me to use the L again, I said maybe for another FREE tuner...Might have one for sale soon. :twisted:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 03 with a 1715 with no probs so far except that i bought a 2# (on hp4) and am wondering if i should get a 4#.

I kinda played it safe (at least in my mind) I have the shift points at stock, pressures superchips, and tr7ix plugs - i do only have 91 oct. available so maybe it would be best to stay with a 2#?

I've also even considered putting some eagle rods in over the winter before i up to a 4#, but then i see what Rob's been doing :shock: on a stock block and it makes me wonder if rods would be required for a 4#?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey sonic blue, you don't need rods with a 4#der. They say the engine will take up to almost 550hp on the SVT motor. I have a 4#der and a preditor tune and i'm pulling about 485 crank ponies with 397rwhp(SAE) and 484 torque. You would do just fine with your mods.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts