tim skelton posted this on f150 a while ago:

stock front 650
stock rear 180

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:smt023

Any idea if the coils are progressive or not?

I am considering option for dropping the front. I have a pair of stock F150 coils from a 97 Reg cab, short box 4.6 that are the same free height and coil wire diameter as the L springs ( :smt017) and I'm thinking of cutt a full coil out of those. This will bring the spring rate up and the height down - plus, if I screw up too bad, I always have the stock L coils left.

The other option (see me oher thread) would be to buy a pair of Roush front coils, but I'm not having luck finding them.

Thanks,
Herb

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
they don't look like progressive springs, so i would confidently assume they aren't.

if you find the spring rate for the regular coils you could estimate the new spring rate from cutting the coils. i found a formula somewhere on the net.

i say go for it, i have heard you should set the spring in a bucket of water so most of it is submerged to keep it cool, and use a cut off wheel to cut them.

how much of a drop are you looking for?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea on teh bucket of water (even better if I use the air cut-out tool instead of the electric angle grinder :smt115).

I'm putting in a set of Roush rear leafs that should drop about 3" in the back. I am running 2" shackels now, but those will likely come off for the new springs. I guess I'm shooting for 1-1/2" to 2" in the front to level it out. The nice thing about the f150 coils is that they are FREE!

It's my understanding that the spring rate is determined by: 1) wire guage (diameter), 2) wire material (composition), 3) coil pitch (# of coils per X inches) and 4) compressed (installed) hight. The L and F150 share 2 to 3 of these by visual observation, leading me to beleive that that are the same part. I was under the impression that the L had specific coils and rear leafs. Maybe Not?

Herb

·
Registered
85 Posts
Herb,
Belltech was supposed to release thier 2" drop spindle kit late last month or early this month. It would be your best bet if it comes out quick..  [smilie=fingersx.gif]

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
when i looked up coils springs on fordpartsonline.com this is what i found:

COIL SPRING, F150, All - 2WD 00-04

but if you look up something that is definately L specific, like control arms you get this:

LOWER CONTROL ARM, F150, w/o Lightning, Left - 2WD 03-04

LOWER CONTROL ARM, F150, w/Lightning, Right - 2WD 03-04

interesting, hmmmmmm.

they may be the same springs and the ride height drop comes from shorter tires. has anybody measured the hub to fender distance on a regular f150?

the handling increase comes from the tires and sway bars i guess.

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
i have got a magazine on them and plenty of people sell them. i have cut springs before and had them bend under all thepressure over time and then one day. just fall out of the spring cup... i dont recommend just cutting them. replace them with a belltech one that you can go pick up the magazine TRUCKIN and the are in there

call sporttruck direct 1-888-800-8123

it is a 2 inch drop spring...

the kid

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK Folks,

Here's the real data. I pulled the front suspension apart this weekend for some other work, so here is the side-by-side comparison of the L front coil (02) vs. the 97 F150 4.6 auto, 2wd reg cab, short bed flairside.

coil - SVT
Part # - SVT XL3V-5310-AA
Free Height - 13.8750"
# coils - 8
Spring diameter - 5.6171"
Wire diameter - 0.7734"

coil - F150
Part # - OIL F65A-5310-MA
Free Height - 14.1875"
# coils - 8
Spring diameter - 5.5781"
Wire diameter - 0.7813"

I'm gonna cut 'em :rocker: (the F-150's)

Herb

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice work Herb But now I am even more confused??? Did you switch the tags to mess with my feeble mind?

The lightning is taller and thinner wire so they should be softer :smt017

What is the world comming to?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OH-MAN said:
Nice work Herb But now I am even more confused??? Did you switch the tags to mess with my feeble mind?

The lightning is taller and thinner wire so they should be softer :smt017

What is the world comming to?
Close - the L is shorter, thinner wire and bigger OD - both the same coil pitch with 8 wraps.

The pecentage differences are peanuts though - the F150 is 1% thicker, 0.7% smaller OD and 2.25% taller - all pretty insignificant amounts, if you aske me. The only real difference has to come from material composition or from the SVT specific lower control arms.

Herb

·
Registered
158 Posts
That makes more sense, If ford can use the same spring (shorter slightly) that would be cheaper than an entire run of special springs.
The height diff is enough to make them slightly stiffer.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Great post all, great comparison Erb, :smt023
It was pretty amazing watching that White L catch MAJOR AIR at FFW,
(and that was done while only running 12's)

Looks like someday I will need to look at my suspension too,
Herb your truck is going to be outstanding, and quite the Beast,
I see no rock will be left un-turned :cheers:

Me I'm always a day late, and a Dollar short, (make that 10,000.00 short) hehehehe

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Rob!

I just get carried away, that's all. As I'm working and things get in my way, I remove them. While they're off, I analyze the crap out of them, then clean them or paint them so I don't get so dirty when they go back on. I hate to see a 'new' engine in a ratty looking bay with smudges and fingerprints and dirt - That's just poor craftsmanship. There is, or at least should be, a craft in what we do and a pride to perform that craft.

I hope it's a beast, but more lately, I hope it gets finished! I looked in the garage and relaized that I pulled out the whole hydraulic brake system so I coul paint the frame, replace the fluid and, more importantly, have rationalization to install a line-lock. That's the stuff I do to myself.

I'm just damaged Rob, that's all. :D

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
herb, did you do the cooling mod yet?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bet on black said:
herb, did you do the cooling mod yet?
Not yet - I haven't touched much of the aluminum ('cept the heads) for a while now. I'm concentrating on getting the bay ready to accept its new donor first. That way the paint can cure longer before I have to risk damage to it.

Herb

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
let me know when you are going to get started. i can give you a few pointers.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Herb if you still have my No. give me a call at work I got some info you may want. [smilie=fingersx.gif]

Peace,

Suavy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep - got the office number and your cell. Which would be better and what time would be best for you?

Herb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts