Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been reading and searching day in and day out. I must say this is one of the best forums for PROVEN knowledge that I have been on. I'm still left with many questions that I'm having trouble answering. I also am looking for suggestions on build. I have a 2000 Expedition 5.4 NA 4X4 with bad head gaskets that will be pulled hopefully this weekend. It does have the 4r100 transmission. The expy has a 6" lift that was customized to fit (got It for cheap off an f150). Currently running 38's. It will be used and abused as a mud truck, hooked to pulling sleds, and hopefully taken to the track once or twice a year to put HEMI owners to shame. I would really like to shoot for 500/550+. Obviously the more the better, but keep in mind it has to be a semi reliable truck because it will be driven on the street and possibly pulling a trailer.

Would you say the Better option is to buy everything from a stock L to swap and then replace with aftermarket. Or would just buying the OE parts I need and then buying aftermarket for everything else be the better option?

I would like to just buy what I need OE wise and then get all my aftermarket parts instead of wasting the money. Only.problem is I can't seem to figure out what all I will need. This is where you guys come in.

I've decided to go with stock cast crank (the old man has faith in it) unless I find a great deal on a used L crank. Mahnley I Beams, and Mahnley pistons. I want the absolute best flowing heads available, I've read about the trick heads that WMS is porting but can't seem to find them and I hate calling places and sounding like an idiot.

Now for the dreaded question list...
Stock lower Intake, would finding an aftermarket outweigh the cost with performance gains or would a good port and polish be a close comparison and save a lot of money.

Stock a/w IC, I really love this idea, but how well will it work on the street and going slow, high heat, high rpm mud bogging? I really like the simplicity of a/a but nervous about plugging it with mud and my winch is in the way. Winch isn't a problem so much.

Charger, I know the eaton is trustworthy but I am not so sure it would be great for future mods (may try to throw motor in mustang when expy rots away) I have heard mixed reviews on the whipple 2.3, but one thing is consistent, it makes some serious torque. Noise isn't something I'm concerned with, either loud or quiet, no difference.

Fuel, I will probably try to go with larger than a 60lb. considering I may be going with e85 tune. I've always had good luck with walborro 225s but I know they don't like e85. Obviously I would need duals. I will probably go with a 97 fuel rail and aeromotive reg.

misc. High vol. Oil pump, upper intake, headers, throttle body, maf tube, water pump, cooling fans, and other fun bits.

I'm sorry for the long post, and I am open to ANY suggestions. 500 is minimum I would like but definitely open to higher numbers!

thanks,
will

· Registered
990 Posts
I guess what is your budget?

I believe the lincoln navigators share the same crank as a L

If 500-550 is your goal you should be ok w/ gt500 rods

Eatons can be had for a fraction of the price of a whipple. If you don't like it later on its not that big of a hit to upgrade

You will need the OEM lower intake, mid plate, intercooler, intercooler pump, pulley bridge, s/c and crank pullies that meet your boost needs to say the least

What are your plans for a tune? Do you live near a tuner or would you go the email route?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure I like the email route, never tried it though. I would be willing to haul it to a tuner if there was a reputable one near pittsburgh. Most here specialize and only do Japanese cars. I would be happy with 500 or higher but at the same time I want to have the bottom ready for 650+ if I want it. I would rather run the parts to a safe limit rather than push everything to its max. Thanks for the quick reply man, you guys are awesome!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.