Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has been apart so long that I forgot where a wire went.

There are 4 wires to the starter area.

The far left wire is a ground that goes on a starter mounting bolt with a nut.

The second from left goes to the small stud on the solenoid for the key start signal.

The third wire goes to the large battery power terminal on the solenoid.

The far right wire is too long to go to the solenoid, or is it? Or is it a block ground. As there is a threaded pad above the pan rail.

It tests as a ground, but I am reluctant to connect it without knowing for certain.

Help....Miz

·
Registered
705 Posts
Almost 100% sure the far right is the main ground. The far left wire i really dont remember though..... and its up really far....

If you have an electical meter around test for continuity. Put the meter to the position that has 3 dashes that get smaller. Then touch one lead to the left wire and one to the battery ground. Do the same for the right wire, if they both beep from the meter they are both grounds.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jon: Yes, it tests to be a ground. But I just wanted a second opinion.

The far left is a ground also. It was nutted to the protruding end of a longer starter bolt.

I installed the driver's side long tube header first, thinking it would be the hardest one....wrong. The under side bolts were difficult, but the rest was about usual.

The right one will not feed up from the bottom as the left one did. It will duck down from the top half way but hits the AC receiver tank. I need to unclamp it and slide it up 2" to get clearance. Then if I need any more, I will have to loosen the motor mount and jack up the motor.

The right side has the starter. I needed to reroute the electric cables from the front and duck under the headers.

But they are a beautiful fit and are 1" above the trans pan bottom.

Thanks for the verification.

Miz

·
Registered
705 Posts
What kind of headers are you running?? I know my pacesetter headers on the passenger side will sometimes seem like it wont go in.... but then when i maneuver it just right it slips right into place.

Yea double check the wiring that runs up that side and make sure it is strapped up/zip tied really good so it won't come into contact with the headers!!

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,677 Posts
what headers?

as mentioned the pass side will go in through the wheel well, takes some twisting and turning but it'll pop in without undoing motor mounts and lifting the engine.

Also be careful on wiring. Unless somebody already messed with rerouting it, you shouldn't have to undo starter wiring to fit the headers in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts