Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for all, while driving around the 40mph mark and rpms are around 1,200 or so when I give it some gas around that range I feel like the truck is struggling/choking! Has anyone else experience this symptom? What's the problem and fix

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is it possible the truck shifted into OD and it's not downshifting right away? Or, it could be a miss. Sometimes a miss will show up when a load is placed on the truck at lower speeds. You need to elaborate a little more on "shudder". Does it do it at higher rpms as well?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible the truck shifted into OD and it's not downshifting right away? Or, it could be a miss. Sometimes a miss will show up when a load is placed on the truck at lower speeds. You need to elaborate a little more on "shudder". Does it do it at higher rpms as well?
Sorry on the poor discription, but also to Throw in some more info when going on the freeway and I Am on it shifts quickly into 4th, and acts the same I'll try to get some video on it!

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Faulty DPFE sensors cause a shudder under certain low load conditions.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What about a dirty or faulty egr valve? I had similar symptoms on my old 94 lightning. I capped the vacuum line running to the egr valve and no more shutter. Ran smooth again. Do u get a check engine light?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about a dirty or faulty egr valve? I had similar symptoms on my old 94 lightning. I capped the vacuum line running to the egr valve and no more shutter. Ran smooth again. Do u get a check engine light?

No check engine light, new plugs last week cleaned TB cleaned MAF new air filter new oil change Tranny fluid looks good

·
Registered
689 Posts
Had the same thing and it was a vac leak on intake tube rubber gasket at the throttle body!

·
10,556 Posts
Wouldn't it throw a CEL ON?
No.

...new plugs last week cleaned TB cleaned MAF new air filter new oil change Tranny fluid looks good
This is kind of important information to include in your original post since the issue could be related to the servicing. Double check all vacuum lines, etc.

Worth noting since I mentioned the DPFE sensor previously... the DPFE sensor has an electrical connection and high and low references from the EGR tube. If you cross the high/low references for the DPFE it will not operate properly.

Pull the reference lines off the DPFE sensor and the EGR tube. You'll notice that one line is a larger ID than the other. Look at the ports on the DPFE and the EGR tube and you'll notice one port is larger than the other. Make sure the rubber lines are installed so the larger line goes on the big ports and the smaller ID line goes on the smaller ports.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No.

This is kind of important information to include in your original post since the issue could be related to the servicing. Double check all vacuum lines, etc.

Worth noting since I mentioned the DPFE sensor previously... the DPFE sensor has an electrical connection and high and low references from the EGR tube. If you cross the high/low references for the DPFE it will not operate properly.

Pull the reference lines off the DPFE sensor and the EGR tube. You'll notice that one line is a larger ID than the other. Look at the ports on the DPFE and the EGR tube and you'll notice one port is larger than the other. Make sure the rubber lines are installed so the larger line goes on the big ports and the smaller ID line goes on the smaller ports.

Gotcha I'll check all those out

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's hard to capture it on my phone to much wind noise

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok quick update from what I have learned, according to some truck guys they say it's a converter lock up, not sure if that's true, but if it is can that be fixed or is this normal

·
10,556 Posts
Converter lock-up is normal, but I wouldn't exactly describe it as a studder. Also, converter lock-up would have been present since the day you started driving the truck. Is this the case or is your studder a recent development. To me converter lock-up feels like the trans has shifted into another gear... a little bump and the RPMs settle a bit.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Converter lock-up is normal, but I wouldn't exactly describe it as a studder. Also, converter lock-up would have been present since the day you started driving the truck. Is this the case or is your studder a recent development. To me converter lock-up feels like the trans has shifted into another gear... a little bump and the RPMs settle a bit.

Yeah sorry for the piss poor description on this,but yes this has been around for awhile but I guess now that I drive more on streets I see it, kicks into next gear quickly, is there a fix for this

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yeah sorry for the piss poor description on this,but yes this has been around for awhile but I guess now that I drive more on streets I see it, kicks into next gear quickly, is there a fix for this

Either have your tuner adjust your converter lock up speed or drive with your OD off until you get to a higher speed.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Either have your tuner adjust your converter lock up speed or drive with your OD off until you get to a higher speed.
Yeah Its still a tune Virgin nobody has touched it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts