Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads-up to anyone considering a rollbar...

It seems as though rear bars are not requirred for class rules that require a rollbar.

There will be a post on F150 about this soon. I just heard that NHRA has approved a design for an in-cab HALO type cage that will suffice for rollbar rules!

This is not to start a debate, only to inform those that may want a rollbar and not to have it go through the back window.

The first Truck with this cage/bar will be built in the next few weeks and will debut at FFW NJ!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Awsome! That's one of the two things I don't like about the current setups.

Rich

·
Registered
202 Posts
Excellent! I have considered one at my current level, but do not want the rear bars.

Jody

·
Registered
118 Posts
The truck ison it's way to Jersey now. Jim D. is having it done for me. The rules will allow for no rear supports. Basicly it will look and be just like a full blown cage, but with no rear supports. This will work down to 10.00. At 9.99 the rear supports will have to be added to meet the 9.99 and below rules.

Rocks [smilie=fingersx.gif]

·
Administrator
18,554 Posts
This could be very interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Keep us posted on results, and please provide pics.
Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yep...it has to be done before the Jersey FFW in 3 weeks. I will know more about the time frame once the JDM crew gets home from Houston.

I asked Jim Jr. to post pics of it as soon as it gets done. so we will be seeing it within the next two weeks...I am hoping.

For those that live up there, y'all, (or should I say youz guys), will get to see it before I do.

Rocks

·
Registered
348 Posts
i am very interested in hearing more about this. i too will be needing a roll cage and dont want to have the rear bars if i do not need them yet.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ra1nmakr said:
i am very interested in hearing more about this. i too will be needing a roll cage and dont want to have the rear bars if i do not need them yet.
This subject was recently a "hot topic" and I believe the misunderstanding was that only a rollbar is needed to run 10's not a rollcage!

This new design is a improved rollbar with forward supports and in no way should be called a rollcage. Basically it uses the front section of a rollcage inorder to support the rollbar instead of rear bars, but it is a rollbar and needs only to meet rollbar rules not rollcage rules they are very different!!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
fomocofan said:
Just a heads-up to anyone considering a rollbar...

It seems as though rear bars are not requirred for class rules that require a rollbar.

There will be a post on F150 about this soon. I just heard that NHRA has approved a design for an in-cab HALO type cage that will suffice for rollbar rules!

This is not to start a debate, only to inform those that may want a rollbar and not to have it go through the back window.

The first Truck with this cage/bar will be built in the next few weeks and will debut at FFW NJ!!
That's great new's!!! I was considering just going 11.50 so I wouldn't have to put bars out the back but now I have another option!! :smt023
Thanks,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
This was a hot topic that many argued over (some even laughed at my pic's)  :LOL

A very large Company here in LI NY http://www.montanabros.com/
Also told me they felt a Bar could be certified without going through the rear window, thats why I was so verbal on it. Unfortunately my Pal John got a little pissed at them when they charged him over 8K to upgrade his current bar and re-certify him for 8's, (he basically has a Funny Car Set up now, and he was the go between in the conversations) so the talks dropped off and faded away.

Very happy to see someone finally follow through and actually make the plunge  :smt023
Good looking out Fo Mo, and way to Rock 03  :cheers:  Can't wait for pic's.....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, Hot topic indeed!

I desribed this design and was laughed at and was told by "the internet experts" that my idea was unsafe and dangerous!!

There are still some details that need to be worked out, but from what I understand, this design has been approved!

Rob, I know you know how I was treated over this issue and how people made fun of my ideas, I guess this is somewhat redeeming!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
fomocofan said:
Yes, Hot topic indeed!

I desribed this design and was laughed at and was told by "the internet experts" that my idea was unsafe and dangerous!!

There are still some details that need to be worked out, but from what I understand, this design has been approved!

Rob, I know you know how I was treated over this issue and how people made fun of my ideas, I guess this is somewhat redeeming!!
Do you know yet how much of the interior must be modded? I mean is it a rear loop with removable/swingout side bars, or does it also go down through the dash at the front corners? I apologize but I have never seen a drag Lightning with any type of bar, so I'm wondering how obtrusive it is.

Jody

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The design will be a four point "cage" with swing-out door bars.
There will be a "halo" bar around the roof aswell as a cross brace behind the seats. I'm not sure how this will fit in the truck yet, it is a concept at this point and it should be coming together in the next few weeks at JDM engineering in NJ.

·
Registered
118 Posts
OK folks, heres where it stands.  George Klauss posted om FFW rules forum saying that I could do the Halo set up that Jamie described above. Basicly it is a cage with no rear supports. Now as jamie said above...we can't call it a cage because it is actually a bar substitute.  Even though all I have to do is put rear braces on it to make it 9.99 legal.

I got excited when George posted the rules to me because I thought that was that. He even said it was NHRA approved. I then decided to call the NHRA national office in Cali. to get confirmation. They said they did not know about this yet. I guess George got it from the South Central division.

I then told Jamie the good news/bad news and asked him to call them to make sure I had ask the right questions. He did and worded it as a roll bar substitue...they then said they where working on a solution and would get back to us.

It is looking positive...but it is still in debate...LOL.   I put it on a thread on F150 but the worthless POS Tim Skelton couldn't find anything in the post to steal and post on his site, decide to turn it into a flame post. It may or may not get closed , so I wanted to make sure you folks knew where it was all at.

Here is the link to the FFW post about it.  http://forums.funfordevents.com/showthread.php?t=7452 I am hoping any updates will show up there.

Keep your fingers crossed. This would be cool not to have the bars sticking out the back windows.

Rocks [smilie=fingersx.gif]

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
fomocofan said:
There will be a "halo" bar around the roof aswell as a cross brace behind the seats.  I'm not sure how this will fit in the truck yet, it is a concept at this point and it should be coming together in the next few weeks at Precision fabrication in NJ.
It would be nice to have the rules updated to accept a 4 point rollbar to run deep in the elevens, but I dont think that will happen. It may eventually be legal for FFW races, but not for NHRA sanctioned events or IHRA events. FFW seems to make new rules as they see fit to try and satisfy either the sponsors or themselves.

6 points are the rule for now accoriding to NHRA and IHRA.

[email protected]

·
Registered
118 Posts
fomocofan said:
There will be a "halo" bar around the roof aswell as a cross brace behind the seats.  I'm not sure how this will fit in the truck yet, it is a concept at this point and it should be coming together in the next few weeks at Precision fabrication in NJ.
but not for NHRA sanctioned events or IHRA events. FFW seems to make new rules as they see fit to try and satisfy either the sponsors or themselves.

6 points are the rule for now accoriding to NHRA and IHRA.

[email protected]

Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put your bias away for a minute or two. NHRA...IS involved in this. This is not an FFW thing made to satisfy anybody. Since I already know from your posts you have issues with Jim, let me tell ya JJ...Jim called BS on the deal also. That is until the meeting they had. I could say more but I will leave it as is. Go to the FFW site and read the rules forum. The post made clealy states NHRA approved. Thanks for playing though....

G

·
03LightningRocks said:
I put it on a thread on F150 but the worthless POS Tim Skelton couldn't find anything in the post to steal and post on his site, decide to turn it into a flame post.
Blah blah blah, meaningless coming from you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Frankly I think it would be nice to have the option, but it is really not for me. I do not relish the idea of removing the dash assembly and fitting the front bars around all the wiring under the dash. I would prefer that someone come up with an NHRA acceptable way of having removable rear bars. There must be a way to make that a viable option, then again I'm no engineer. [smilie=ughug.gif] At any rate it is nice to see that NHRA officials would consider a change. Remember, it's our safety that they are concerned about and for that I'm thankful. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts