Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guy's I took the plung today and installed my new C & L Billet Aluminum Plenum and a Phenolic Spacer kit. There is definitely a Huge difference in the size of this plenum, verses the stock one. I took the Lightning out for a spin after we installed it and I could not believe the responsiveness of just this simple 45 minute installation mod.

The Lightning felt strong today, all the way through the powerband, verses what it felt like before. Overall drivability is definitley better, especially when you let off the accelerator. No more sudden decrease in the throttle release, when taking your foot off the accelerator, but now a steady smooth transition , coming down off acceleration.

No, it was not just that regular seat of the pants feeling, as you know this Plenum is on there. I will take it into the Dyno in a couple of weeks, as soon as I get a few more things tweaked on this vehicle, to see what HP Number and TQ I picked up here. I am thinking with the Accufab Throttle Body, being on there from before installing this New Plenum & Spacer Kit, that I must have picked up at least another 15 horsepower. We will see. Check out the picture here:

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Very nice Terry,:smt023
and it sounds like it really made a diff, WOO HOO
I've been thinking about this Mod myself,
I can see the Nitrous Flowing in that Bad Boy, :D

Best of luck, nice Mods :cheers:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does this mean you are offering the C & L Billet Aluminum Pleumn, or did you just purchase one to install on your personal truck?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After buying this one and installing it onto my truck, with my present Accufab Single Blade Throttle Body, I told C & L that I would test it and if I was satisfied, which I am, then I would carrying them. I will be calling them tomorrow, to see what arrangements we can make to stock some of these. For the money, it is well worth the investment, as the stock Plenum is somewhat restrictive, without having it ported and it will not Net you the gains as this one does . This thing outflows the stock Plenum by 160 more CFM and by porting your stock one, you are only looking at about a 30 to 40 CFM gain.

FYI, check out the Flow Chart attached and you will see the differences:

Intake Configuration Flow Rate % Increase Over Stock
Stock Plenum/TB 850 CFM Baseline
Stock Plenum/Single Blade TB 943 CFM 10.9% Increase
C&L Plenum/Stock TB 970 CFM 14% Increase
C&L Plenum/Single Blade TB 1103 CFM 29.8% Increase

·
Registered
129 Posts
the only person I know thats running a stock pleumn/throttle body would be Sonic Blue..........only because he hasn't gotten bitten by the mod bug yet!

Iam running one of the first single blade throttle bodies that where available. From BaBolt.
My upper has been ported by hand, when I had my blower off to ship to Apten, I took the time to gasket match it and give it a glass smooth finish inside.
Just looking to keep my non-nitrous truck FASTER than Robs 100hp nitrous truck [smilie=omgrofl.gif] [/i]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question for you. How much HP & TQ did you actually pickup with your SC ported, polished Plenum & Single Blade TB installed. Did you do a Dyno???

·
Registered
129 Posts
LOL

you don't know me very well :D I am a firm beliver on using a dyno, especially checking the a/f. And I don't mean one of those tailpipe sniffers ;)

Rough estimatement, my truck has been on the dyno 28 times.
And yes I did a before and after with the Apten port job and my port job. The S/B throttle body was already on, but by itself, I don't believe it did anything. But it is a piece of the total package.

Hope this works.......
Before and after the Apten blower port and my port job on the upper.
same tune, same dyno

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gator, you need to delete that dyno chart and resize it, then upload it back on here, as it is way to huge!! Cannot read it. You will have to do like I had to earlier and that is delete the post and resubmit it, with a resized picture of the dyno chart. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
litnfast said:
NEVER DYNOED!!!
STILL FAST AS SHIT!!!
I CAN RELATE PAL :smt023
(although I did get a Dyno to check A/F + HP (500/600 Club WOO HOO)
I have NEVER had a Dyno tune)

AND NOW I HAVE 3 ET's FASTER THAN GATOR's Best [smilie=omgrofl.gif]

AND FOR YOUR INFO GATOR PAL
I only launched with 60% (15% LESS than my former Zex Kit)
and I'm running a TRUE 2 to 1 Nitrous to Fuel mixture
(richer than the Zex Jetting)
So MAYBE overall I had 10-15 HP more, MAYBE

This Friday is the day I GO FOR #'s :smt026

I think this CL Upper will be a Winter Project for me,
I like the Sanded Smooth and Polished look on the outside though,
I hope you will consider selling those Terry, others are (I think they
are smoothing and finishing the outside themselves.)
:idea: (Hey you make one for me, and I'll test it FOR FREE) :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
litnfast said:
NEVER DYNOED!!!
STILL FAST AS SHIT!!!
LMAO

so just how fast is shit?
Aren't you the one saying you haven't even chipped yor truck on F150?........ LOL
So in reality, you haven't a clue what a fast Lightning is..LMMFAO.

If not, my bad

And for my buddy Rob...........

You know I run 11.9's all day without the juice, with a 6 lb lower and a 1 lb upper. What do you run with the 4lb lower and 2 lb upper without the juice?
I've run the best I got, show me the money on FRIDAY :D

**edit**
The 1lb upper is OFF the truck and a stock upper is on the blower now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts