Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but am having a hard time describing what I’m hearing.

kids truck, 2000 Lightning. Very rough idle, sometimes dies. I changed the filter this morning, no change.
When I turn the ignition to the on position I can hear, and this is what is hard to describe, “click.....click....and then a boing” sort of sound. Sounds like it’s coming from front driver side of engine bay. I’m by myself so am having a hard time being quick enough to pin point it.

what is making that sound, I think it’s a new sound as I don’t remember it, is it a relay or something?

any help is appreciated, would like to get the kids truck back running well.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,306 Posts
What filter? Why would you change a filter for a rough idle?
Any changes lately? When did the problem start?
For issues with an idle and no check engine light I would start by checking plugs. Check coils for obvious signs of damage. As far as the noise, without a video I can't help you.

Reactions: stoffer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What filter? Why would you change a filter for a rough idle?
Any changes lately? When did the problem start?
For issues with an idle and no check engine light I would start by checking plugs. Check coils for obvious signs of damage. As far as the noise, without a video I can't help you.
I put the motorcraft fig-1114 on it. Changed because there seems to be a fuel delivery issue, I don’t drive the truck regularly, in my 17 YOs truck. He said a couple weeks ago it was squeaking order the hood and the ACC belt need to be changed. I had a cage JDM pulley on the truck and switched it over the a non caged pulley, same size. Replaced both belts. Squeaking obviously gone, but very rough idle. I drove it around the block and it seems partial throttle is fine. I bring up the noise because I’ve never noticed it before perhaps it’s been making that sound all along but I never noticed.

he isn’t driving it much as we don’t have in session school. The truck came with an old xcal 2 and I can datalog with live wire 6.5, but I don’t really know what to look for.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,306 Posts
I put the motorcraft fig-1114 on it. Changed because there seems to be a fuel delivery issue, I don’t drive the truck regularly, in my 17 YOs truck. He said a couple weeks ago it was squeaking order the hood and the ACC belt need to be changed. I had a cage JDM pulley on the truck and switched it over the a non caged pulley, same size. Replaced both belts. Squeaking obviously gone, but very rough idle. I drove it around the block and it seems partial throttle is fine. I bring up the noise because I’ve never noticed it before perhaps it’s been making that sound all along but I never noticed.

he isn’t driving it much as we don’t have in session school. The truck came with an old xcal 2 and I can datalog with live wire 6.5, but I don’t really know what to look for.
So the rough idle started after you swapped lower pullies? I'd check obvious things like ignition connections and vacuum lines.
You could check fuel pressure at idle but you'll need a gauge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the rough idle started after you swapped lower pullies? I'd check obvious things like ignition connections and vacuum lines.
You could check fuel pressure at idle but you'll need a gauge.
I “think” he said it started to idle a little “off” before the pulley change, but he’s 17 and who know what that means!

·
Registered
2 Posts

kids truck, 2000 Lightning. Very rough idle, sometimes dies. I changed the filter this morning, no change.
When I turn the ignition to the on position I can hear, and this is what is hard to describe, “click.....click....and then a boing” sort of sound. Sounds like it’s coming from front driver side of engine bay. I’m by myself so am having a hard time being quick enough to pin point it.

what is making that sound, I think it’s a new sound as I don’t remember it, is it a relay or something?

There is a system on the intake that controls the idle speed I think. It clogs.. then engine stalls. Its common. I forget name of it. Its a cheap part to change, or it can be washed out. I am not sure if it wears out. Yu can test it by giving very light throttle when you start the engine........if when you let off the gas it stalls then the thing is clogged.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,306 Posts
There is a system on the intake that controls the idle speed I think. It clogs.. then engine stalls. Its common. I forget name of it. Its a cheap part to change, or it can be washed out. I am not sure if it wears out. Yu can test it by giving very light throttle when you start the engine........if when you let off the gas it stalls then the thing is clogged.
Iac
Idle air controller

Reactions: Boss Hoss

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I thought this was licked but my son said “something isn’t right”. After I found the vacuum leak the truck idled exactly like it was supposed to, still does. He mentioned, again, it stumbles a bit about half throttle. I got in and sure enough. This time there is a code, may have had the code before but I unhooked the battery to change the pulley. Code is P1151, bank 2 front O2 sensor. Could be the sensor or a vacuum leak I guess. I did just take the truck out to grab some data and bank 1 front O2 has a average value of .42778 and it bounces from 0-.939453. Bank 2 has an average of .005059, it’s graph is way lower than bank 1, barely any movement.

O2s are of unknown age, does the data say it’s bad or could a vacuum leak on that side make the O2 report those numbers?

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,306 Posts
If the o2 isn't responding at all I'd suspect failure.

Reactions: P_Franko03

·
Registered
2 Posts

Autozone will put a code reader* on it for free. (A wi fi code reader is $8.*)

The idle air valve clogs with oil is common, stumble. Throttle makes stumble stop. LAC, But bad spark plug. Bad coil is very common, as the idle air valve. And loose coil wire. Oil on coil electrical connection. Those can be severe stumble. Code reader will tell you on the plug and coil. Stalling at idle most common is air valve from my readings, and mine had it. LAC I think it is called, very common.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, I’m just bumping this instead of a new thread. Had bank 2 sensor 1 O2 that showed no change while data logging, unknown age. Finally got around to changing it yesterday and the new one data logs fine.......and then it goes basically flat. Turned the truck off, back on, data logged fine, then it went flat again under acceleration. Turned it back of and on and it was fine when I pulled into the driveway last night but I’m not real optimistic about it.

anybody have this before? Am I missing something? Maintaining these trucks is still new to me as I bought this one for my kid less than 2 years ago. Any help is appreciated.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,306 Posts
Alright, I’m just bumping this instead of a new thread. Had bank 2 sensor 1 O2 that showed no change while data logging, unknown age. Finally got around to changing it yesterday and the new one data logs fine.......and then it goes basically flat. Turned the truck off, back on, data logged fine, then it went flat again under acceleration. Turned it back of and on and it was fine when I pulled into the driveway last night but I’m not real optimistic about it.

anybody have this before? Am I missing something? Maintaining these trucks is still new to me as I bought this one for my kid less than 2 years ago. Any help is appreciated.
Does it go flat under idle or only acceleration?
At a certain point of acceleration the truck switches from closed to open loop. This is based in load, rpm and throttle input.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ll take it out after I get finished working, but last night it was only under load and only the drivers (new O2) bank. The passenger sensor 1 data kept the same sort of data, just the bank 2 sensor 1 went flat. Turned the truck off and the reading was normal again when I turned it back on, then repeated one more time before I was done messing with it last night.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts