Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the front off the MP today. Green coupler is intact. However, the part with the three pins on it that the coupler fits on, on the back end of the snout shaft, spins freely. Turn the upper pulley, the three pin part doesn't turn if held. Turn the three pin part, the pulley doesn't turn. Is this a welded part? Press fit? WTF? The rotors turn freely, no binding whatsoever. Why would this part break?

Note the difference in the gap between the three pin part and the tail end of the shaft in the two pictures. It's totally free turning, feels like it's on bearings. Weird.

I'm assuming I need to remove the upper pulley, and remove the entire shaft. Then send it to Magnum Powers to be fixed? Can't use an Eaton shaft, too long.

Attachments

·
local painter
2,444 Posts
Damn Rob. Did it at least daylight a front tire before it broke 😳

·
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to remove the shaft today. But I'm not so sure it can be pressed back on. It moves up and down and round and round. Seing that it does this, exactly where is it going to grip?

·
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not that I could hear. With windows down and traffic all around, not very easy to hear something like that. If it did, it wasn't loud.

·
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was looking at it, and to press fit that piece back on, don't see why it can't be done in place. The front pulley is flush with the front of the shaft. Should be able to press it back on in situ. Already took a large socket and a heavy hammer and fit it back on pretty good. Put the pulley on the ground, put large socket over the three pins and hit it several times with a heavy mallet. But I don't know that I'll trust it. Probably come loose again. Will take to work one day this week, have a press there, and work on it at lunch, see if I can get it on a little further.

·
Registered
603 Posts
A press is the way to go, a hammer works much better for removing than tightening. The shock of each blow causes a rebound with metal. A good steady pressure with the press will get it tighter, and does have have the shock wave.

·
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The hammer was just to see if it would at least appear to fix the problem. As I said, have a press at work. Also have a very large vise which would work handily. Fit that large socket over the three pins, put it in the vise with the pulley on one side, socket on the other, close vise. May not happen today though. Want to ride my bikes the first of the week, while the weather is great. End of week is rain, so driving the old Ranger. Will take it then, not a prriority.

Honestly, after I fix it, I expect it will come loose again soon. I don't know what combination of circumstances caused it to come loose in the first place. I haven't been driving it hard, just cruising with a few romps into the 4 to 6 pound range boost wise.

Blower was rebuilt by Jokerz. Is it possible he failed to properly press it on during the snout rebuild? Because honestly, if it came loose once, it'll do so again.

·
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Decided to bring it to work today and see what I can do with it. Brought a 36 mm socket, which fits perfectly around the three pins. Put a piece of .25 steel against the pulley, put the socket around the pins, closed the vise. Then got a "cheater" bar, and really cranked down on that vise. Heard something kind of make a "pop" sound. Took it back out, and yes, it had moved down a little further than the hammer routine. Tried a few more tiimes, but couldn't get it to go down any further. I know there's a shoulder it fits up against. Hopefully that's why it will not go further.

Guess I'll go ahead and reassemble it tomorrow. Got to go get some of that over-priced GM blower oil. I know some here run just regular old synthetic oil in their blowers. What kind is recommended and weight?

Hopefully it stays put. If not, guess I'll end up seeing if I can get a new snout shaft from Magnum Powers.

·
Pilsung
306 Posts
Decided to bring it to work today and see what I can do with it. Brought a 36 mm socket, which fits perfectly around the three pins. Put a piece of .25 steel against the pulley, put the socket around the pins, closed the vise. Then got a "cheater" bar, and really cranked down on that vise. Heard something kind of make a "pop" sound. Took it back out, and yes, it had moved down a little further than the hammer routine. Tried a few more tiimes, but couldn't get it to go down any further. I know there's a shoulder it fits up against. Hopefully that's why it ill not go further.

Guess I'll go ahead and reassemble it tomorrow. Got to go get some of that over-priced GM blower oil. I know some here run just regular old synthetic oil in their blowers. What kind is recommended and weight?
I use Redline Race 50w synthetic.
I have heard of Mobile 1 15w50 used as well. The GM stuff might be cheapest..

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,536 Posts
Decided to bring it to work today and see what I can do with it. Brought a 36 mm socket, which fits perfectly around the three pins. Put a piece of .25 steel against the pulley, put the socket around the pins, closed the vise. Then got a "cheater" bar, and really cranked down on that vise. Heard something kind of make a "pop" sound. Took it back out, and yes, it had moved down a little further than the hammer routine. Tried a few more tiimes, but couldn't get it to go down any further. I know there's a shoulder it fits up against. Hopefully that's why it will not go further.

Hopefully it stays put. If not, guess I'll end up seeing if I can get a new snout shaft from Magnum Powers.
you have a manual tensioner with the cogs?

·
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you have a manual tensioner with the cogs?
Same exact stuff I had with the Eaton. I've had the manual tensioner since 2015. I don't over-tighten the belt. Based on grabbing the belt between pulleys and twisting it, I don't run the belt any tighter than the stock spring tensioner.

·
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I fixed it best I know how. I'll put it back on tomorrow and see what transpires. If it happens to come loose again (likely), then it goes to MP. Removing the snout isn't a big deal. Removing that cog pulley on the front? That f*cker took four wrenches on my LFP tool to install (two wrenches ganged up on each part of the tool to get the necessary leverage). Real PITA. F*ckin tight. Don't really want to hassle taking it back off unless absolutely necessary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
8 Participants
cbxer55
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing