Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you safely remove the round grey plastic clips around the rear of the cabin that hold the interior panels in place? Things like this can hold you up and be frustrating as neck!
Thanks for any tips.
Ken

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
2,989 Posts
Hey Ken,

I just use the generic panel pry bars to help remove interior pins. The smaller ones you push the center in and it'll release the pin.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bruce, thanks for the input... Yeah, I tried both methods. Maybe I just need to go ahead and be more forceful. If some break, I'm sure Ford Parts department has them for $10-12 each. Hahaha!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow... these things are an incredible pain in the ass. I'm stuck. I'm going to have to go to an auto body shop or find someone who can bail me out. I'm buggering up the panels trying to get these POS plugs out :(

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG... so the trick is to push the center pins ONLY about 1/8 to 3/16" in... if you go beyond that, you virtually lock the buggers in place! I hate interior stuff...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
OMG... so the trick is to push the center pins ONLY about 1/8 to 3/16" in... if you go beyond that, you virtually lock the buggers in place! I hate interior stuff...
Correct. You get it all done? If you need a hand let me know and I'll see about heading your way.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did get it completed and back together. I buggered up a couple of the plugs, so I ordered a pack of new ones. The sound is a bit better. I'm wondering what else might help. Do people ever do any kind of coating on the back and exterior floor of the cab, like bed-liner material? Just wondering...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I did get it completed and back together. I buggered up a couple of the plugs, so I ordered a pack of new ones. The sound is a bit better. I'm wondering what else might help. Do people ever do any kind of coating on the back and exterior floor of the cab, like bed-liner material? Just wondering...
I'm not sure what all you have done now. I removed the interior from my truck years ago and installed RAAM foam matting to the roof, floor pan, back wall and doors. It helped to reduce the interior cab noise from the exhaust and road considerably. I may do it again adding an additional layer but when you add to the back wall you will have to add extensions to those wall screws so that you can get the panels back on. I use this site Ford Automotive Retainer Clips and Fasteners to reference parts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Here is the part # 93655A706 that I am referring to in my post above. Took me a minute to remember where I had it saved.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the part # 93655A706 that I am referring to in my post above. Took me a minute to remember where I had it saved.

Bruce, thanks so much for offering all of this information, and for offering to drive up! I can't find those clips with that reference number; maybe something has changed? I can check at the old-school parts store near me; they have all of this type of stuff, or can get it!
I may add the RAAM matting that you mention. My sound has improved, but not as much as I would like. I need to do the doors first, then I'll look into the matting.
THanks again!
Ken

Reactions: Boss Hoss

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
M
Screenshot_20201203-184237_Chrome.jpg
cMaster-Carr. It is a Male-Female Threaded Hex Standoff, 18-8 Stainless Steel, 6mm Hex size, 10mm length (the female portion) the male portion is listed as 9.5mm, M4 thread size. Part# 93655A706

1 - 13 of 13 Posts