Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought I got a good deal from a buddy for a tranny cooler, but now I am not so sure. I only have a 2400RPM stall so my temps are not too bad, maybe 170-180 in 100deg ambiant heat, but I figured a tranny cooler couldnt hurt.

I got this in from a buddy today and it is not quite what you guys were using, looks like a 10 row versus the 14 row ones some of you all use. My concern is not the decreased cooling area, it is still much larger than stock. My issue is that I do not think I can mount it looking at this picture and where the header mounts. It is 14.5 inches from top of the mounting bracket to bottom of lower mounthing bracket. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Looks ok...are you worried about trimming a little off?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Yea just by location alone...my HD cooler is mounted in a spot that gets little air flow. I retained my stocker also...

·
Site Supporter Emeritus
1,161 Posts
One of the issues I found with my original aftermarket Transmission Cooler was that with it in front of the radiator (as is the stock one) it seemed that I was trading trans heat for engine heat. I was about to buy one of the SD Coolers but didn't want it in front of my Radiator.

My resolution was to eliminate the Trans "Heater" from the radiator and the small OE cooler and use only one of these: Tru Cool coolers, rated for a 40,000 GVW truck.

It is sized such that it easily mounts behind the Heat Exchanger. I moved my fans back onto it and now I have the best of both worlds. My trans has yet to exceed 160* and since the heat removed is not then passed through the radiator, I have reduced my average engine temp by a good 5*.

I will be stocking them as soon as my "buy-in" shipment arrives and should be able to sell them for somewhat less than shown on the web page.

Mike

·
Site Supporter Emeritus
1,161 Posts
Do you not worry about the trans warming up enough in the winter time bypassing the radiator?
I'll grant you that I'm no transmission engineer but here's my take on it. I'm in California so it's not an issue, you're in Louisiana, not an issue there either. If you live in one of the Northern states or Alaska, then yes, the "Heater" is beneficial since temps as low as -40 are possible in the winter but those of us who never or rarely sees temps in the teens doesn't really need it. These are the ones that usually need better tranny cooling.

Tell ya what, I'm going to call my PHd engineering buddy who is a transmission engineer and ask him.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you bypass it? Did you plug the transmission or tie to lines together? Did you flush all the tranny fluid out of the radiator or did you cap those as well?

·
Site Supporter Emeritus
1,161 Posts
How did you bypass it? Did you plug the transmission or tie to lines together? Did you flush all the tranny fluid out of the radiator or did you cap those as well?
On my truck, when I bought a new radiator I never even connected the cooler in the radiator but I did plug the holes with a couple of inverted flare plugs to keep the dirt out should it ever be used. I cut off the OE lines, just in front of the engine and installed a couple of stainless compression fittings. Then I plumbed the Cooler with Stainless Braided hose for an neat and bulletproof setup.

I've sold these to a couple of guys already and they have not yet got them installed. I told both of them to cut off the lines in a similar spot, drain and plug the radiator cooler, remove the OE cooler and plumb (at least temporarily) with the kit that comes with the Tru Cool.

I plan on offering a complete Braided Stainless kit with all necessary fittings in the near future.

Mike

·
Retired Odderator
3,305 Posts
On my truck, when I bought a new radiator I never even connected the cooler in the radiator but I did plug the holes with a couple of inverted flare plugs to keep the dirt out should it ever be used. I cut off the OE lines, just in front of the engine and installed a couple of stainless compression fittings. Then I plumbed the Cooler with Stainless Braided hose for an neat and bulletproof setup.

I've sold these to a couple of guys already and they have not yet got them installed. I told both of them to cut off the lines in a similar spot, drain and plug the radiator cooler, remove the OE cooler and plumb (at least temporarily) with the kit that comes with the Tru Cool.

I plan on offering a complete Braided Stainless kit with all necessary fittings in the near future.

Mike
That's what I did as well, and added a dieselsite filter. Tranny never gets much over 190* running open track in august. 160-180 on the highway max.

HI MIKE !

·
Site Supporter Emeritus
1,161 Posts
Anyone know the correct fitting to plug the transmission warmer fittings on the radiator?
The fittings are 3/8" Inverted Flare, 5/8"-18 thread. Plugs are available.

Mike

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,668 Posts
always good to see new products available as "cookie cutter" style kits

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I started to install this today and ran into a little issue. I am going to bypass my radiator all together for better cooling, but had a little hang up. My 04 has the push locks to secure the tranny lines into the radiator, how do I plug those off? Do I use vice grips on the adapter and a back up wrench?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.