Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Lightning
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 04 Lightning with 36k miles. Mods in signature. Currently I pushed out a head gasket but no water in the oil. Going to a set of TFS CNC ported heads and a (very) lumpy comp cams for the sound and HP. These motors are known for their under-engineered junk rods. I’m not going to an H-Beam shortblock yet however. My theory is keep the RPMs down to 5K (max) and A/F around 11.2-11.5 to keep it from grenading. Any experienced comments welcome. Currently best dyno number was 447. Went 12.41 at 109 (and change) at this level in south Florida. Let me know your thoughts on longevity making 500-525 RWHP on stock shortblock keeping RPMs down and A/F levels super safe. Thanks.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Its more the detonation you need to worry about than rpms at that point..if your tune is on point you may be safe for awhile, but as temperatures cool off towards winter the risk factor increases ..Guys have chucked rods out of the motor at way less than 5k rpms
Side note Make sure the cams you select are designed for the tfs head design

·
Administrator
18,383 Posts
Tune it mild and it could last a while. When asking for big power octane is your friend. Some get away with it a long time. Others not so lucky.

Jim

·
Registered
2004 Lightning
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its more the detonation you need to worry about than rpms at that point..if your tune is on point you may be safe for awhile, but as temperatures cool off towards winter the risk factor increases ..Guys have chucked rods out of the motor at way less than 5k rpms
Side note Make sure the cams you select are designed for the tfs head design
Glad you brought that up. I am aware of that timing variance but has anybody been able to confirm either track or dyno that the difference is more than academic? I’ve seen many posts of people making great power on the PI timed cams.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Glad you brought that up. I am aware of that timing variance but has anybody been able to confirm either track or dyno that the difference is more than academic? I’ve seen many posts of people making great power on the PI timed cams.
I believe it’s to due to the geometry differences....with mild PI cams there may be not as noticeable difference but once you start to run more radical/aggressive cam profiles, power gains are not what they should be and valve train issues can be had...I’m just repeating what I’ve read over the years..definitely worth the research..there are a few good threads on here discussing the issues

·
Member Senior
170 Posts
If the difference was academic there would not be a difference and we would all have the exact same cam. The timing of the valve events primary consequence is not the power made but at what rpm range the power is made.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you know where it makes peak torque then you can pull timing in that area some to help it live. Higher rpms aren't generally a problem. High loads at lower rpms is what does it. These trucks make peak torque pretty low generally. Just a little bit of timing pulled in peak torque area may give you some wiggle room.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
10,399 Posts
If you know where it makes peak torque then you can pull timing in that area some to help it live. Higher rpms aren't generally a problem. High loads at lower rpms is what does it. These trucks make peak torque pretty low generally. Just a little bit of timing pulled in peak torque area may give you some wiggle room.
Which is why we have always said, Don't let it shift into OD at full boost, and don't put your foot to the floor in OD. OD is a killer on these trucks. I just turn it off until such a time as I actually need it. I don't like driving it around with the engine lugging in OD at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts