Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Wanted to say this is a great site (thanks Chris). I'm soon to be a new owner of a True Blue 02. If everything goes according to plan, I'm going to go pick it up on Thursday. [smilie=fingersx.gif] Will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to upload it.

The truck will be my daily driver so I don't want to go crazy with the mods. What do you guys suggest for first mods? I keep seeing people talk about a FTVB. Is it really necessary and is it hard to install? The truck doesn't have a bed cover or liner. Where should I get a hard cover from? I remember hearing about Linex bed liner way back when. What do you think? What else would you do?

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
WELCOME RAY  [smilie=wavey.gif]

CONGRATS  ON THE LIGHTNING, YOUR GOING TO LOVE IT :smt023

BTW
Chris Who ???
I run the joint  :D

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
WELCOME RAY  [smilie=wavey.gif]

CONGRATS  ON THE LIGHTNING, YOUR GOING TO LOVE IT :smt023

BTW
Chris Who ???
I run the joint  :D
Welcome Ray, ohhh and BTW the only joint Rob runs is the one in his hand moving to his pie hole :smt033

LOL

Gregg's FTVB is the shizzle! I would do it!

I have linex on my L and LOOOOOVVVVEEEEE IT!

-Chris

·
Registered
367 Posts
Daily driver??? Mine is a daily driver and i get 15.85 miles to the gallon to boot. I only have a couple of things done to mine but I can still get 8.0 is the 1/8 we only have one 1320 here and I will have a a new 1320 time by the end of April.

Oh yea you will enjoy it but I bet you that you spend more in mods in one year than you spend on beer or smoke. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Since I don't drink or smoke it'll be easy for me to spend the money for mods. :LOL The gas mileage isn't a big deal for me really. I drive my 473rwhp stang around as my daily driver. It's time to retire that and get the truck I've been wanting since it came out in 98 (model year 99). I plan to set up the stang for road racing and use the truck to tow every once in a while. I could never keep a car stock so the L won't be any different. I do however need it to be reliable so won't go crazy.

How do I upload pics here? I know I know....newbie question.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
SEE WHERE THE HELL IS CHRIS NOW WHEN YOU NEED HIM :LOL

Go here http://www.lightningrodder.com/

on the left 2nd catogory you'll see this

Main Menu
Home
News
Links
Contact Us
Search
Forum
Photo Gallery
Sound/Video Clips

Click on Photo Gallery and pick a User Name and PW
Yes you have to have a 2nd account, BUT its free and takes all of 20 seconds to set up
YES you can use the same User Name and PW

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
ray-95 said:
Thanks all. Since I don't drink or smoke it'll be easy for me to spend the money for mods. :LOL The gas mileage isn't a big deal for me really. I drive my 473rwhp stang around as my daily driver. It's time to retire that and get the truck I've been wanting since it came out in 98 (model year 99). I plan to set up the stang for road racing and use the truck to tow every once in a while. I could never keep a car stock so the L won't be any different. I do however need it to be reliable so won't go crazy.

How do I upload pics here? I know I know....newbie question.
Rob's instructions are for our photo gallery... if you want to upload pics to the forum as attachments do this...

In the post msg screen (the one where you post up a message on the forum) look for a text link that says "Additional Options" click on that link and and a slew of options will appear and especially one that will say "Attach". Look for an icon that spells out "Browse" click that, navigate to the pic you wish to upload and VIOLA! Also if you want to ADD more than one pic look for the "more attachments" text link directly to the right of the "Browse" icon!

If you need more help let me know!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome Ray-95, I am generally more concerned with longevity myself. If I could recommend changes for your truck to see 150K miles but yet step up the performance here is what I'd suggest:

For a daily driver that'll see occasional towing duties and just some avg spirited driving....

4# lower pulley w/caged carrier. (it's unpopular but you'll want that extra bearing to help keep the front main bearing from taking all the blower belt load)
FRPP 1"-3" drop kit (front springs and rear shackles)
Shorten the end links a inch or two. (front and rear)
Large 12" conical filter w/a outer wear prefilter (CAI isn't really needed)
FTVB
cal-trac traction bars (newer design) ((do this at the same time as the FTVB to prevent excessive axle wrap))
Aftercat exhaust (only if you want more noise.. cause it's not gonna help performance at your level of power)
Better speakers and a amp. (I'm not big into sound systems. But these things are pretty crappy from the factory IMO)
And most importantly a single program chip that's suited for how your gonna use it. Important things you'll want to tell the tuner is:
1) leave the torque reduction *on*. (you'll notice a "farting sound" when at wot and the truck shifts from 1st to 2nd)
2) You want to be able to tow your race car anyplace any time any weather on 93 octane fuel
3) You'd be safe in raising the shift points up to about 5400rpms
4) leave the tranny shift firmness as stock (when using the FTVB)

I think these mods would get you into a high 12 on a cold day and yet maintain perfect driveability w/worry free towing.

Rich

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm picking the truck up in Colorado and driving it back to California (bay area). I need to knock on wood....don't want to jinx anything. So is there anything I should do before I leave for home from CO? I don't know if I'll be able to get a bra for it before I get there. :sad:

Thanks Rich that is exactly what I'm looking for!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just the normal stuff before driving it back home. Fluids & tire pressure.

Once you get it home check that the spark plugs are torqued properly. If the original owner never checked or changed them there is a possibility they can be not torqued enough. This issue has been called "spitting plugs" on most of the boards.

Enjoy and be aware... you just might have a permenate smile when you get back home. :D

Rich

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yea Chill he is in the Blue house know but you are in the stepple of that particular house and he is in the entry. But everyone goes through the entry. Oh by the way nice Roll Bars can you please post up some close up pics of the install I am going to have to do it before L Fest but not sure if I want to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been trying to add photos as I get them, so check the Gallery under Chillfactor"s Blue and see if you need any other angles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got back from picking up my new L in Colorado. I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!! Damn that was a long drive but it was fun. The truck just wants to go. It was sooo easy to drive 100+ in the middle of the dessert. But now my truck is covered in bugs. :sad: I have to clean it before I take any pics.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Congrats on the truck Ray!!!

Great color too (mine's True Blue Too WooHoo)

According to Avalance's scale - I'm on the staircase in the House of Blue. Your gonna love it and the "I'm only gonna mod it a little bit" will wear off soon!

Herb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.