Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'd love to say that I'm asking this for a friend, but... I only got "into" cars very recently, and while I am learning fast, some of the stuff I don't know still amazes me, and embarasses me. So with that said, I have alot of questions I would really appreciate someone answering, with as little laughter as possible. :D

Stock bottom end. Our trucks are good for roughly 450RWHP on a stock bottom end, right? WTF makes up the "bottom" end? What makes up a built block? Does not having a stock bottom end mean you have a built block? How expensive is it to have a nice and strong bottom end? What parts? Labor? Do you have to yank the engine? Having a built block means replacing the engine entirely?

I saw that Sal has a "lower end package" available on his website. So if I purchased that, would my truck be a built motor, or just have a built bottom end? Would the roughly 450RWHP limit of the stock block still apply, or no?

Okay, crawling under a rock and waiting for the laughter to subside. But whoeever answers these questions will have seriously helped, so thank you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll take a shot..

450Hp has been thrown around as the limit. Not sure if that is SAE or STD. My race program puts down 446 STD, so I guess I'm close to the number most people point to.

Most people agree if you just replace the rods, you'd have an engine good for at least 550-600HP. The reason most people don't do that is the cost could run $3000-3500 for someone to pull your engine, install the rods, new gaskets all around, and reinstall engine. A new short block installed price is often in the $5000-5500 range.

So most people option for the extra money to have the other components like you see in Sal's bottem end kit.

Hope that helps.

-Mark

·
Registered
75 Posts
The last time Johnny Lightning was down here in Houston for Dyno Day, he told us he could do a built short block swap for $5,000 (installed)...... and it didn't matter if your old block had already been windowed or not. Darn good price.

I owe 18 more months on my truck and as soon as it's paid off, I'm taking a trip to New Jersey for a JLP motor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
No such thing as dumb questions. Especialy here cause there ain't enough info in our Archives for the search NAZZI'S to jumb you :razz:

Generally speaking I would have to say that bottom end refers to everything below the heads.
Crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons.

Having one that is built just means that stronger than stock parts are used and more attention is given to balance and tolerances.

Our lightnings come stock with forged cranks and pistons so the main concern has been rods and rod bolts. The problem is you have to remove the engine and take it all apart to get to them so most guys upgrade to save on labor costs later on if they think they might really go nuts on horsepower. Or NOS or higher output Supercharger etc.

Hope this helps. Thanks for asking!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, it really does help. That 18k paycheck hasn't even hit my account yet, and I'm already spending it.

Trying to limit myself to about 8k, though. I'll hate myself later on if I spend *all* of it. Have to put at least a little away.

Thanks again. I'm learning so much every day, but it surprises me sometimes the little things that I realize I don't know. You guys really helped.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You would save money by purchasing the components seperate and then having it put together or putting it together yourself. My buddy just blew up his motor and got the rebuild ki8t from JDM which consited of the rods, pistons,wrist pins, bearings, then he bought hte crank and then he got a stock block and is having it all go to the machine shop to be machines to fit and then he and I will put it together. I believe he has about 2300 in it right now with no machine work the machine work is going to be about 700 to 1000. So figure he has everything done for under 4 k and to get a built motor from JDM is around 10 k for a long block and 7 k for a short block. (Short block is without the heads and long block is with heads). The heads onthe 5.4 run for 1800 each so if you can find a donor 5.4 out of another ford truck/suv (we use the same heads just change the cams) you will save the money for the block which is were the money comes in at. I have found that you can not buy just the block. A stock setup form ford is 4k that is complete with blower and intake.

Sorry so long just got carried away.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, no, no. That gives me alot to think about. Thanks for explaining that a long block has heads, the short doesn't. Something else I didn't know.

Installing myself will be no problem - my Dad is huge into cars and has been working on them and racing them since he was 15. I wish I would have hung out with him more often instead of waiting until I was 22 to start getting into it. :D Have alot to learn.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it all depends on what you want to do with your truck . racing only or daily driving or towing . do you plan on running 450hp or more ? i can tell you that the 99s could handle more than that . my connecting rods let go at around 700 at the crank . mines the one avalache is talking about finally givivg up . the secret to the stock motors is to run rich . it may be a little slower but it will last longer. i had a fuel pump switch short 1000ft out and that's bad on a 120 shot . i didn't have a nitrous explosion . but the wrist pins and connecting rods failed . still ran a 13.2 coasting almost 300ft . :shock: on the built motor find a good machinist and have him assemble the motor after the maching is done . you will still come out cheaper . the rods we run stock are called powder forged .

sorry for the long 1st post

ken

·
Registered
787 Posts
Do some research before dumping money in any one place. Is horsepower your only goal for the truck?

Rough numbers are thrown around, but there are people running mid 11s on the stock block. You will hear said over and over "its all in the tune" and its really true.

These trucks do break rods, but its more often caused by detonation than torque. High power engines increase chance for detonation without proper tuning and safety mods.

That said, a well built block is the safest way to turn up power. Its also the heart of your truck, and deserves not to be skimped on.

Also, without good suspension and tires, even trucks running stock boost have trouble connecting with pavement at times.

There are a lot of people here with a lot more experience than me who could help you with anything you could possibly want to do with your truck. Asking questions is really the only way to access that wealth of jnformation :)

·
Come down to Shadynasty's
1,569 Posts
Holy 10 yrs, 6 month, and 14 days bump

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Has to be a record or something for the oldest random thread bump. Lol
The last time that guy signed on was 2008!!

·
I like your avatar!
667 Posts
Hahaha, wow, read through the whole thing before I realized it was a 10 year old thread!

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Here's an indication. Its not a common feat with the stock block but kevmac isn't the one to do it.

And for the record...

threadrevive.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts