Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reaching out to the pros...

I have a 2003 Lightning with 65K on the odo. Recently after a belt change, I noticed it was making this choppy/flutter noise as opposed to the nice, clean whine we’re used to. No loss in power noted and I can only replicate under acceleration. Eaton supercharger ported & polished by Stiegemeier and installed in ‘09. Actions since this started in Dec are as follows:

• Complete rebuild (tuned & dyno’d)
  • New plugs
  • New coil packs
  • New fuel filter
  • New belt
  • New tensioner
Appreciate any help in advance. Standing by for any questions/clarification.

-Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dhcourson!

Welcome Sir!

Yes perplexing. I recently saw this video on youtube about diagnosing fuel injectors. I wonder if one of yours has decided to work from home.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,074 Posts
What plugs are you using, what is the gap set at? Could be spark blow out...
Boost level?

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,227 Posts
I run NJK TR-6 gapped at .036. But I am only doing ten pounds, not 12 or 14.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just delt with this exact issue. I noticed mine under heavy throttle after shifting to second gear. It was a coil pack on number 6 for me. Cops had probably 20k on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just delt with this exact issue. I noticed mine under heavy throttle after shifting to second gear. It was a coil pack on number 6 for me. Cops had probably 20k on them.
I was hoping coils were gonna knock it out. After a brand new set of Accel coils, it’s still with us. Think I’m gonna swap out the boost bypass valve next.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,227 Posts
There's also the Boost Bypass Solenoid. The third sensor back from the front on the driver's side of the blower. First two are EGR. And the last is the Barometric Pressure Sensor.

I believe, due to it's function, the Boost Bypass Solenoid could be more the cause of the problem than the actual Boost Bypass Valve. The solenoid actually lets boost off if it detects an "overboost" condition. The trucks will run fine without it, but you have to delete it in the tune or the CEL will turn on. If your truck is a 99/00, it likely doesn't have it.

Easy way to check the Boost Bypass valve, with the engine idling and a flashlight shining on the linkage underneath it, give the engine a good hard quick stab with the throttle linkage. You should observe it drop down. Vacuum holds the valve in the open position, up. Absent of vacuum. it drops down. All the was to the stop if long and hard enough and adjusted properly. With the engine off, it should drop all the way down and rest on the stop. When you start it, it should go all the way up. If it doesn't, there's a vacuum leak in it.

There's a proper way to adjust it. But I've not had much luck with my new one using that method. Only way I can get my new one to work properly is to loosen the two bolts that hold it on, push it hard down on the bolts and tighten them. My boost gauge is real sensitive using this method. If I use the method offered here on this site, it hardly moves at all. Don't know if that's because it's new, or what???

Here, you're told to adjust it by slightly loosening the bolts til it just moves. With the engine off, adjust it so it just rests very lightly on the lower stop. Then tighten the bolts. As I said, doesn't work for mine. mine only works right pushed down hard as far as it will go, then tighten the bolts. Driving around town, the needle comes off the bottom of the gauge with barely any throttle at all. I like it that way.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I was hoping coils were gonna knock it out. After a brand new set of Accel coils, it’s still with us. Think I’m gonna swap out the boost bypass valve next.
I tried Accel COPS years ago and went back to stock. Never looked back at almost 100K miles. Consistent 12's in the AZ heat.

Reactions: Dhcourson77

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's also the Boost Bypass Solenoid. The third sensor back from the front on the driver's side of the blower. First two are EGR. And the last is the Barometric Pressure Sensor.

I believe, due to it's function, the Boost Bypass Solenoid could be more the cause of the problem than the actual Boost Bypass Valve. The solenoid actually lets boost off if it detects an "overboost" condition. The trucks will run fine without it, but you have to delete it in the tune or the CEL will turn on. If your truck is a 99/00, it likely doesn't have it.

Easy way to check the Boost Bypass valve, with the engine idling and a flashlight shining on the linkage underneath it, give the engine a good hard quick stab with the throttle linkage. You should observe it drop down. Vacuum holds the valve in the open position, up. Absent of vacuum. it drops down. All the was to the stop if long and hard enough and adjusted properly. With the engine off, it should drop all the way down and rest on the stop. When you start it, it should go all the way up. If it doesn't, there's a vacuum leak in it.

There's a proper way to adjust it. But I've not had much luck with my new one using that method. Only way I can get my new one to work properly is to loosen the two bolts that hold it on, push it hard down on the bolts and tighten them. My boost gauge is real sensitive using this method. If I use the method offered here on this site, it hardly moves at all. Don't know if that's because it's new, or what???

Here, you're told to adjust it by slightly loosening the bolts til it just moves. With the engine off, adjust it so it just rests very lightly on the lower stop. Then tighten the bolts. As I said, doesn't work for mine. mine only works right pushed down hard as far as it will go, then tighten the bolts. Driving around town, the needle comes off the bottom of the gauge with barely any throttle at all. I like it that way.
This is great info! I need to study this and weigh it into my next step.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts