Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay as some of you know im in the market for a lightning and i heard that this was a common problem the spark plugs shooting out of the head wanted to know what the average cost would be to fix it casue this would be my dd and i cant afford to have the car down for years thanks and if anyone has had the experience please can you give me a little story about wat happened and how u fixed it. thanks and also were there any years that they fixed the problem

Thanks Joe C:rockon_ford
________
Infant prilosec

·
Guilty by Association
19,345 Posts
03-04 had 8 thread heads that helped this problem a lot. Price to fix this issue depends a bit on you, are you mechanically inclined? or would you be having a shop do all your work? I personally do all my maintenance and repairs. Lock and stitch is the only authorized repair for the heads that pop a plug and are a bit expensive, but apparently not too bad to do. I have no experience with them though. Just make sure you torque your plugs properly and check them often to help prevent a blowout in the firstplace

·
Undisputed Re-Post Master
14,354 Posts
03-04 had 8 thread heads that helped this problem a lot. Price to fix this issue depends a bit on you, are you mechanically inclined? or would you be having a shop do all your work? I personally do all my maintenance and repairs. Lock and stitch is the only authorized repair for the heads that pop a plug and are a bit expensive, but apparently not too bad to do. I have no experience with them though. Just make sure you torque your plugs properly and check them often to help prevent a blowout in the firstplace
Perfect Advise. :rockon_ford

Or you can always get an aftermarket set of heads, thats another option.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Just keep them tight, 13 ft. lb. is the spec, and they will stay just fine...I know it is a bitch to work with them, but it doesn't hurt to check them occasionally even with 8 thread heads.

·
Carpe diem
10,810 Posts
theyll blow out on 8 thread heads too just keep them tight and check ocasionaly and youll be fine

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm getting ready to attempt a Time-Sert repair on the #2 cylinder pass. side. I'm pretty sure the Time Sert is also Ford approved. I bought a kit from a fellow Lightning owner on this site and paid $200, which is a great deal!!
Happened to me while on the highway...started hearing a loud popping sound (very distinct) and immediately pulled over. After a quick look under the hood, I knew exactly what had happened.
I'm sure it was my fault for the L spitting a plug. Last plug change was in late '04 and I didn't even bother to check them once since. I hope to get her running again in the spring since I know have a temporary replacement daily driver.

·
Undisputed Re-Post Master
14,354 Posts
I'm getting ready to attempt a Time-Sert repair on the #2 cylinder pass. side. I'm pretty sure the Time Sert is also Ford approved. I bought a kit from a fellow Lightning owner on this site and paid $200, which is a great deal!!
Happened to me while on the highway...started hearing a loud popping sound (very distinct) and immediately pulled over. After a quick look under the hood, I knew exactly what had happened.
I'm sure it was my fault for the L spitting a plug. Last plug change was in late '04 and I didn't even bother to check them once since. I hope to get her running again in the spring since I know have a temporary replacement daily driver.

Many have used Time sert and have great results.
But I'm pretty sure Fords Offical view is still only Lock and stitch.

·
Vendor
4,138 Posts
Popular hole. check on the depth of the time sert you use, they come in 3 lengths, I'm not sure which is the best length for us, but you don't want it sticking down to far
+1

Ive never had threads come out on me while driving, but I've always tightened the mess out of them.

Finally after about 4 years and 100 or so plug changes and tightening the dog crap out of them I pulled the threads out of the head on 2 spark plug holes while changing plugs.

I bought the tap/reamer tool from auto zone, ground down the head so I could get a smaller socket on it, beat a socket on the end so it won't come off coated it with grease and proceed to chase the old threads ream them out and cut new threads (one tool does it all), I took my time and used a shop vac with a 12" long small 1/4 hose taped in the end to pick up the shavings that were stuck in the grease or stuck in the hole each time I pulled the tap out to clean it and re-grease it.

You can go to Oriley's and get a set of threads that fit our plugs and work with that tap that are all aluminum and they come with a tool to smash them with (Be careful because they also have steel ones that look the same but are not, you may need to ask them, they got them from the back for me.)

While your there buy 1 (just 1) plug that is the same length/thread Pitch as our stock plugs but has a flat seat with a washer instead of the tapered seat. Put the insert on the washer style plug with some anti-seize, put some High Temp locktite on the outside, run the plug down the hole till its tight, quickly pop the plug loose so that the insert stays in the head, use the flare to taper smash the insert into the head, anti-seize your new factory style tapered plug and tighten it up. Done

The Plug with the washer will set the insert to the right location and will come out easier, I found this out by testing on a spare set of heads I had sitting in my shed. It works perfectly.

Whole project took me about an hour and cost around 20$, I laugh about all the "I shot a plug what do I do threads now" because their honestly comical. The price a dealer charges for this and their stupid tool kit is RAPE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
DolSVT00
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing