Lightning Rodder banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
I've been racing trucks for 15 yrs now and personally never had any failures from not having traction bars

Now I would not attempt this on a setup that makes power but in the OPs case where he isn't making any power he can get away with no bars especially on the tires he's talking about
Ten years ago or so, one of our AZLOC members snapped a U-joint and the carnage was incredible. Thousands of $$$ worth. He was barely in the 12's with a 4# lower. You might gamble on no track bars, but definitely need a DS loop.

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Ten years ago or so, one of our AZLOC members snapped a U-joint and the carnage was incredible. Thousands of $$$ worth. He was barely in the 12's with a 4# lower. You might gamble on no track bars, but definitely need a DS loop.
alot of things play a roll into this, many dont have correct drive line angle to begin with

Baggedsvt had long bars and busted his driveshaft with his driveline angle being off cause truck was lowered and never corrected
Josh busted his CF driveshaft as well when his driveline angle was off

so some on this site may gamble with wrong driveline angles while others dont

start looking into old school leaf spring setups and where pinion angle should be set based on having a traction bar of some sort vs none, youll be suprised at what some call a good angle for track running

as stated earlier, in OPs case hell be fine if truck isnt ****ed with as for drive angles, big power for sure put bars on it....But i did make passes at over 700 rwhp with no traction bars or any sort besides springs being clamped in front

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
alot of things play a roll into this, many dont have correct drive line angle to begin with

Baggedsvt had long bars and busted his driveshaft with his driveline angle being off cause truck was lowered and never corrected
Josh busted his CF driveshaft as well when his driveline angle was off

so some on this site may gamble with wrong driveline angles while others dont

start looking into old school leaf spring setups and where pinion angle should be set based on having a traction bar of some sort vs none, youll be suprised at what some call a good angle for track running

as stated earlier, in OPs case hell be fine if truck isnt ****ed with as for drive angles, big power for sure put bars on it....But i did make passes at over 700 rwhp with no traction bars or any sort besides springs being clamped in front
I was just saying' a loop is cheap insurance and definitely worth the investment.

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
OP at the end of the day its your truck. If the majority is right, we will be quick to say we told you so.

If you get away with it a few times, good for you.

IMO its a poor gamble considering the insurance cost (traction bars) to penalty ratio (gas tank, drive shaft, exhaust, rear end etc

·
Registered
759 Posts
Im gonna hold off on the track/street till i get a ds loop and tb's
have a set of lakewoods that used to be on my 03 Lightning that I'd sell for a good price. They got me very good traction on drag radials, but made the ride pretty stiff. I'd go 40$ plus the ride. I may be in the "stupid" category, but I now run stiffler long-bars, slicks, and hit 150 shot of nitrous outa the hole w/o a loop. I personally think supporting your rear leaf-spring suspension will keep you outa the trouble you're facing to begin with. I believe it's the angle/bind your rear-end gets in upon an upshift or while launching that breaks stuff vs. plain power/torque.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i did make passes at over 700 rwhp with no traction bars or any sort besides springs being clamped in front
and that's an old school trick to help keep the springs from flexing and allowing the axle to rotate too far on launch - a poor man's traction bar in other words. With a good pinion angle, this works pretty effectively - especially with stock spring packs. A lot of the same principal as running slappers or long bars to keep the axle from rotating too much.........................

Just saying...............................

Bird

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
and that's an old school trick to help keep the springs from flexing and allowing the axle to rotate too far on launch - a poor man's traction bar in other words. With a good pinion angle, this works pretty effectively - especially with stock spring packs. A lot of the same principal as running slappers or long bars to keep the axle from rotating too much.........................

Just saying...............................

Bird
Glad someone follows things

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Glad someone follows things

Follows ???? Heck - some of us were using these tricks long before you were born. You're very good at keeping up with what works and trying them out for yourself.

The problem with this trick is that it doesn't work as well with softer spring packs or (like a lot of Lightning owners do) spring packs with leaves removed to lower the trucks - in those cases, good traction control devices are necessary to keep the over-rotation from occurring while keeping pinions angles at reasonable levels for everyday driving.

I honestly don't remember hearing about any u-joints failing in these trucks, but have seen more than a couple ripped out of the rear u-joint 'saddle' due to the over-rotation chewing up the metal.

Bird

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Yes once you **** with the leaf pack you're on a whole new level of playing field....I did state as long as ppl don't **** with the leafs no bars are fine for low power

My 02 lightning had the 5 leaf pack and did just fine with no clamping or etc

Another trick on a 2 spring pack with overload is to put a snubber bushing on the front of the overload

I've ran that mod for yrs without issues

Another trick actual pinion snubber above the housing

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,457 Posts
it's a mod you're going to need sooner or later, and there's plenty of evidence of guys who damaged a LOT of crap by not having them, should be simple proof enough to just get them, vs. listening to the terrible of advice of saying go ahead and risk it because sometimes you'll get away with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dragraced a 12sec lightning on drag radials and no traction bars all the time without issue back in 2006/07. With that being said it was basically a new truck. My lightning today has stifflers bars on it. Like everyone else talked about it's cheap insurance + it could help your 60ft times! Great quality and powdercoating on the stifflers bars is killer! I didn't want to spend the money at the time but You know its 100% worth it when you open up the box!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts