Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I think I might know what is going on but I wanted to put out a feeler to see if anyone could figure out what is happening.

Basically, I have a 2001Lightning, it rides horribly. I replaced the shocks (as 1 was completely broken in half), but it bottoms out going over any significant bump. The block is around 1 - 1.5" from the axle (below)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

There is a 2" drop shackle on it currently. I've been told that by a friend that the leafs look to have been heated something as it is quite low. (I'm new to lightnings and I'm trying to get myself out of this set up. Not sure what is missing or was messed with to begin with.

I appreciate any and all help

·
regular joe
2002 True Blue
1,627 Posts
That is a huge bump stop. That might be your problem. Cant really tell anything else wo pocs of leafs and hangers

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Reactions: stoffer

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,044 Posts
Like the guys above said…bump stops and the shocks don’t have enough travel.

·
Registered
876 Posts
When lowering you must change the rear shocks and bump stops. Otherwise the ride in back will feel like a pogo stick. The Beltech items work well.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Just like everyone else has posted, post a couple more pictures like side view of the truck and front hangers and rear shackle areas. Most people don't even know if front hangers were ever added.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to take some more pictures tonight and post them here.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

·
Registered
250 Posts
reading your post and lookin' at your pic it appears you spent a buck or two on those blue n yellow shocks..
IF your truck has been lowered and you bought standard stock length shocks you'll likely be glad to know you can (somewhere) get a couple of add on brackets that lower the rear shock mount on the axle .. permitting standard length shocks to work on a lowered truck..probably the cheap route around this issue ..knowing blue n yellow shocks usually aren't cheap..

·
Registered
400 Posts
Shocks definitely look fully compressed with little or no downward travel left.

Bump stops also restricting travel but should not all the time with that spacing, unless the leaf spring has had leafs removed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Asphalt Bumper

looking at the bumpstop clearance.. I have a couple of things to say you probably won't like..

THAT ^ looks like my truck when I did the 4 inch rear drop..with hangers and shackles..
after a day of installing the hangers & shackles I drove home pogo stick style with the original long shocks in the truck .. the shorter shocks went in the next day..and yep .. rode like poo for those two trips..

..and, it still rode pretty hard hitting the bumpstops.. for a while until the rubber got "tenderized"

80 000 odd KM's later .. I can say without doubt.. I shoulda done the frame notch kit too...

before I lowered my truck .. I had it pretty well overloaded one night with a rip out of a bathroom .. ceramic tile/drywal.. etc..
I stoped and filled the gas tank..this was a mistake as when the truck was unloaded .. the driver's side sat low

it "kinda came back" over time and I'd forgotten all about it when I lowered it a few years later

somewhere along the way the middle leaf of the driver's side spring broke.. and the section from the axle back .. dissapeared
so , now 80 000 odd km's later.. my driver's side bumpstop points sideways .. inboard as the bottom of the frame has been pounded soooo badly .. it looks like a giant crushed in in his hand..
I have to do the notch kit now.. to eliminate both the crushed section over the axle as well as the two inch crack in my frame (been this way 3-4 years)
and,
on the side with the good spring .. the passenger side.. the frame is bent a little.. the bumpstop no longer points straight down..but it's no where as bad as the driver's side

I have the notch kit and a new pair of springs rated 500 pounds stronger than the old ones .. hopefully they carry the ride weight of the truck better..
but .. I'll also be using the 3 inch drop position on the shackles instead of the 4..

I'd strongly suggest you look at your shackles.. if there are two bolt locations at the top.. and the spring is using that upper set of holes.. take it apart and use the lower bolt holes .. lift the truck back up an inch .. at least for now until this gets resolved..and before you drive it as far as I did..

·
Registered
250 Posts
pardon the rust on my daily rust belt Toronto truck
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Gas Event
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

pic doesn't really show the twisted bumpstop as well as it could .. but it's mangled pretty badly

·
Registered
250 Posts
lol ..only part of it..

for the knowledge I'll share .. it really likes highway ramps that curve to the right .. thinking 4 wheel steering is a happening thing..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts