Lightning Rodder banner

Which would you choose??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being the Gearheads that we are here on Lightning Rodder, which would you choose to make your truck shoot down the 1/4mile like a real bolt of Lightning??
Have Fun Voting!!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I voted for the whipple simply because I would like to see how it would run on a Lightning... :LOL

In all honesty, the KBs are mean, but truly I would opt for a turbo setup!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I voted KB because the Whipple isn't out yet, although I do expect it to be equal to or better than the KB.

I ordered a turbo kit for mine, no more screwing around.

Jody

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
camcojb said:
I voted KB because the Whipple isn't out yet, although I do expect it to be equal to or better than the KB.

Jody
are you serious!! that is gona kick ass man
where did you order it from??

·
Registered
202 Posts
lightninmike said:
camcojb said:

Jody
are you serious!! that is gona kick ass man
where did you order it from??
From these guys:

http://www.proturbokits.com/default.asp

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
No Doubt the KB is King of Power (right now)
I believe Whipple will be better, and take KB out of the picture on aftermarket S/C Sales
(but I cant vote on something w/ NO #'s or testing yet) ???
The Mag is still my current choice, Best Band for the Buck, and I'm very happy with it

But
I'm with Jody, TURBO'S are the future, I'm giving it some thought myself.....
CONGRATS JODY, WOO HOO
I have Driving in Sal's Beast, and was giving one HELL OF A RIDE
That thing is sick, it also put down 750/850 ALL MOTOR, and has at least another hundred HP to claim just the way it sits ;)

·
Frauderator
5,862 Posts
i picked the magnum

great price

great sound

great power

but now that i have full exhaust , ported heads and cams i only see 15lbs of boost. i have a 8lb lower and a 2.7 upper

i also live at 3000' elevation

i am starting to think about a kb HEY JODY!!!!!!! I"M" me [smilie=fingersx.gif]

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
KB for me and for most of my customers.

Whipple, not out yet and is prettier than a non painted/polished KB, but the inlet and "kit" form doesnt appeal to me yet.

Magnum, Why bother if your using your rotors and the Ported Eatons are running just the same if not equal ET's/MPH's.

I've heard " I got it for the whine, you cant beat that Magnum Whine", but thats alot of money just for sound IMO.

Turbo's, for the most part they will be out of reach for most people dollar wise and installation wise, also the daily driveability of them has yet to be proven. I'm sure it can be done, but most are being purpose built just for racing.

Spend 3k, get a KB, Paint it or polish it, bolt it on without having to make up a "kit" and relocate stuff and your done...

NUFF SAID!!!!!!! :D :D

[email protected]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Turbo's, for the most part they will be out of reach for most people dollar wise and installation wise, also the daily driveability of them has yet to be proven. I'm sure it can be done, but most are being purpose built just for racing.

[email protected]
Pretty true as far as pricing. That kit I'm going with is $5795. so that makes it nearly double a KB set-up. It will probably make 100+ more rwhp at the same boost though, plus it's going to be quieter exhaust-wise which is a big plus for me. As far as longevity I'd think a turbo will dramatically outlast any of the blowers out there. Now if the supporting hardware is up to the task remains to be seen. Plus I think they're easier on the motor boost for boost. At any rate I'm looking forward to getting this setup and you can count on a full write-up on the performance with dyno results.

Jody

·
Registered
734 Posts
KB for me and for most of my customers.

Whipple, not out yet and is prettier than a non painted/polished KB, but the inlet and "kit" form doesnt appeal to me yet.

Magnum, Why bother if your using your rotors and the Ported Eatons are running just the same if not equal ET's/MPH's.

I've heard " I got it for the whine, you cant beat that Magnum Whine", but thats alot of money just for sound IMO.

Spend 3k, get a KB, Paint it or polish it, bolt it on without having to make up a "kit" and relocate stuff and your done...

NUFF SAID!!!!!!!   :D :D

[email protected]
JJ, you know your my boy and all but I'm gonna make you bite your toung on the MP statement. Remember I had the second MP blower ever built. I laid down 24 lb of boost on JDM's dyno.

This year we went 115 lb of set presure on my valve springs to handle the bigger boost I plan on adding once my bugs are worked out. I am going to be runing the stage 3 cams this year with my little extras. I have all the bolt on except a single blad TB and an e-fan.

I can't wait to see what my truck will do! I have to admit I have one other secret weapon (God)

Peace,

Suavy

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
I would go with a KB just due to it has provin itself to be the shit were it the wipple at [smilie=popcorn.gif], All We have heard it good #'s it is going to make. Sure it has done wonders for the cobra guys but we need one as well to see truly how well it will handle with a built motor and stock motor.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
JJ, you know your my boy and all but I'm gonna make you bite your toung on the MP statement. Remember I had the second MP blower ever built. I laid down 24 lb of boost on JDM's dyno.

This year we went 115 lb of set presure on my valve springs to handle the bigger boost I plan on adding once my bugs are worked out. I am going to be runing the stage 3 cams this year with my little extras. I have all the bolt on except a single blad TB and an e-fan.

I can't wait to see what my truck will do!  I have to admit I have one other secret weapon (God)

Peace,

Suavy
Its all good G.

I surely do hope that someone does make that MP perform as well as it was initially advertised to do.

I've seen quite a few people shell out alot of money for the MP and the "required parts to make it work" (ie; injectors, pumps, big maf etc..) but none of them are running stellar times for all that money spent.

Just for arguments sake, here is my example of what the KB can do on a stock block compared to the MP.

Nuno, aka Thunderstruck, 99 Lightning with stock block, 65k hard miles on it and stock trans has been in the 11.30's @ 15lbs of KB boost and ran a string of 11.50's with a failing Tq Converter at the spring SSOTN event this year. He has 50lb injectors, upgraded pumps and a MAF extender on a stock 90mm MAF. (when he went 11.31 last fall he was using stock pumps). Most of the MP stock block trucks that I've seen are running similar setups and at 20lbs of boost, they are running 11.50's-11.70's and the few that do perform that well have spent alot more money than Nuno has on things such as dyno tuning(two to three or more sessions), 100mm MAF pipes that utilize the electronics from the SCT Big Meter (so you gotta buy that meter along with the 100mm Pipe, injectors, pumps and the MP on top of that with the new pulley/tensioner setup.

Nuno's Lightning wasnt on the dyno until after it ran the 11.31 and we found more power at that 11.31 boost level that eventually led to the converters failure this spring.

My point is that the MP is a great blower, dont get me wrong on that, but I would rather shell out an extra grand or so and slap the KB on, run lower boost and better ET's/MPH's. As I have told you in many conversations my friend, Boost is not always the answer, sometimes it the limiting factor if big boost numbers is all your after.

Does KB have quaility issues? Yes but the MP has also and since the MP hasnt been sold in the sheer volume that the KB has, you cant say that KB's quality is worse.

Im interested in the Whipple and Im sure once it comes out we will find people using it and I look forward to those results.

[email protected]

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just stepped up to the KB. Proven performance and straight forward install/use helped me decide. I really think it's pretty versatile with the pulley swap ease. I plan on running around 15 lbs boost and tuning to keep it very driveable.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.