Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far do you guys think I can push the stock MAF with a MAFIA on a 5inch tube? I was told around 800rwhp. Any inputs?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
You would have to log it and see. I have a hard time believing you could get that out of a stock maf even in a 5" tube. I'm running a 4.5" tube and with my ba2800 I see maf counts in the low 900s. But with a extender who knows. I plan on going 5" over winter and will prob switch to a slot style. I had a mafia for awhile but ditched it when I went built.

·
Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would have to log it and see. I have a hard time believing you could get that out of a stock maf even in a 5" tube. I'm running a 4.5" tube and with my ba2800 I see maf counts in the low 900s.
Well stock MAF with the MAFIA. I understand the MAFIA can take it pretty far. Just wondering. I won't be increasing the boost or anything just adding a custom plenum and 170mm TB with a 5 inch intake.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Well stock MAF with the MAFIA. I understand the MAFIA can take it pretty far. Just wondering. I won't be increasing the boost or anything just adding a custom plenum and 170mm TB with a 5 inch intake.
You are going to see more flow with the 170mm tb. I always wondered if resolution suffered down low when using an extender. Maybe others who have more experience tuning with them will chime in.

·
Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just checked a track log from recently. The most it peaked on MAF counts as it now with the factory 2.3 kit is 901. It ranges from 840-901 counts in a full 1/4 run.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Sounds like you will be fine then with upgrading with a larger tube.

·
Administrator
18,571 Posts
You are going to see more flow with the 170mm tb. I always wondered if resolution suffered down low when using an extender. Maybe others who have more experience tuning with them will chime in.
Yes, the resolution will be affected negatively with an extender. But it also would suffer with a "bigger" Maf. Also in a 5" tube the stock type Maf is going to be a questionable choice. Slot style would be a much better choice in a tube that big.

Jim

·
Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do guys mean by suffering down low? What's the max count on a MAF?

Also this is what would be welded on.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
A pegged maf is 5v or 1024 counts

·
Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
a mafia will take you as far as you want to go, just needs to be tuned

Good to know. Yes it will be retuned with the new plenum, monster throttle body and 5 inch intake.

I read there is different settings on the mafia that the tuner can switch it too. Like 0-7 setting on the actually device. I am on number 2 currently.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
sinister made 997 hp with a stock maf element in a 5" tube with an 88mm turbo.

what they mean bad resolution down low, is that the maf may have trouble accurately measuring the volume of air in a low flow situation like part throttle, low rpms.

i have a ba2800 in a 4" tube. i was using a ba2400 with a mafia, until the mafia died on me. some people have had good luck with extenders, i did not.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
look into upgrading to a slot style and run a gt500 maf..

i run a regular mustang gt maf in a 4inch pipe and needed a mafia..

·
Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sinister made 997 hp with a stock maf element in a 5" tube with an 88mm turbo.

what they mean bad resolution down low, is that the maf may have trouble accurately measuring the volume of air in a low flow situation like part throttle, low rpms.

i have a ba2800 in a 4" tube. i was using a ba2400 with a mafia, until the mafia died on me. some people have had good luck with extenders, i did not.

Thanks for the clarification. So with the mafia I should be able or my tuner will be able to adjust it to the correct setting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,675 Posts
How far do you guys think I can push the stock MAF with a MAFIA on a 5inch tube? I was told around 800rwhp. Any inputs?
I made 820/875 with a stock maf with a MAFia on #2 in a 4.5" tube. A MAFia will support whatever range you want to throw at it

I don't see how a MAFia will have any different resolution than an aftermarket meter. The PCM can only see a set range (1024 counts?) So whether it's a MAFia rescaling what the meter is seeing, or a meter itself doing the rescaling, you're at what you're at.

Also it seems that a MAFia on the #2 setting supports everything from 400rwhp to 800+ rwhp when used in a 4.5" tube (could support even more in a 5" because the bigger the diameter the less air passing over the sensor with more area in the tube). Yet it seems like the SCT meters have to keep getting changed out between 2400/2600/2800/3000. I guess my point is a MAFia on #2 has been used for over a decade in trucks and dialed in perfectly fine and streetable and no resolution issues, and no maxing out. SCT meters have also been dialed in fine, but you have to keep changing the entire meter every time you turn the wick up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts