Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Can someone tell me what I can use to slow or stop surface rust that's starting on my L. Is there a product I can spray and coat the areas with?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rust.

Attachments

·
"01 Fastblack"
320 Posts
I second that question I have a lot of surface rust on my tow hitch hookup, I was going to sand it and prime and paint with rust-oleum? Or does anyone know of a better option?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not able to do a lot of prep in these areas for por15. I'll check out those other options. Anything else on the market that works well and doesn't require much/any prep?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I 2nd POR15. I would start by removing the bed as that's rather quick and easy and do everything in the back there. Then do what you can the best u can in other places.

Por 15 will give you your most durable and rust free finish for the future

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've tried por 15 on several parts, but the prep and humidity control during application is too hard to control. I think I'm going to try a product I found on the boat forums called. Boeshield-t9. Anyone have any experience with it?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Boeshield has the consistency of WD40 and would probably need constant reapplication in addition to creating an oily mess.

I'd probably go with a wax-based undercoat if POR-15 is out of the question.

·
Registered
760 Posts
what year truck are we talking about. wonder if anyone has gone to the dealer for rust warranty.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
672 Posts
I wasn't exactly clear...sorry. It goes on like WD40, but dries to a thin, sticky, clear wax. Seems like it might attract quite a bit of road grime if under your truck.

·
Aka 2003_lightning
12,215 Posts
I don't have it yet but looking to undercoat to prevent any

·
Registered
967 Posts
I had mine sprayed with an undercoating when I bought it in 2003. The dirt and grime definitely sticks to the coating but it still protects. 12 years later some areas are still holding up strong but some areas on the body is starting to flake off.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've heard vht rust converter is really good stuff. Going to hit the areas first with that then I'm undecided on the top coat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've used a product called RustCop. Comes in a aerosol can just like WD-40 so you can get right into all the tight spots, helps stop it spread

1 - 18 of 18 Posts