Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Tyler Woosley.
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered AR Baja wheels and Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II Tires. Is it absolutely necessary to install traction bars before i hit the track with them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I went a couple times without bars. Just got some bars installed hope to better my 60'.

I pulled 1.8 and 1.9s on 295 16 Mt drag radials.

·
Mr. Crossfire
16,162 Posts
You might get lucky but you might not when ya snap a drive shaft. With no drive shaft loop, get ready to spend some coin with under carriage/parts damage.

·
Administrator
18,182 Posts
Tracks will require a driveshaft loop with sticky tires. It is senseless to run without both traction bars of some type of bar AND a loop as lots of damage can be done. Expensive damage!

Jim

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
I've ran slicks on various trucks for yrs without traction bars

On my lightning back in 2013 I ran a set of slicks no traction bars or stall or valve body with stock shocks and was going low 1.7s

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
They help the truck launch better, and can save your hide from costly damage if torque and axle wrap cause a u-joint failure.
Run without them if you want, but it's your gamble. I ran short slicks for years with hotchkis leafs and no issues or axle wrap. But when power and traction get better it was scary.

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Saying you absolutely need traction bars just cause one has slicks is like you Saying absolutely need condoms prior to marriage

If you're worried about a ujoint failing it will fail regardless having the traction bars or not

So to OP they help but aren't necessary and ppl have been racing leaf spring vehicles for decades without traction bars

·
JDM ENGINEERING
1,870 Posts
Take it from someone who once broke their driveshaft, damaging the rear end housing, tail end of the transmission, and beating the shit out of the underside of the bed and fuel tank. I did that with Nitto DR's on the street...

You need traction bars.

·
Slowest Silver Lightning
2,547 Posts
Running a sticky tire with a loop and long bars is just irresponsible and you are taking a huge gamble of something going tragically wrong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
We all know you meant without. I agree- I would be pissed if someone broke down in the next lane and damaged my vehicle or I was injured because they didn't at least have long bars & a loop while using sticky tires.

I want to reiterate, a driveshaft loop is a must for our trucks- even for just cruising- spend the $100.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Saying you absolutely need traction bars just cause one has slicks is like you Saying absolutely need condoms prior to marriage

If you're worried about a ujoint failing it will fail regardless having the traction bars or not

So to OP they help but aren't necessary and ppl have been racing leaf spring vehicles for decades without traction bars
It's not necessarily a failure of the u-joint here - it's mainly a matter of the axle over-rotating and the flange bolts eating away the u-joint support to the point that they let go - seen it on more than one DS.

Bird

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
It's not necessarily a failure of the u-joint here - it's mainly a matter of the axle over-rotating and the flange bolts eating away the u-joint support to the point that they let go - seen it on more than one DS.

Bird
I've been racing trucks for 15 yrs now and personally never had any failures from not having traction bars

Now I would not attempt this on a setup that makes power but in the OPs case where he isn't making any power he can get away with no bars especially on the tires he's talking about

·
JDM ENGINEERING
1,870 Posts

Bird
^^^^ OP Listen to Bird he is 110% right

I did break my driveshaft with only a 6lb lower, cold air and tune. I wasn't making big power, and I did it with Drag radials on the street.

This video says it all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_bhnG1KKPg Now after bars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8RaA1WXdMQ

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,604 Posts
^^^^ OP Listen to Bird he is 110% right

I did break my driveshaft with only a 6lb lower, cold air and tune. I wasn't making big power, and I did it with Drag radials on the street.

This video says it all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_bhnG1KKPg Now after bars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8RaA1WXdMQ
I shot those videos on a February day, a side street in an industrial area and cold Nitto DR's. If I would have been on a prepped track, on a warm day, with slicks, imagine how much more that axle could have rotated.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
same as maxing out the MAF, people do it, even though it's proven to be stupid

1 - 20 of 38 Posts