Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
think you can or can't, youre right
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, long time no see, I've been busy moving and settling into our new place in California. Anyways, I was driving around a bit and while cruising, lost a cylinder. So I drove home (2 miles) nice and easy, get home and start pulling plugs. I get to the third one back on the passenger side and I can unscrew it all the way, but it will not come out! I can thread it all the way back in and torque it down. It just refuses to be removed from the cylinder. I can free spin the socket/extension by hand 200 times and it will not be loose enough to be pulled out. I am using a "spark plug socket" with grommet, but it acts like something is holding the electrode or something. I've taken off the s/c and fuel rail and grabbed the spark plug with a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled a good 15-20lbs of pulling force on it and it just slides off the metal tip of the spark plug once I exert more force...I'm stuck, been like this for a month now!

Here is a vid of what I'm dealing with. Any helpful info would be much-appreciated! (ps I know the music in the background isn't cool, just had a radio station on LOL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JYm-GIUmuM
Thanks
-Joshua

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts
damn...This is a new one on me. Maybe a crossthread on the very last head insert????

·
Undisputed Re-Post Master
14,354 Posts
easy fix.
Happened to me.

you need either a super tiny magnet on the end of a rod, to get out the bolt or washer, or if its not magnetic, then you need one of those small grabber tools.

you could also try something sticky on the end of a rod, but then you chance the sticky shit getting stuck down there.

I must have spent an hour wondering wtf, why wont this spark plug ever come out, it just kept turning and turning.

turns out there was a small plastic piece that had fallen down in there... Prevented the socket from fully seating on the plug. It felt like it seated, felt like it turned... but it really wasnt.

Didnt know you were in Cali now. Good to see ya again Joshua.

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,398 Posts
Can you unscrew the tip of the plug and maybe thread on a nut so you have a better grip? I'm also thinking it's something wedged in the bottom... or maybe s spark plug insert that split and is somehow snagging the plug.

·
think you can or can't, youre right
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately there is nothing wedged in the sides of the plug. I have a small mirror that is on an extendable rod and it is clear when I scope it out with that mirror and a flashlight. Might have damaged itself in the head...this would make sense seeing that it stopped firing this cylinder and that is what brought it to my attention...damnit, literally just paid this thing off a few days ago too...

·
Johnny Law
17,766 Posts
I had a misfire on cyl 8 (driver side all the way back) I went to take the plug out and had a similar issue like what Shaggy said, I kept turning the plug but it never came out, turns out that a tiny pebble got wedged down their so the cop wasnt making full contact with the plug. I also could not get it out with pliers, grab tool, sticky take on the end of a rod etc. Finally got the pebble out with a shop vac, inspected plug and put it all back together. Truck has been running fine since.

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,119 Posts
Using a small impact wrench, spark plug socket and some penatrating oil should help remove it.

The impact will get the plug moving fast enough to get rid of any build up on the tip of the plug. Just make small fast bursts with the impact.

We have to use impacts on the 3 valve motors.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
17 Participants
MacGyversMullet
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing