Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get a game plan for the motor in my hatch. I've decided, and this is final, that i'm going to run a 302 based motor with a centrifugal supercharger and intercooler. I want the car to be able to run 6.50s in the 1/8th on a 28X10.50 tire but i also wanna be able to throw on some radials to run true street. i also don't want it to be maxed out at 6.50, i want to be able to hit 9s with it in the 1/4, just not on a regular basis.

I'm thinking either a 331 or 347 in a boss 302 or dart block (still undecided on the block). I'm not sure what brands are good and will hold up well without having to spend thousands on a rotating assembly. I'm also not sure where to look for stuff. I know summit and jegs are not my only options out there but there are a lot of small shops that do great work in putting rotating assemblies together and i'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction to find this stuff.

I'm also open to cylinder head suggestions. Was thinking afr or trickflow but again im open to suggestions. also not really sure on a cam. I wanna go with something off the shelf because i wanna build the car out of parts that people can easily buy off the shelf. nothing custom.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Well a forged assembly is really cheap compared to our motors. With a forged setup and running about 12# of boost and a strong cam and any decent set of heads with a little work you should into the 10's a little weight loss(they're light anyways) should get you into the high 9's or better. or just run a 150 shot also?

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well a forged assembly is really cheap compared to our motors. With a forged setup and running about 12# of boost and a strong cam and any decent set of heads with a little work you should into the 10's a little weight loss(they're light anyways) should get you into the high 9's or better. or just run a 150 shot also?
lol, no spray. car is completely stripped with a 10 point mild steel cage. not exactly sure what it weighs though. some one else recommend eagle components. and high ports. what comp ratio should i be shooting for? it's going to be a drag only car

·
THE PROPER WAY TO POWDER THAT ASS
7,531 Posts
either the boss or the dart will suit your needs more than adequately. I like the 331 motors better myself for blowers, but thats me.

You can go all out and get diamond pistons and oliver rods, but honestly for what you want its not necessary. I know guys in the 8's with inferior products. I would get a GOOD forged h beam rod and some great forged pistons. dss and coast high performance have many stroker kits that they will put together for you bassed on your needs. I built the exact car your looking for with very mild parts. But to get the e.t it is not so much the motor as everything else with it. The motor took a weekend to build and the car to run consistently great on the street took years.

Afr heads just plain rock. I have never owned a set though. :( I went with eldelbrocks on my last go round,victor jr's and they were great. I have also run trick flows and they also were great, but not as good as the eldels in my opinion. Same with the intakes.

as an example the last build we did had a 331 with forged probe(poop) pistons,h beam rods,victor jr heads(not ported but matched,v/jr intake,bigish comp cam, and a t trim non inter-cooled at 18# of cogged boost( the blower was capable of 30#) tuned by my incompetent ass with a pms. The motor made more power than a built t-5 could handle and only lasted a couple weeks on the damn streets. Then went with a performance automatic with a manual v body,brake, and a pi 3000 stall converter. Full suspension and it was a solid high 9 sec car. mirroed a buddies build that went 9.6. And with 275,60,15 mickeys I was able to lift the front tire on the street on more than one occasion for friends watching. Making the power was simple, but getting that power to the ground took some time. I have relinquished my stake in the car but since has gone bigger and better(turbo and tubbed).

I would call around to some of the places and see what they can put together for you as far as a rotating assembly goes. They cut some crazy good deals sometimes. For what you want you dont need all THAT much power.

no2 too fast beat me to the punch, cause I am so long winded.

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
either the boss or the dart will suit your needs more than adequately. I like the 331 motors better myself for blowers, but thats me.

You can go all out and get diamond pistons and oliver rods, but honestly for what you want its not necessary. I know guys in the 8's with inferior products. I would get a GOOD forged h beam rod and some great forged pistons. dss and coast high performance have many stroker kits that they will put together for you bassed on your needs. I built the exact car your looking for with very mild parts. But to get the e.t it is not so much the motor as everything else with it. The motor took a weekend to build and the car to run consistently great on the street took years.

Afr heads just plain rock. I have never owned a set though. :( I went with eldelbrocks on my last go round,victor jr's and they were great. I have also run trick flows and they also were great, but not as good as the eldels in my opinion. Same with the intakes.

as an example the last build we did had a 331 with forged probe(poop) pistons,h beam rods,victor jr heads(not ported but matched,v/jr intake,bigish comp cam, and a t trim non inter-cooled at 18# of cogged boost( the blower was capable of 30#) tuned by my incompetent ass with a pms. The motor made more power than a built t-5 could handle and only lasted a couple weeks on the damn streets. Then went with a performance automatic with a manual v body,brake, and a pi 3000 stall converter. Full suspension and it was a solid high 9 sec car. mirroed a buddies build that went 9.6. And with 275,60,15 mickeys I was able to lift the front tire on the street on more than one occasion for friends watching. Making the power was simple, but getting that power to the ground took some time. I have relinquished my stake in the car but since has gone bigger and better(turbo and tubbed).

I would call around to some of the places and see what they can put together for you as far as a rotating assembly goes. They cut some crazy good deals sometimes. For what you want you dont need all THAT much power.

no2 too fast beat me to the punch, cause I am so long winded.
thanks stick, i respect your opinion on this cause i know you've done exactly what i plan to do. I was wondering about probe and their quality, seems like a lot of people offer probe in their kits but i don't ever hear much about them.

Like i said, I don't want to do this with a bunch of crazy parts. I want to do it just by buying the same parts that the average guy can buy. But i do want to make sure the bottom end can handle the power for sure.

·
Registered
410 Posts
347 will make awsome power but a 331 will last longer from my experience. i have probably put together over 200 sbf engines and a fully forged & studded 331 will kick some a$$! i like JE pistons with eagle 4340 h-beams and same on the crank. AFR heads are one of the best to buy right out of the box. the best advice i can give is to find someone who does outstanding balance work for your shortblock it makes all the diff. in the world. and no need for custom grind on your cam just go radical and use a degree wheel to dial that bad boy in and you will have more power than you will need to get into the 9's and like these other guys said its not all power you need to hook big time for a good 9 sec ride

·
Snail Powered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
347 will make awsome power but a 331 will last longer from my experience. i have probably put together over 200 sbf engines and a fully forged & studded 331 will kick some a$$! i like JE pistons with eagle 4340 h-beams and same on the crank. AFR heads are one of the best to buy right out of the box. the best advice i can give is to find someone who does outstanding balance work for your shortblock it makes all the diff. in the world. and no need for custom grind on your cam just go radical and use a degree wheel to dial that bad boy in and you will have more power than you will need to get into the 9's and like these other guys said its not all power you need to hook big time for a good 9 sec ride
thanks for the tips, this all sounds within reach of what i want to do. I've got a great local balancer here. I believe the owner of the company was one of the original guys that came up with the current balancing concept years ago, his last name is Cornell i believe. Guess i need to start saving for a block, probably going to do the boss since it should be plenty for my goals.

any recomendations which afr heads to run?

·
Stroked & Blown!
2,392 Posts
could go 351w and 393 stroke or larger

local guy here has 393 and 205 or 225 afrs, transbrake runs 6.50s,6.60 range all motor no issue..
be cheapest route also! good luck

·
Registered
880 Posts
I would run a relatively high CR if going with a centri. 9.5-10 with 10~12# would give you great throttle response off the line and on the street. Also If going with a large cam the dynamic compression is going to be lower on bottom-end of the RPMs the higher static CR will help resolve this "problem". You don't have to have high boost to make big power. Besides it would not require an Awesome head unit that would supply ample amounts of boost, The heat from the charger would be less, and less drag on the motor.
A Higher compression, lowish boost, high reving motor is (my opinion) much more fun to drive.

Oh and def go with a 347 Less valve shrouding and Pressure is multiplied by the surface area of the piston so larger the piston(generally) the better.

·
Farm Truck Owner
58,414 Posts
331 no machining to the block required, AFR's r cool but being fully CNC'ed n barely makin more HP than a set of Trickflows out of the box i'd do the TFS heads n have em ported. I dunno if John Bennett is still around but through the Scrantons I had him custom grind me a blower cam, off the shelf cams will work but if ur going for all u can get it's not much more especially when u figure what our cams cost.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
THE PROPER WAY TO POWDER THAT ASS
7,531 Posts
The pms is very good banks, but it takes patience to learn. I was running a slightly older version, I hear its even better now. Its similar to a stand alone in some aspects. stang tuning . net is where you can go to get a rough dial in and go from there. They used to have a big following for the pms over there and have helped a couple friends of mine. I wish I had gone there first instead of wasting time with my retarded ass monkeying through it. After I got it very close I found out about the site. I searched a car almost identicle to mine and they recommend almost a mirror of what I had just taken days to get. LOL oh well, you live and you learn. ;)

Some very good tips here Matt. You will have no issues reaching your goals. As for probe, they are just mediocre. They are fine, but I would go a different route if I were to do it again. They would absolutely help you reach your goal, but like you say you want a really good bottom end. oh and I didnt go very high on the comp ratio. Cant remember but it was no higher than 9:1, we had planned to run a TON of boost though. Even with 18# though there was no lag what so ever, and when that fuker came up on full boost, Jesus Christ was it violent. But thats why I say its more a combination of all the parts. With the looser converter and brake you can really spool it up good. And the unit was only running at about 50% capacity which helped since no intercooler. and as for heads, they are all damned good really. But the tip about the low boost higher comp ratio is a good tip.

I have seen some seriously crazy numbers with afr's, but like I say I have not run a set. I also had huge success with canfields back in the day. Any of the heads can be ported to suit. I personally would probably go for a set of afr 205's or 225's depending on what route you go. They are pricey but I have never seen a car that had a set and run bad. Hell even the fuking holley systemax deals impressed me. Granted I wasnt expecting much and they are not as good as the tricks,eldels,or afr's.

Honestly bud you will get 1000 different answers from a thousand different people. So what your doing is the right thing. Ask around. See what works and what doesnt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
DSGGEN2
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing