Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guy's with stall's launch them?? (I forgot to ask JLP yesterday) Do you have to put it up to the stall speed (mine is 2400) and then launch or just roll into it from the start?? With my stall you don't even notice the shift's, then when I reach my desired speed I feel the converter lock. I assume that's normal? I haven't gone past 1/4-1/2 throttle yet, still breaking in the engine. Got 150 miles on it between today and about and hour yesterday, only 1250 to go!!
Thanks in advance,
Bryan

·
Registered
734 Posts
bglanden said:
How do you guy's with stall's launch them?? (I forgot to ask JLP yesterday) Do you have to put it up to the stall speed (mine is 2400) and then launch or just roll into it from the start??  With my stall you don't even notice the shift's, then when I reach my desired speed I feel the converter lock.  I assume that's normal?  I haven't gone past 1/4-1/2 throttle yet, still breaking in the engine.  Got 150 miles on it between today and about and hour yesterday, only 1250 to go!!
Thanks in advance,
Bryan
I have the Factory Tech 2600 stall. I guess it's really up to you and your truck. I have tried to stomp it out of the hole. I have also brake torqued it to 1800 then dump it off the line. I kind of change up depending how the track is hooking.

Suavy

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Suavy,
So it's pretty much the same as the stock, just depends on traction. With the stock converter I tried brake/stall and just launching from idle, didn't notice a difference.
Bryan

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
The few times I have had my truck down the track, I just had to roll into it as tarck prep was horible as we got there late in the day. I have a FTVB and a set of 4:10's as well. Once I got out the hole I had no shifting issues

·
Registered
734 Posts
99BlackBeast said:
The few times I have had my truck down the track, I just had to roll into it as tarck prep was horible as we got there late in the day. I have a FTVB and a set of 4:10's as well. Once I got out the hole I had no shifting issues
What kind of highway gas millage do you get with your 4:10's?

I always wanted a set but was scared of the gas milage.

Peace,

Suavy

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
I am going on a road trip today and will get back with you. I am getting around 12 in the city [smilie=eek4.gif]

·
Registered
426 Posts
The application behind a higher than stock stall converter is to get the motor into the max HP rpm as quick as is possible.  This tends to show a greater improvement in NA cars.  And especially one with a large cam.  Our Gen2s make so much torque down low that the gains are 1/2 at best what something like a stang, vette, Z28 would see.

Now,  if you can slightly preload the suspension/drivetrain to 700-800rpms and then stab it off the line? It won't get much better because you've shocked the tires/chassis to overcome the static state of things. Two areas to be aware of (assuming your getting traction). 1) This method is significantly harder to get repeatable RT.   It's VERY un-nerving to stage shallow and got WOT right as the 2nd yellow comes on. 2) There is a chance the rearend will react and bounce off the tires. This can result in a momentary spin and letting down of the front end. The result being that now energy is consumed by replanting the tires and raising the front.

If you can't do that because of traction problems? Then power braking it as high as you can and rolling into it as quickly as is possible and not spinning would be best.  Such is the case with almost all of us when running street radials.

Rich (2500 stall in my 02)

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Suavy said:
99BlackBeast said:
What kind of highway gas millage do you get with your 4:10's?

I always wanted a set but was scared of the gas milage.

Peace,

Suavy

I got an average of 16mpg on the hwy but I am getting around 12 in the city [smilie=eek4.gif]

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
bglanden said:
With my stall you don't even notice the shift's, then when I reach my desired speed I feel the converter lock.  I assume that's normal? 
Bryan
Bryan mine is the exact same way, it's like having a stick without the stick aint it :D
1st 2nd and 3rd rev up to 3500-4000 before shifting, and only drop @ 200 RPM between shifts, once I hit 50MPH in 3rd, mine is set to lock up and shift OD, (I'm going to move that to 60 though)
If I feather it (and I mean feather it, it will shift a little lower, maybe 2500-3500, but again only drop @ 200 RPM)

You can see a little of what I mean HERE

First your see it's locked up on the parkway, then a little fun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.