Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the new batch of Sportmachines hitting hubs near you, I though it would be a good time to start a Show Us Your Wheels thread.

I got mine earlier this week. I went with 275/40 tires, may go with 295s next time around. I was concerned that the ride might be a little stiffer with the larger wheel and lower sidewall, but nope... it's negligible. The truck feels more nimble and responsive now. Overall I'm really happy with the look (though I may bump the rears out with a 1/2" spacer). As others have said, it seems like this is the size wheel Ford should/could have installed from the factory!

Big 'kudos' to the folks who made and marketed these wheels!

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Looks real good!! Someday, a set are on my list...

·
Registered
377 Posts
These look great on your red truck.

It's unfortunate that the larger diameter accentuates the inboard offset on the rears. That's always kept me from getting them, because it looks less muscular from certain angles. Dealing with spacers and/or longer studs is a PIA.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Truck looks great, Ken. My rears are at Eric Vaughn as of yesterday. Even though he stopped taking new wheels after Fathers' Day, he was accommodating since I'd been talking to him for months and explained the delay. I'll be happy if I get my wheels by the Fall.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been loving mine from the first batch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's an awesome look! Tell me, did you push the rears out a bit, or are they widened? (It looks like they are)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These look great on your red truck.

It's unfortunate that the larger diameter accentuates the inboard offset on the rears. That's always kept me from getting them, because it looks less muscular from certain angles. Dealing with spacers and/or longer studs is a PIA.
You are absolutely right, on both accounts... I was surprised how the larger diameter made the rear inset look more obvious. And yes, it's just from certain angles, but it's there. The front looks great, but the rear looks really different now... less aggressive.

Going into this, I didn't think that widening the rears would be a priority. I wanted to stay with the same size tire front and rear, so I could at least rotate them front to back. But seeing it on the ground, widening the rear stance has become my next concern (obsession?).

I guess if I do go wider, I could always just 'flip' the tires half way through their life... I've been doing that on my BMW for years, with the staggered Hartge wheels it has.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
9,532 Posts
I've been running staggered tires on both my Ranger and Lightning for years. I have a friend who does tires, once a year I take the front tires off one of the trucks, throw them in the bed of the other, take them to my friends shop and have them flip the tires inside out. Do both trucks once a year. Also don't run really pricey tires on the front. My Lightning has Fusion Touring 225/60-18 on seven inch rims. Costed $170 for both installed. Rears are rather pricey Nitto NT555R in 305/45-18.

As to the 20 inch rims, don't like the tire selection. 18's are bad enough. Have a line on a set of Centerline Qualifiers in 17 x 11 rear, 17 x 7 front. May have them next week.

The difference between Ken Mitchell's L, and Jblot's, at the rear wheels is amazing. Jblot's look close to perfection. KM's look like they're tucked under a mile. On the driver's side at least. Bet the passenger side looks good though. Typical for these trucks, and the reason I have a panhard bar on mine, to push the axle over toward the driver's side enough to make them the same on both sides. The axle moves easily, and it doesn't take much to balance them out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CB, part of my situation is that I got 275s front and rear. I bet the black truck is running 295s.

But... I do have a panhard bar, still in the box. This may finally motivate me to install it!

Also, I just ordered a set of 1/2" spacers and longer studs. Not sure what level of PITA those will be to install (?), but it should put the rear wheels just about where I'd like to see them.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Truck looks great, Ken. My rears are at Eric Vaughn as of yesterday. Even though he stopped taking new wheels after Fathers' Day, he was accommodating since I'd been talking to him for months and explained the delay. I'll be happy if I get my wheels by the Fall.
Got mine (three of the first batch of SportMachine 20" and three OEM 18") shipped off to him a few weeks ago. Also spoke to him a few months ago and realized he wasn't going to be widening wheels anymore.

I'm in no hurry to get mine back and will likely run either 305's or 315's on the back with a small spacer (1/4" or 3/8") to push them out to the wheel lip.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
9,532 Posts
CB, part of my situation is that I got 275s front and rear. I bet the black truck is running 295s.

But... I do have a panhard bar, still in the box. This may finally motivate me to install it!

Also, I just ordered a set of 1/2" spacers and longer studs. Not sure what level of PITA those will be to install (?), but it should put the rear wheels just about where I'd like to see them.
If the panhard bar you have is from BroncoBeater, it's not difficult to install, nor time consuming. I have 5/16 spacers on mine with the stock studs, been that way for quite some time now. Still plenty of thread engagement. But 1/2 should be better.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts