Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i need some diagrams on the timing and cam set up
i thought that i had the cams correct but it just isnt happening, the truck will run but it seems like it is always off a tooth or so. tomorrow will be the third time i try this shit and for some reason i cant get it right, if you guys out there in interweb land can help me out in any way please do. if you have diagrams you can e-mail them to me at [email protected]
thanks very much

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey Mike,

This thread may help some - don't know if you've already seen it...

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13365

What brand of cams are you running? I have read that Comp Cams have as much as 5 degrees of advance ground into the profile and that the factory cam gears are inconsistant with regard to the keyway location (can be off by several degrees). It's not online help, but I looked the the SHM book at Border's - something about "How to build a 4.6 for maximum power" or some crap like that. I did not buy it (yet), but I will be - much of it is purely a SHM commercial, but it also covers the 5.4 and it has a full section on degreeing the cams. If you degree them, you'll know for sure whether the can or gears or both are causing a shift in the location of the base circle.

Good Luck Man, [smilie=fingersx.gif]
Herb

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks again herb
ill let you know if i am going to NY but i hope not [smilie=fingersx.gif]

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Herb........... right now i want to drink alot
i have the cams timed exactly the way they should be, all the timing marks are in the right spot and the chains liked up perfect but she will still not idle clean
it will start and it will idle however it is very rough and i can smell raw fuel. i know it wont idle like a stock truck but right now it is idleing like a big block with a huge freekin cam in it
am i supposed to let her run a bit to let the computer learn the new cams????? right now i just dont know. i got an e-mail from Johnny last night so i might try to give him a call
thanks for the help you guys and if anyone else has any input on how their cammed motor idled when first put in please let me know if this is normal
again thanks Mat and Herb, ill let you know how i make out on this board or another or both:)

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
I'm not familiar with your setup, but if you installed different injectors then your tune needs to be adjusted for them and if your tune is fine then you need to setup your TPS correctly to get the idle right.

You may have to slot the TPS adjustment holes to get the voltage below 1v after you adjust the tbody setscrew.

If you have any questions, feel free to call anytime.

[email protected]

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sorry, I was off this weeekend. I have the drawings and would suggest that you change the Cranks & Cam sensors. They can be damaged fairly easy. Also the crank trigger if it was dropped or chipp could cause you the same issues. You can call me this evening at (586) 752-8167 I would be honored to help out.

Peace,

Suavy

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
man you jsut keep helping and helping :ughyeahhah:
but i did figure it out, turns out that i bent a valve slightly and had to pull the head back off :smt010
no other damage besides my pride
thanks for all your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts