Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Interested but price and design would have to be right. I was planning on modding mine this winter. I'd like it to look something like this.

Attachments

· Stock block 11 second club
10,562 Posts
My respone to the prospect of a sheet metal plenum is the same as the prospect of a Monster TB and Monster CAI... although I don't need it now and most likely won't need it for my future performance needs/goals I still want one.

Regarding the modified Whipple intake, Jim posted this:

That looks like Fred's. I got to see his sectioned plenum at Cecil a couple years ago. He said it did not yield measurable gains with the conventional throttle body. But...
I am definitely curious what gains could be had with the baby Whipple from a Monster CAI, Monster TB and sheet metal plenum combination.

· Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts
Interested but price and design would have to be right. I was planning on modding mine this winter. I'd like it to look something like this.
I am very close friends with the owner of who fabricated the plenum. He can fabricate almost everything from anything and does top quality work. His website is www.rarefab.com

· Registered
1,183 Posts
I wouldn't modify the plenum if I wasn't going to run a larger throttle body over the standard single blade. It doesn't make sense to increase plenum volume without running a larger TB to take advantage of it.

Positive displacement blowers do not want any restriction on the intake side.

I do have the monster TB and 5in intake tube on my Whipple 2.3. At 20lbs on pump gas its stronger than any other Whipple 2.3 I have tuned at 20lbs on pump. I don't have any dyno numbers as don't frequent dyno's.

I have considered doing something in the way of a sheet metal plenum over the winter.

· Stock block 11 second club
10,562 Posts
:bigtu

Eric, care to speculate on the performance potential of a Monster TB, Monster CAI and sheet metal intake?

· Registered
2,542 Posts
I am very close friends with the owner of who fabricated the plenum. He can fabricate almost everything from anything and does top quality work. His website is www.rarefab.com
Awesome thanks. Been to three local fab shops and no dice to do this. I'll give them a call.

· Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts
Awesome thanks. Been to three local fab shops and no dice to do this. I'll give them a call.
No problem. He will be making me one soon exactly like the one he did for Fred's and add a big O throttle body with a 5 inch intake tube.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Well, I believe that as hard as the 2.3 Whipple has been pushed, the folks the that have ventured there with the extreme pulley combos left some ET and efficiency on the table.

The plenum Whipple produced was never meant to support the volume necessary at those extreme pulley ratios.

I think with with a well designed plenum, big TB, 5in intake tube you could expect to knock a couple more tenths of the all boost Whipple record.

Reasonably I don't believe you could expect much more than that ever. However it would help folks with heavier trucks etc. reach there ET goals easier.

· Registered
2,542 Posts
No problem. He will be making me one soon exactly like the one he did for Fred's and add a big O throttle body with a 5 inch intake tube.

Nice! I've got the 170mm flange and will be buying the whipple throttle body and upgrading to all 5" intake like Eric's setup.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
If your going to go that far, don't do the set up an injustice with a big O (that TB has its place, not implying it's crap) it needs the big Whipple TB (170mm)

· Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts

· Administrator
18,757 Posts
Well, I believe that as hard as the 2.3 Whipple has been pushed, the folks the that have ventured there with the extreme pulley combos left some ET and efficiency on the table.

The plenum Whipple produced was never meant to support the volume necessary at those extreme pulley ratios.
Definately the truth. I have dabbled with pretty extreme pulley ratios and it does not improve up top.(hit the point of diminishing/dissapearing returns with my MP as well) That is why I favored adding spray to run with the big blower trucks.

Jim

· Registered
2,542 Posts

· ......Leroy Brown
1,349 Posts

· Content Under Pressure
1,643 Posts
No he is talking about the 170 that goes with my monster inlets. Its the same as a cobra crusher throttle body but has the lightning throttle linkage on it. Its a perfect match for the 5" monster cold air that I make for it.
Any links to this 170mm throttle body?

· Divergent
13,557 Posts
Agree with what Modular Big Bore said

This is a complete waste without a bigger throttle body

Leach i believe tested this and said so himself. Picked up a few poines but the $ to increase ratio was terrible

Just upgrading to a 170mm on my m122 at an average pulley ratio (6lb lower, 3" upper) made a HUGE difference. 3psi throughout the range. Truck pulls like crazy and has way more throttle response

· Registered
666 Posts
I wouldn't modify the plenum if I wasn't going to run a larger throttle body over the standard single blade. It doesn't make sense to increase plenum volume without running a larger TB to take advantage of it.

Positive displacement blowers do not want any restriction on the intake side.

I do have the monster TB and 5in intake tube on my Whipple 2.3. At 20lbs on pump gas its stronger than any other Whipple 2.3 I have tuned at 20lbs on pump. I don't have any dyno numbers as don't frequent dyno's.

I have considered doing something in the way of a sheet metal plenum over the winter.
You build it Eric, I will buy it. :bigtu:rockon_ford

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.