Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
700/800 Club
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought my built motor back to the house from storage and started work on prepping the truck to accept the power.

I'm doing everything here at the house and am sure I will have plenty of questions and need plenty of advice. Its been 10 years since my last Lightning.

Progress so far:
20201023_132404[1].jpg 20201104_123257[1].jpg 20201105_144218[1].jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Awesome! Good luck, im sure there's plenty of guys here willing to help. Im starting to collect parts for a build hopefully next year.

·
700/800 Club
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm starting to look at the suspension while everything is right in front of me.

Just wanting to level it out and drop it an inch or two. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Hotchkis TVS system or something else one might want to look at?

It will be a once in a while street truck with an occasional trip to the track.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,305 Posts
For your goals the hotchkis tvs is a wonderful setup. Make sure to get the shocks.

Reactions: Charco18

·
Registered
2 Posts
For your goals the hotchkis tvs is a wonderful setup. Make sure to get the shocks.
The Hotchkins TVS is truly a great setup, just takes a while to get it in when you order it. When I had mine installed it was night and day difference on the ride. The suspension is built for the lightning and make sure you get the shocks as well to complete the package. I highly recommend this suspension setup.

·
700/800 Club
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Hotchkins TVS is truly a great setup, just takes a while to get it in when you order it. When I had mine installed it was night and day difference on the ride. The suspension is built for the lightning and make sure you get the shocks as well to complete the package. I highly recommend this suspension setup.
Thanks gentlemen!!! I will go ahead and get this ordered.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,305 Posts
Here is a picture of mine with just the hotchkis on it before I lowered it more. I had the hotchkis on mine with some random ass shocks and my buddy had it on his with the hotchkis shocks and they were night and day difference. I have them on my truck now.

·
700/800 Club
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a picture of mine with just the hotchkis on it before I lowered it more. I had the hotchkis on mine with some random ass shocks and my buddy had it on his with the hotchkis shocks and they were night and day difference. I have them on my truck now.
Nice, that's what I'm looking for. Hits on driveway if I go any lower.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have Hotchkis on mine and its great. Last I checked the shocks were backordered and Hotchkis was unable to tell when they'd be back in stock. It was a vendor issue. I also have JLP shackles on mine and Im super happy with the stance.

·
700/800 Club
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have Hotchkis on mine and its great. Last I checked the shocks were backordered and Hotchkis was unable to tell when they'd be back in stock. It was a vendor issue. I also have JLP shackles on mine and Im super happy with the stance.
I'll start calling vendors and see what's available. Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'll start calling vendors and see what's available. Thanks!
If i remember correctly, the shocks are built by Bilstein. So although Hotchkis may not hhave hands on a set, you may want to reach out to Bilstein directly. I would call Hotchkis first. I put my TVS system on about a year ago so things could have changed by then. I do know the site didn't show they were backordered until I got the purchase order, so definitely give them a ring. You'll love the TVS kit!

·
700/800 Club
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If i remember correctly, the shocks are built by Bilstein. So although Hotchkis may not hhave hands on a set, you may want to reach out to Bilstein directly. I would call Hotchkis first. I put my TVS system on about a year ago so things could have changed by then. I do know the site didn't show they were backordered until I got the purchase order, so definitely give them a ring. You'll love the TVS kit!
I did see that the kit with the shocks on Hotchkis' website is on back order. Gonna check with Bilstein like you suggested.

Thanks!!

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,305 Posts
Summit has 1 front shock in stock lol

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,305 Posts
You could take the part numbers from hotchkis or summit and do some looking. Them buy the kit without shocks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The TVS is awesome. I ditched the front springs and went with Belltech shackles. Traded the slightly reduced turning radius for the better from end geometry.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,305 Posts
The TVS is awesome. I ditched the front springs and went with Belltech shackles. Traded the slightly reduced turning radius for the better from end geometry.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Depending on how you use the truck you also have up drag wheels.

·
700/800 Club
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ordered the TVS kit from Hotchkis yesterday.

Coil and Leaf springs were in stock and should ship right away.

Both sway bars are suppose to be ready in 3 - 4 weeks.

Shocks are discontinued and "updated version" should be available between January and March?

I still need to get in touch with Bilstein to see if they have the shocks.

Everything has been pressure washed, pulled off the trailer hitch drained the gas and am looking at the Evap canister delete.

20201109_145540[1].jpg

·
700/800 Club
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I've managed to make some progress on my build. Removed everything off the back half of the frame, did the Evap delete(very easy with the bed off) stripped the frame down, cleaned everything up, wiped it down then treated it with Loctite Rust Neutralizer and sprayed it with 3 coats of VHT Roll bar and Chassis paint(satin black).

Only received springs from the TVS kit so far. I installed the leaf's in the back and have the "front" passenger side torn down to the frame. Ready to prep and paint that then start replacing all of the front suspension parts (including lower control arms) and install the TVS coil springs.

Before 20201109_145527[1].jpg During 20201118_131841[1].jpg After 20201121_143024[1].jpg

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Looks great! keep us posted with how the project goes. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts