Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Looking for a 6 Second run
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a few L going to Turbos? Not sure if Street Outlaws has to do with this? LOL More Power? Comes on slower, just want to be different. Would like to hear the reasons, heck I may want to try out myself one day.

NO BAIL OUTS NO REASON TO! :rockon_ford
HWB

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
Turbos are better than blowers....

Blower guys gut their trucks to run 9s.

Turbo guys retain ac, power everything, cruise control, abs, airbags, etc and run just as fast / faster.

It takes lots of power to turn a blower 20k+/- rpms....turbos run off of exhaust gas.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
It's simple, pound for pound of boost, a turbo setup can easily make 50-100% more power than a supercharged setup.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
At the same boost turbo vs. supercharger, turbo will make more power. Gotta remember, it takes power from the engine to run a blower. It costs nothing from the engine for a turbo.

·
Slowest Silver Lightning
2,547 Posts
I have noticed a few L going to Turbos? Not sure if Street Outlaws has to do with this? LOL More Power? Comes on slower, just want to be different. Would like to hear the reasons, heck I may want to try out myself one day.

NO BAIL OUTS NO REASON TO! :rockon_ford
HWB
More power. Better street characteristics. More efficient. No need to ice down between runs. No firewall hammer mod. Don't have to worry about a large pulley snapping the crank snout. Easier plug changes. I mean I could go on for days.

At the end of the day, each has benefits. For a mild build, supercharger is king because you need so many parts to go turbo.

But if you aren't careful and don't mod with the future in mind, you can easily spend more in a supercharger build than a turbo. Multiple blowers, pulleys, belts, tensioners. Yeah you can resell the parts, but guys that go turbo have way more options once the system is set up.

If there was a bolt on kit for us, more guys would go turbo. Turbos are king because you can pretty much cherry pick the powerband by turbo selection or going twin turbo.

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
It costs nothing from the engine for a turbo.
Incorrect. Restrictions in the exhaust in any form hinder effiency and adversely affect power. In the case of a turbo the benefits outweight the restriction.

·
Thinking outside the Box
334 Posts
Probably the easiest way to answer your question would be to ride in properly done turbo setup... You will then understand and WANT a turbo for sure.

P.S. IF the train like torque doesn't sell you on the idea the sound you will hear when you get off the throttle will def seal the deal. :bigtu

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,651 Posts
because a couple crooked idiots decided to rip me off, and sell me junk blower parts and strip my truck while I was in Afghanistan, so I have a 32 valve DOHC Twin Turbo truck now - cheaper to build it my way from scratch than re do all the cobbled floridian bullshit

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
If I was happy staying below 600rwhp then I would have stayed with the 2.3 whipple. I'll make considerably more power and significantly less air charge temps with a turbo at 20psi than I did with a blower.

I've owned a number of turbo charged cars and even though they were much slower than my truck at 300hp, they were a blast to drive. I love the way a turbo car drives, how the power rolls in, and how they sound.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I once heard it requires 1/3 of a hp per 1 pound of boost to drive a turbo. Where is a blower on our trucks require somewhere in the neighborhood of 50+ horsepower...Top fuel engines have roots blowers that take over 800 horsepower to run. Turbos are seen as free power.

And you say "it comes on slower" This (turbo lag)is all determined by the turbine side of the turbo. You can actually size the turbine very small and get INSTANT boost almost to the point of breaking stuff that it comes on so fast and strong....but top end power will suffer bunches because of the lack of flow through the turbine...The key is to size the turbine just right to get the proper amount of turbo lag and top end HP

Modern day technology has really improved turbos....20 years ago, very very few people ran them..and hardly any in new cars..they were seen as complicated, very expensive, hard to tune, and they all seemed to have serious turbo lag....This is back when the supercharger was king and was the power adder to have...

Now days, if you want serious power there is really only 1 way to go about it...go ride in a turbo car or truck with a proper setup and you will fall in love...you will feel very little turbo lag, only smiles and that oh so sweet sound of the turbo and blow-off valve

·
RWHP ADDICT
600 Posts
Just as i figured it's turning into a "my type of Forced induction is better " when in all honesty its about what your plans and goals for the car , or truck are , how you drive, and plan to use the vehicle and so on , a s/c has certain characteristics between a centri and a twin screw , turbos are also different in how the power comes in , having had four Buick GNs i love turbos, but s/c are nice as well, the only person who can answer the which is better is the person building and driving it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just as i figured it's turning into a "my type of Forced induction is better " when in all honesty its about what your plans and goals for the car , or truck are , how you drive, and plan to use the vehicle and so on , a s/c has certain characteristics between a centri and a twin screw , turbos are also different in how the power comes in , having had four Buick GNs i love turbos, but s/c are nice as well, the only person who can answer the which is better is the person building and driving it!
^^This too

but turbos are still king :potstirring:scared003

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Turbos rule the world

Look at class racing...n20 need weight breaks where a turbo car has to weigh more....wanna know why? They make more power then a n20 setup or blower setup

(Not counting dragsters)

Blowers are cool but way to many issues to deal with

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Turbos are life. For the street for the trAck. U can run them hard and still drive them home.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I also agree with if there was some bolt-on turbo kits that a lot more ppl would make the switch.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
I think the biggest reason we are seeing people swap over is because it no longer appears to be black magic and there are some proven combinations that have been put together by those who have paved the way for us.

Money and knowing the right people help too.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Time and effort getting turbo setups fine tuned make most give up and for sell. If you ever rode in a properly done turbo truck you'd understand.

That's how I went with the black magic turbo side. My buddy took me for a ride. 7psi 17 psi and then 24 psi. I was like wtf was that

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,645 Posts
Turbos are better than blowers....

Blower guys gut their trucks to run 9s.

Turbo guys retain ac, power everything, cruise control, abs, airbags, etc and run just as fast / faster.

It takes lots of power to turn a blower 20k+/- rpms....turbos run off of exhaust gas.
Where are all THOSE turbo guys at? :? In theory your argument sounds excellent, but looking around at the track at turbo L's, I'm not seeing it as that black and white of an easy fast build. It's certainly not impossible or never been done, but it's not anywhere near as easy as "just buy a turbo, slap it on, spend 1/2 as much as an s/c guy and go 2x as fast, duh" :shitstormretarded

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE me some turbo vehicles, and yes in all-out, endless money, trying to be the fastest guy at the track, a turbo one is going to be very hard to beat, BUT, almost nobody here has their L/HD as purely a drag only outlaw/promod style vehicle.

My disclaimer to show I'm not an anti-turbo leg humper: I LOVE my turbo SRT-4 for a daily driver because it's a blast to flog around in and has some balls, and is so much fun to drive with a turbo since I'm not always just romping it from a dead stop and more zipping around from a roll, so the turbo is a blast. And I LOVE our twin turbo explorer, although not as fun as the SRT_4 since it's auto, it's still hauls balls and fun to drive. I've got 3 turbos between 2 vehicles parked in my driveway and love em lol.

All that said, I can't ever see myself converting the HD over to turbo anytime in the foreseeable future.

"It's so much cheaper"
People like to claim how much cheaper it is to go turbo than to go twin screw blower, but go look at those "cheaper" turbo setups that look like they're some junkyard parts and some backyard mechanic that put it all together and it looks like garbage and doesn't perform anywhere near what a turbo vehicle should. Congrats you've went turbo with an ugly ass setup that still runs slower than a twin screw combo would have.

Then go look at the turbo setups that are professionally done, that look as good as they perform, and perform as good as they look, and the costs will be right on par with someone who went twin screw, if not more. (Although I bet if you asked them they'll say they only spent half of what they actually did, because once you add in all the other things they had to do to accompany the turbo build, the costs are going to fly right up there, but they won't want to admit those costs.)

"They make SO much more power"
Yup they sure can, but I have yet to see turbo L's totally dominating at the track. For every one or two turbo L builds you want to post up that are laying it down, there's another one or two s/c L builds I can also post up, and for every one successful turbo L build I can probably post up 5 or 6 turbo L builds that have never laid down a worthy # yet on the track. Have fun with a 1,000 hp dyno if it can't even get down the track. Or how funny that my 750 rwhp truck that weighs more than your 1,000 hp turbo L just went faster in the 1320...how's that work out.

I'm sure at least 1 person will reply to this and say "oh yeah,,, you're wrong, look at this 1 L that went x.xxx and made xxxx on the dyno, lets see your truck do that, blah blah blah", and whoever is going to do that, you're a f'ing idiot, because I'm not saying it can't be done, it absolutely can, and 1 for 1, the turbo build should be more badazz than the equivalent s/c build, but it's not going to be easier nor cheaper to do so. And s/c may not be easier nor cheaper either.

Long story short, if you're going turbo for the excuse that it's cheaper, you're going to get what you pay for, and it'll probably be a butt ass ugly turbo setup that won't perform any better than a $3k twin screw 2.3 whipple would perform. If you're going for the excuse that it'll make way more power, by the time you empty your wallet to accomplish a build that is done right, you'll easily have spent just as much if not more than a twin screw build, and you're going to have more work ahead of you for getting it to launch right and have balls off the line because the 4R100 isn't a very turbo friendly trans (<insert here the 2 or 3 guys who have gotten a 9 on a turbo build with 4R100, spinning those engines way harder than their s/c counterparts with 9 second twin screw trucks are....ie my point is, it's not an "easy" 9 even with a turbo>).

And I'll beat folks to the punch before they start posting up all these examples, because even though I may be missing a couple, all these guys with impressive turbo L's have spent good coin, and had their growing pains and troubles getting to where they're at. It wasn't an "easy" nor "cheap" build to get there despite what it theoretically sounds like.

paul/tits - yes he has an 8 second TT street driven L, it's also a $20-30k accufab aluminum 4v motor in that bisch with IIRC a 4l80e trans and the guy owns his own shop that builds race cars. That's a $75k truck right there if not more.

fade2black - probably the most cost effective turbo build on here since I think he did most all of it himself, and still on a 4R100, but pushing ~7500 RPM on that motor to crack into the 9.9's, and while it should go faster with the new 4R100 trans brake, that's also a couple grand and ~100 lbs onto the truck. A great performer, an impressive truck, but not a "cheap" nor "easy" build to duplicate it

casey - doesn't post much any more, and he has gone 8.8's on his street driven gen 2 with an aluminum block 2v th400 9" rear L, but that guy has gone through more motors and turbo setups than I can even recall because he's been at the game for well over a decade, that's year of experience getting there, many revamped setups, and an extremely light truck (the bed is just a plastic bed liner, just to show the level of weight savings)

baggedsvt - very clean build by George, tons of potential, but still not a cheap build as it also included a th400 trans and several outings down it still needs more dialing in to get it to launch and still running 10's. Fully 9 second capable, but just back to my point it's not as "easy" as it can sound

brad/gotboost - another clean build by George, but even Brad will tell you it wasn't cheap, also another th400 build truck, and zero track outings, and still trying to get the tune dialed in (although it may just be a lack of the "trying" part, because you have to actually take it to a tuner to tune it lol the truck ain't going to tune itself)

matias/mister gadget - another clean turbo build that has gone 9.7's in a true street competition, but far from a cheap build being 4v and 4l80e trans. And yes it's not going to be cheap nor easy for a s/c truck to accomplish that feat either (i'd bet Don Carson's 4v s/c truck that has been 9.3's at almost full weight could match it), just simply saying it's not cheap for a turbo one to do it.

redrum - a surprising turbo build to go 9.8 first time out, and with a 4R100 to boot, but unfortunately only lasted 1 outing before motor issues.

I know I've missed some others, just some examples, don't get panties in wads.

Sorry for the long post, but just putting up some real world results showing that while turbo setups are extremely impressive and can make great power and run impressive times, the ones that are holding that raised bar put their work and time in to get there, and have probably just as much invested as their twin screw counterparts, who for the most part are running on par with them still (ie for almost any turbo build you want to point out, I can probably point out an on-par competitor with a s/c build).

1 - 20 of 73 Posts