Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just purchased a 2001 L and as luck would have it I think she spit a plug last night. I'm wondering what options I have in terms of repairing it. I have not dug into it yet to ID which plug it spit out.

It's going to be a DD so I want it to be reliable. Am I looking at new heads? Heli Coil? I searched the forum but didn't find much...

Looking to minimize costs obviously but I want it done right the first time. I'm a total Mod motor newb :smt100

Thanks

-Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys, I just purchased a 2001 L and as luck would have it I think she spit a plug last night. I'm wondering what options I have in terms of repairing it. I have not dug into it yet to ID which plug it spit out.

It's going to be a DD so I want it to be reliable. Am I looking at new heads? Heli Coil? I searched the forum but didn't find much...

Looking to minimize costs obviously but I want it done right the first time. I'm a total Mod motor newb :smt100

Thanks

-Rob

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob, this is what I recommend to everyone.

http://www.locknstitch.com/sparkpluginserts.htm
Awesome! Looks like a great solution.

Will this act as a permanent reliable repair? I bought the truck for a good price knowing it had a heli coil repair already done to a plug. I'm pretty sure it spit out that same plug less than 3000 miles after it was done at a dealership by the previous owner.

I bought an L to enjoy all that power! Don't want to have to ***** foot it around in fear of this happening again :(

Thanks man,

Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Repost here if you wanna get more traffic looking at this and helping you out!

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I popped a plug out when i first bought my truck in 2003, had my mechanic put a insert in the head, also had him do the other 7 while he was at it, not one problem since!

-Adam
Thanks Adam!

Did you use something like this kit? http://www.locknstitch.com/sparkpluginserts.htm

Mind if I ask what it cost you to have done?

Greatly appreciated,

Rob

·
GoD GiVeN
1,972 Posts
Awesome! Looks like a great solution.

Will this act as a permanent reliable repair? I bought the truck for a good price knowing it had a heli coil repair already done to a plug. I'm pretty sure it spit out that same plug less than 3000 miles after it was done at a dealership by the previous owner.

I bought an L to enjoy all that power! Don't want to have to ***** foot it around in fear of this happening again :(

Thanks man,

Rob
If done correctly, it will be stronger than stock

-adam

·
My Hankooks Hate Me!
1,910 Posts
Same here... I ran my best time in sig on old motor with a insert in cyl #3.... I'll bet you that's the plug it spit... That's the most common!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

So previously it spit plug#8 and the previous owner had it helicoiled by a ford dealer. Last night it spit plug #2. So I definitely want to do all 8 for peace of mind.

Is this something I can do myself? I've done basic stuff in the past like manifold swaps, headers, exhaust etc but have no experience with these motors at all.

What's a fair price to pay to have this done?

Thanks fellas!

Rob

·
street truck
6,534 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!

So previously it spit plug#8 and the previous owner had it helicoiled by a ford dealer. Last night it spit plug #2. So I definitely want to do all 8 for peace of mind.

Is this something I can do myself? I've done basic stuff in the past like manifold swaps, headers, exhaust etc but have no experience with these motors at all.

What's a fair price to pay to have this done?

Thanks fellas!

Rob
At least you got an easy one to get to. If you wanta do a time-cert and don't want to buy a kit you can give me a deposit and I'll send ya my kit w/inserts and refund your deposit when you send it back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At least you got an easy one to get to. If you wanta do a time-cert and don't want to buy a kit you can give me a deposit and I'll send ya my kit w/inserts and refund your deposit when you send it back.
Thanks man! I appreciate the offer but I'm in Canada so it would be a pain with shipping and customs so I'll just buy the kit I think.

These repairs can be done with the heads on the truck still right?

I took it to a local stealership just for an estimate and they want a rediculous amount and I would have to sign a waiver. The dealer says that debris will enter the cylinders and could wreak some havoc!

Rob

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
You can do it on the truck, but you have to be extremely careful! For one, you'll have to make sure the piston isnt at top dead center (so you dont hit it with the tools). Pack the tools with grease and only give them a few turns, cleaning the tool and repacking with grease often. The grease will catch the shavings in the voids of the tool. I did both my inserts this way and have had no issues.

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,768 Posts
Yeah, I would have to assume it is a real pain in the azz to do with the heads on in the truck.

·
GoD GiVeN
1,972 Posts
Hey Adam,

Do you remember if it was done with the heads still on the truck?

-Rob
Yup, he did them while still in the truck, took him 2-3 days to do it, he def took his time to make sure he didnt drop any shavings inside the cylinder, my buddy also had to modify one of his tools to do the back passanger plug hole, but like i said, he did this back in 03 with low miles on the truck, i have 123K on the truck now and never have ever had a problem with plugs again...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.