Lightning Rodder banner

SCT X3 datalogging issues

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  HAMMER 
#1 ·
Just got my starter tune from JJ and went to datalogg it so he could do some revisions buttttttt.... If opens the file just fine, i type in the strategy, lets me pick what paramiters to log. but after that it says "device cant open" ive tried two different laptops and one desktop. anyone else have issues like this. i have nothing but problems with trying to get this thing tuned and am having no luck what so ever. n e help would be great....... thanx guys

#2 ·
The more I read, the happier I am I picked the predator. That thing is super easy and I have never had a problem doing anything. Not trying to bash you bud, I was just speaking in generalities. Lots of these threads as of late. I have no idea what to tell you except to call Jj or sct and ask them. I wish you the best of luck and be sure to put up what you find. :)

#3 ·
the worst part is the first x3 i had didnt even come with a tune on it, and then when LFP finally emailed me one the programmer didnt work cuz it wouldnt unlock the ecm. so they sent me a new one and it ran absolutely horrable. got a tune from jj and make a world of difference but truck lays down in 3rd and rattles like crazy. lookin for n e help i can get to get it to datalog so i can get it to jj

#8 ·
first thing is first what version of windows are you running, driver revision, firmware etc etc. Trying to diagnose computer issues without proper info isnt exactly easy man.

the worst part is the first x3 i had didnt even come with a tune on it, and then when LFP finally emailed me one the programmer didnt work cuz it wouldnt unlock the ecm. so they sent me a new one and it ran absolutely horrable. got a tune from jj and make a world of difference but truck lays down in 3rd and rattles like crazy. lookin for n e help i can get to get it to datalog so i can get it to jj

They dont come with tunes from the factory...didnt read that little sheet of paper that came with yours did ya? mine had a leaflet that flat out says they do not come with any type of preloaded tune.

#4 ·
http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6637

The "how to and what to datalog" thread is above.

Please go to SCT's website and make sure you have the latest firmware version on your X3. Since you did not purchase your X3 from me I cant be sure if yours has the latest version or not. You will also need to use the latest version of livelink datalogging software and follow the instructions in my how to above. There should be no reason to input your strategy if the X3 is "talking" to your PCM, it will pull up the PID's and start the datalogging session when you hit the green button.

SCT's tech line is very helpful so you might want to try them out, they can even "remote connect" to your computer to get things fixed up.

Also if your starter tune from me is "rattling" please make sure that your fuel filter is fresh and your plugs are correct for the amount of boost, you will also want to stay out of WOT until we can make the needed adjustments according to the datalog information.

FWIW we sell SCT products 4/1 over Diablo and the main reasons for that are the quality of the product and the support and service that SCT provides. Diablo offers good products however the time it takes to program and flash the vehicle along with less then stellar technical and customer service are also reasons for our preference.

Call me if you have any questions.

JJ

#5 ·
if you follow the instructions on JJ's link in his post you should be ok

if you are running windows vista you need updated drivers...once you open up the sct software your computer should recognize the drivers needed and prompt you to download them

after all that you open up the sct software plug in your serial usb cable to your xcal than plug that into the truck and turn the key on..the xcal should make a noise and recognize what is going on and the software should read the ecm's strategy on its on and recognize which pids can be datalogged

make sure you datalog only pids in caps
JJ i hope im not stepping on your toes..just trying to help
we both know i've been through this and been helping Bill with it alot lately

sxviper if you still need help call jj or just let me know..i'll do my best to help ya out
JJ is the man and is great at mail order tunes..once you datalog the first time its easy after that

#6 ·
thanx for all the help guys. jj i took ur advice when i called u last week and installed a new fuel filter but im goin to pull my plugs in the morning. ive got ngk tr6's in it and allready have 8 more coming just in case.

#7 ·
And how in the ____ did u run so quick on a stock pully and such minor mods!!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
windows xp, firmware version 1.2.111. i understand that the programmer doesnt come from sct with a tune but i bought a stage the kit from Lightning Force Performance and it was suppose to have their custom tune on it. but they forgot to install it so i had to hastle with them for 2 weeks.

#10 ·
Stage 3 power package from LFP................ sorry

#11 ·
i downloaded the software and firmware again on my laptop and when i open the live link it says "connection to device failed" im running out of ideas

#13 ·
1st step do this
http://www.sctflash.com/getupdates.php

down load it then follow steps on this page.
http://www.sctflash.com/getupdates.php
How to use the X3/LW Updater Software:
To update your X3/SF3/LW device Firmware:

1) Download and install X3/SF3/LW Updater Software.
2) Download and save the latest firmware for your Device.
3) Setup X3/SF3/LW for a firmware update:
X3/SF3 -> Press and hold the Cancel button on the X3/SF3 device while plugging in the USB Cable.
LW -> Press and hold the Jog Wheel on the LW device while plugging in the USB Cable.
4) Open the Updater Software and press the Update Firmware button.
5) Browse for and Select the firmware file when prompted (*.LWU).
6) The firmware update will begin transferring the new firmware to your device.

you have to update firmware then send it to xcal 3. thats how it establishes it and tells it is there.

you gota have your drivers installed. it takes alil to figure it out but when you do its simple and completely bad ass.. predator looks like a 20 year old computer compared to sct xcal3 ;)

#15 ·
idk what the deal is butnow even trying to get the software and updated firmware again once i try to download the new firmware it says cannot write bulk or somthing. ill call sct tomorrow idk

#17 ·
sxviper
when your opening sct and clicking on the squiggly lines in the top left corner
is the device connected to your truck? is the key turned to the on position?

the directions in JJ's write up and what i told you are exactly what i do
although it is a real pita at times to get all the proper firmware and drivers

are you using an xcal 2 or 3?
my buddy was using and xcal 2 and his serial usb wire it didnt want to work
i swapped in my wire and x3 and it worked fine
its picky what can i say

as far as running so fast on a stuck pulley
idk..it just hauls ass i guess and the JJ tune helps out alot, i Truly DD mine as well so i didnt want to get crazy throwing parts at it..so i would make little changes race it and see what happened..it will be going faster once i get some good air in the fall

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.