Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a guy in Colorado that seemed pretty interested in the truck and he actually made an offer that was very close to where my bottom line was. But the guy is working 7 days a week for the foreseeable future so there was no chance he's flying out and drive it back cross country. He looked into shipping it and said that was just too expensive, and I understand adding that to the cost of the truck might give you second thoughts. I had ball-parked it at $1500-$2000 and I have no idea who he checked with. I've never paid to ship a vehicle cross country... are there any alternatives or reasonable ways to go?

We were only $1500 apart and I had offered to split the difference there... but maybe he wasn't really ready to pull the trigger. Bottom line he called tonight and said because of the shipping he'd have to pass.

Be interesting to hear what others have done on long-distance buy/sell situations.

Mike

· Godspeed
75 Posts
When I was searching for my Lightning, I knew shipping charges would be a must if I found one out of state. I immediately factored that into my upfront costs before I even attempted to talk pricing with the dealer, so that honestly shouldnt stop someone from purchasing the vehicle if they were truly ready to buy......especially if you were THAT close on pricing.

Trucking my Lightning from Massachusetts to Texas was $1250. I couldn't figure out any other way besides flying out there and driving it back. Flight cost, time away from work, fuel cost, 1000+ miles of wear and tear on the vehicle just wasn't worth it.

10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was searching for my Lightning, I knew shipping charges would be a must if I found one out of state. I immediately factored that into my upfront costs before I even attempted to talk pricing with the dealer, so that honestly shouldnt stop someone from purchasing the vehicle if they were truly ready to buy......especially if you were THAT close on pricing.

Trucking my Lightning from Massachusetts to Texas was $1250. I couldn't figure out any other way besides flying out there and driving it back. Flight cost, time away from work, fuel cost, 1000+ miles of wear and tear on the vehicle just wasn't worth it.
What carrier did you use?

· JTBtheSISSY thinks his cobras fast.
4,002 Posts
mike i used a local broker out of west Springfield, ma kiwi trans was the name. Cost me 850 from down near Zak Attack and rook in Missouri. My i got different quotes from different vendors and the main issue was that was not a commonly traveled route. However Boston to California seems more likely. I can't say it'd be 850 but worth a shot. There is another place in Westfield, ma but i can't remember the name.

· Registered
990 Posts
Mike,
When we shipped my Mom's truck from Miami Florida to northern NY ( thousand island area) it was near $800. That was 4 years ago amidst crazy gas prices. It was cheaper because it hitched a ride on a truck headed in this direction. Shop around, there are deals to be had....Lance

· formerly oicu812
855 Posts
The more you pay the quicker it ships.tell him to pay extra for top rack only. They are not responsible for paint getting ruined. I got lucky on my first truck and found a single driver operator headed back this way and my truck was shipped with one other vehicle on a dually.

Most companies will have your truck transferred to several trucks as it moves across the country and that is just more chances of an idiot getting a hold of it.

· Registered
4 Posts
I shipped 1 from va to nj... $500.... just call around as many companies as you can my quotes started at $1200 and were every where in between. ... the way that you come out is if a driver is already going your way and has room for another they will pretty much give the spot away because it's money they wouldn't have otherwise. ... it's timing but there are trucks going every direction every day....

· Not Fast Enough
1,932 Posts
Just had a car shipped from Michigan to South Florida. $1500 on an enclosed trailer through Reliable carriers. Great communication from the driver and it got to me within a week of it being dropped off at their station.

10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mike i used a local broker out of west Springfield, ma kiwi trans was the name. Cost me 850 from down near Zak Attack and rook in Missouri. My i got different quotes from different vendors and the main issue was that was not a commonly traveled route. However Boston to California seems more likely. I can't say it'd be 850 but worth a shot. There is another place in Westfield, ma but i can't remember the name.
Gerry... There's a few around here. I will check them out, but maybe the guy got cold feet and was just looking for an out. Hell if it was $1000 I would work with the guy and eat that. As far as my truck I would probably prefer an enclosed shipper, but maybe I could ship,it with the car cover on if there's a way to secure it. One I had for my Supra years ago had eyelets in the seam so you could lock the cover in place.

· Godspeed
75 Posts
What carrier did you use?
It didn't say on the receipt, so I shot over an email to the salesman I worked with who said it was a shipper they use all the time. He said he would get back to me in the next day or so with a company name and number.

It was a straight shot, open trailer, and took a few days. The initial pick-up took a week as they were waiting for a truck to head down to the southern states. The driver was courteous and let me know when he picked up the truck, when he was a day out, and when he was a couple hours from delivery. They also asked for a location that didn't have low lying trees so he wouldn't scratch up the vehicles, definitely a person who took his job serious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.